Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numotion won't Warrant Recent Repair as Wrty Started b4 WC Was Delivered

Hi All,
    I bought (with help from Medicare) a Permobil M3 last year, the chair was delivered to me on 11/11/2019. A little over a month ago I started getting a couple of different error messages from the chair which turned out to be related to it's joystick. Numotion replaced the joystick cable's a few weeks ago and is now trying to bill me $288 for parts and labor. I asked the rep why it wouldn't be covered under the one year warranty and I was told it's because the chair was ordered in July 2019 and apparently, that's the date they go by for starting the warranty. Thing is, with pretty much every other chair I've gotten in the past, the warranty started on the date the chair was delivered to me. There was no way I could have used the chair after was first received by numotion as they had to do a final fitting to do last-minute adjustments on the seating, lateral supports, headrest etc. Anyone have a similar experience to this with numotion? I plan on calling a manager back tomorrow but figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Sincerely,
    Dan G.
    Dan G. in CT

Sounds illegal. The delivery date should start the clock. What if they took a year from the order date to deliver the chair? Then, you'd have no warranty? Wrong!

Comment

I don't know about power chairs, but car warranties typically start on date of purchase rather than date of delivery. The key legalism is "in service" date. That can often mean quite a bit of time prior to actual customer delivery. It isn't a universal rule (or law), that I'm aware of, rather it is something in the fine print of the warranty itself, which is usually written up and defined by the manufacturer not the retailer or distributor. If you have the paper work from the manufacturer that includes the warranty I'd start there to understand what's going on. Don't rely on the DME to know, or even tell you the truth.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
        I don't know about power chairs, but car warranties typically start on date of purchase rather than date of delivery. The key legalism is "in service" date. That can often mean quite a bit of time prior to actual customer delivery. It isn't a universal rule (or law), that I'm aware of, rather it is something in the fine print of the warranty itself, which is usually written up and defined by the manufacturer not the retailer or distributor. If you have the paper work from the manufacturer that includes the warranty I'd start there to understand what's going on. Don't rely on the DME to know, or even tell you the truth.
        That case applies only if there are just a few days between purchase and delivery. If there is a year then you have no warranty. The only way that could apply is if the delay was your fault. Of course, they can argue anything they please. But they'd fall flat on their face in mediation or court. And they know it.

Comment

A court is going to apply whatever the warranty says, it's a private contract. There isn't a law to cite for when a warranty period begins. Gotta read the fine print.

As far as Permobil M3 power chairs are concerned:

https://permobilus.com/wp-content/up...nty-1117-1.pdf

COMMENCEMENT OF WARRANTY PERIOD
          The Warranty shall begin on the date the product is first delivered to the customer, or forty (40) days from the date the product is shipped to the dealer by Permobil, whichever comes first.

So, BIG surprise, the DME maybe isn't being honest. That NEVER happens.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

• August West
            August West commented
            Editing a comment
            Not so cut and dry. All parties must be "reasonable" and not "negligent", which are legal terms to circumvent end runs by unscrupulous parties.

That does sound like a rip off. Here is some information of the Connecticut assistive Technology Lemon Law.
          Permobil has gotten so large my guess would be as Oddity says the DME is suspect. While I've never used NuMotion I see more bad reviews than good.
          Best of luck.
          https://uwc.211ct.org/assistive-tech...device%3B%20or

Comment

Hi all,
            just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. Also, in case someone has similar cable problems, permobil only warrants their cables for 6 months. I got the below email from Frank at permobil who tried to arrange a credit but was unable as the order had already gone through.
            --------------
            Dan,
            My name is Frank Morrone and I am the Permobil rep in NY. I’m sorry you are having issues with your cables. Our warranty on cables is 6 months. The main portion of the chair is 1 year. The warranty starts when the chair is delivered to the dealer which technically is our customer. We have no control as to when a wheelchair provider actually delivers the chair to the end user.
            That being said, as a good faith gesture I will try and get approval to get these cables at no charge.
            Best Regards,
            Frank
            Dan G. in CT

Comment

Working...
            X