Introducing “Devastator”!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing “Devastator”!

Four years ago I made up “The Beast” for our son. (https://www.carecure.net/forum/sci-c...2127-the-beast). It has been great, but one of its major limitations is traction, particularly on sand.

So, here is “Devastator”...https://photos.app.goo.gl/HGkU75u5marpLcxP7

So far it has exceeded our expectations. My son can finally access the soft sandy beaches that we have near us, and bush walks might become a more regular activity.

He’s still to try going up a set of steps (which I’m confident it can do), but if anyone has any other suggested test terrain, let me know!

(I’m not the first to come up with this idea...but until I saw this great YouTube video on how to make one, I thought there must be a reason that it wouldn’t work. https://youtu.be/V6kJOXr3HzA)

The motors used are 250W, one in each rear wheel. Main reason for such low power was that was all that I could find available in Perth at the moment. If it hadn’t worked, I had plans for upgrading, in addition to getting hub motors for the front two wheels to make it four wheel drive. But there’s no need at the moment!

Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

That's pretty amazing.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

• Gordy1
      Gordy1 commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s a game-changer for us. I should have made it years ago!

That is awesome! My daughter and I were just watching the video and it looks like a lot of fun!

Comment

• Gordy1
      Gordy1 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is definitely fun! We’re off into the hills this weekend to give it a bit more testing.

Some thoughts if anyone is considering making one of these:
    - we had lots of discussion about Devastator’s width. One thought was to make it wide enough so that a wheelchair could roll on from the rear, which would make getting on/off easier. I see no reason why that wouldn’t be achievable, but we thought that the extra width might prevent access to trails that have limited width access (to prevent vehicles entering). However, had we made it slightly wider then my son could get his wheelchair between the front wheels to then transfer into the seat very easily. (With the current setup he gets up onto a rear rack, then swings his legs across into the seat).
    - we used one of my son’s old wheelchairs for the seat, unlike the welded structure that Zack made up in his video. Our method was cheaper because we had the chair, but Zack’s will be stronger.
    - the front steering connecting system needs upgrading to stronger components. In hindsight, I wish I hadn’t cut the handlebars so short, as I could have used the ends of the handlebars as the steering connection, which would have been perfect.
    - Zack has gone on to make a completely different setup (https://notawheelchair.com), which was posted on CC in a separate thread. I think their logic was to make access to the seat easier from a wheelchair, plus the ability to carry a wheelchair. Unfortunately I think their new machine has less traction in the rear wheels, and ground clearance is less, both of which are really important for our purposes. And I think I can get my son’s wheelchair attached to Devastator somehow.
    - there is so much potential with these ebikes for getting people off-road, with limited noise and environmental impact. My brain is hurting with all the ideas I have!!!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Nice work! Can your son transfer into this independently? Also, out of curiosity is the main reason for going through this effort as opposed to getting a typical four-wheeler just so you can use it in public places? Again, this is very impressive.

Comment

• Gordy1
        Gordy1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Brad. Yes, he can transfer in and out independently. He pushes up onto one of the rear carriers, then lifts his legs over. Not the easiest transfer, but do-able.
        He’s ridden four-wheelers (or quad bikes as we call them here), but he doesn’t feel that stable on them (although his feet are strapped down), his legs need to be protected from the heat, they aren’t that stable on laterally sloping ground (so rolling is something that scares me), and with our dry sandy beaches only 4WD quads work, which are huge and heavy (as well as noisy).
        I started looking at commercial electric off-roaders, and even applied for some funding for one but we got knocked back (even though our application logic seemed to match all the funding requirements explained to us). So being as stubborn as I am when it comes to access for our son, I decided buying the components and making it was the only option. (I’m going to have a fun discussion at the next meeting with the funding folk...!)
        We’re off into our local hills later today...on walking and cycling tracks. Couldn’t do that on a four-wheeler here. Nor could a four-wheeler have gone on any of the beaches or tracks shown on the video.

Oddity not sure why this thread has been moved to the Manufacturer and Vendor Forum...I’m not selling anything! I’d prefer if it was back in “Equipment & Supplies” which is where the majority of my posts reside....

Comment

• Oddity
        Oddity commented
        Editing a comment
        I dunno either. I already sent a note to the other Mods saying this was a private project, not at all a commercial venture, but maybe someone missed it or I left someone off the list (more likely). I'll sort it out. No worries.
        Last edited by Oddity; 9 Oct 2020, 8:14 PM.

• Gordy1
        Gordy1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Oddity! (Hmm...can’t tag you in a comment it seems...!) Edit: it automatically tagged you...all good!

Yesterday was a lot of fun...https://photos.app.goo.gl/389DDfZNuAmddSGh6

Comment

Wow, that is really cool. Well done!
        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Working...
        X