Reduced Effort Steering for Toyota Sienna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reduced Effort Steering for Toyota Sienna

I'm getting old so I'm looking at options for possibly adding reduced effort steering to my 2014 Toyota Sienna with Electronic Power Steering (EPS). I came across a system that looks pretty good here (https://www.independentdrivingsystems.com/gen-xr) from Independent Driving Systems. You don't need to send them anything (steering module, etc.). It's sensitivity is configurable and looks like a pretty easy install. Has anyone had any experience with this unit or IDS? Good or bad.

Thanks!

the only thing we've ever done with there stuff in the past is take it out of peoples vehicles throw it in the trash and install something that actually worked.

last time i checked no new england states agency will accept any of there equipment, same thing went for there home state.

Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Comment

So that would be bad . Thanks for your input. You've probably saved me a lot of trouble.

Comment

Yea I was interested in reduced effort also with my Pacifica. They wanted $7,000 to install at my vendor. No thanks. You would think with electronic steering it would not be that difficult for it to be configurable. Maybe just software. What's really funky about my Pacifica is that some days its very easy to turn other times significant more strength required. I have not been able to find an after market that's reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by miltongm09 View Post
          Yea I was interested in reduced effort also with my Pacifica. They wanted $7,000 to install at my vendor. No thanks. You would think with electronic steering it would not be that difficult for it to be configurable. Maybe just software. What's really funky about my Pacifica is that some days its very easy to turn other times significant more strength required. I have not been able to find an after market that's reasonable.
          Totally agree. My vendor estimated 10K. That's just crazy for EPS since it's already a configurable part. From what I've read, the three different packages have different steering profiles already, with the Touring package the easiest. The extra backup is pretty silly too IMHO and just adds an unnecessary cost. It should be an option instead of an NMEDA-required cash grab.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post

...The extra backup is pretty silly too IMHO and just adds an unnecessary cost. It should be an option instead of an NMEDA-required cash grab.
            Yes, I have a 2016 Sienna with EPS and backup battery, which my installer agreed is an NMEDA fxck job. Does anyone here know if I can let the backup battery die and just not replace it? My installer said he thinks an alarm will go off if I remove the system. Is there a way to bypass that? Click image for larger version

Name:	siennaBackupBattyFuse.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	2905664

We all need to organize against NMEDA. If there is already a movement, please let me know.
            "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

I use a suicide knob on the steering wheel for turning. Makes it much easier to turn my Pacifica. They run about 120.00

Comment

AFAIK all VW/Audi with electric power steering have a certain amount of adjustability using the factory tool or aftermarket like VAG/Com.
                (I've been driving GTIs with electric PS 14 years and had the tool at my shop but never played with it)
                I would hunch that all or nearly all vehicle w/electric PS would have a range of assist that is easily dialed in with the right scan tool.
                69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                NW NJ

Comment

Working...
                X