Exoskeleton for pressure relief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exoskeleton for pressure relief?

For the last couple of years, I've been having a real problem with pressure ulcers. I just can't seem to get rid of them no matter what I do. I've been doing this for a long time so I know how to do pressure releases and everything else. I go to the wound care center. I take vitamins. I do everything. I know this isn't going to be anything immediate, but I just want to put the idea out there. Could somebody develop a very simple kind of exoskeleton thing that somebody who is a quad can wear while in bed so that they do regular shifts of their weight? It would probably be far less of a challenge than making an exoskeleton that can walk. Is this a dumb idea?

Not a dumb idea, but perhaps overly complicated. If it’s really just while in bed that you’re worried about, developing a better pressure relieving bed would seem simpler. Maybe something that is able to sense pressure and take into account what phase of sleep you are in to minimize sleep disturbances when redistributing the pressure.

Comment

I think there's a special mattress that has air sections. I had one last year in rehab. facility for one month. The firmness was adjustable. If it became under-inflated it was hard for me to do slight push up for transfer to wheelchair, so I had them keep it at very firm. I think there may be other special mattresses you may want to explore.
      Regarding the idea of the exoskeleton, great idea, but I would worry about skin pressure spots while wear a device.

Comment

What would REALLY work would be a float bed. Basically a tank of water like a sensory deprivation tank, and you lower yourself in it and float to sleep. Need some kind of rubber body suit to keep yourself dry, but it would perfectly maintain your body temperature and you can’t get any better pressure distribution than that unless you invent an antigravity machine.

Comment

Not an exoskeleton, but I've used the Volkner turning system for a couple of years with no pressure problems.
          https://www.volkner.com/
          ​​​​​
          C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

There are several turning mattresses and beds, both low air loss (LAL) and otherwise on the market. There are also air fluidized beds like the Clinitron, but they are really not appropriately used for prevention. There is also the fluid immersion simulation mattress like the Dolphin, but turning is still required for use of that mattress.

Where are your pressure injuries located? Are they from sitting or laying in bed?

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
              What would REALLY work would be a float bed. Basically a tank of water like a sensory deprivation tank, and you lower yourself in it and float to sleep. Need some kind of rubber body suit to keep yourself dry, but it would perfectly maintain your body temperature and you can’t get any better pressure distribution than that unless you invent an antigravity machine.

In the series, Away, the astronauts are shown sleeping in mid-air, in gravity-free spaceship. Maybe your comment about an antigravity machine will become real someday - such as a 'sleeping pod'.

Comment

Working...
              X