Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Stage pressure sore, any mattress topper recommendations? OK to use Tegaderm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Stage pressure sore, any mattress topper recommendations? OK to use Tegaderm?

Hello everyone,
    I'm looking for recommendations for a mattress topper for my queen size adjustable bed. I recently noticed a pressure sore on my right rib cage which I'm assuming was caused by my sleeping on my right side and the right side lateral support on my power chair. I have an appointment set up with my OT to look at the chair and I'm hoping a new mattress topper will help matters too. I had a similar problem a few years ago and bought an Eluxury brand mattress topper which helped a lot but it's getting old and not as thick and soft as it used to be. I noticed the KARRISM Extra Thick Mattress Topper at amazon.com and it looks very comfortable, very thick, very soft. Anyone here have experience with something like this? I looked into air mattresses (Sleep Number, etc.) but I'm concerned about power outages, I live alone and would hate to be stuck in a deflated bed during a power outage.

Also, does putting Tegaderm on the area help or make things worse? There is some shear going on as I move around in my chair and my bed. I started putting Tegaderm on the area about a year ago after noticing some redness there. It seemed to help until this latest redness appeared. FYI, redness does appear to be caused by pressure rather than shear, the skin seems intact and no oozing. I left the Tegaderm off for one day so the area could get some air but the spot seemed to get bigger.

If the pictures uploaded correctly, the one with the tegaderm was taken a little over a week ago, without the tegaderm, last night.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
    Dan G. in CT
Working...
X