No announcement yet.

How to drain smart drive MX1+ battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to drain smart drive MX1+ battery?

Going to be listing my MX1+ for sale soon. Need to know how to drain the battery before shipping it. I would rather not have to let me it push me around my neighborhood for 10 miles just to drain it. Aside from plugging the battery into the drive wheel and connecting the switches and leaving it on (which I assume is going to take forever to drain), is there a quicker way of doing this? It won't let me sit it on the ground and let the wheel spin. I guess it has to feel resistance to work.

3-4 days on (don't have to be using it) will fully discharge it.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Why do you want to drain it? I sold mine and just sent it fully charged. They come from the factory fully charged.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
          Why do you want to drain it? I sold mine and just sent it fully charged. They come from the factory fully charged.
          From what I've read you aren't supposed to ship a lithium battery unless it is at 30% capacity or less. But if they come fully charged then maybe it doesn't matter...

Comment

Beware that if you drain the battery to zero it may not be able to accept and hold a new charge. So I'd suggest you don't drain it fully.

Comment

I believe it depends on how you are shipping it. I would check with them.
              "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

Comment

First of all, the MX1 is a LIFEP04 battery. There has not been a history of lifep04 shipping issues. Check with your carrier. Second I would never purposely drain down a battery pack, especially those as I do not remember seeing a BMS in them. But once drained too low the pack can be damaged forever.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I checked at the PO today. They said no problem shipping it. Its the same as people sending cell phones.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                    First of all, the MX1 is a LIFEP04 battery. There has not been a history of lifep04 shipping issues. Check with your carrier. Second I would never purposely drain down a battery pack, especially those as I do not remember seeing a BMS in them. But once drained too low the pack can be damaged forever.
                    I decided not to drain the battery as suggested. But out of curiosity are you saying smart drive batteries should never be run totally out, even in everyday use (not intentionally drained)? I have never had this situation happen, but I'm sure others that use these for extended periods of time eventually run the batteries all the way down at some point. I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem.

Comment

You're right in that it's not a problem to drain a SmartDrive battery. Having said that, it depends on what you mean by a drained battery. The manufactures are well aware of how their batteries work. If the battery is at risk of damage at 20% charge, they will shut down the SmartDrive at 30% charge to protect the battery. When that happens you could say the battery is fully discharged. But there is still some reserve charge.

In other words, unless you let it sit for several months, maybe even more than a year, it's not even possible to drain the battery to the point of damage. Just using it periodically will suffice to keep the battery in decent shape even if you let it "fully discharge".

Comment

Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
                        I decided not to drain the battery as suggested. But out of curiosity are you saying smart drive batteries should never be run totally out, even in everyday use (not intentionally drained)? I have never had this situation happen, but I'm sure others that use these for extended periods of time eventually run the batteries all the way down at some point. I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem.
                        Correct Brad, you can run the MX1 installed for miles as it is a powerful battery. I do not recall of anyone complaining of one running out of juice, but as Auggie says there would be reserve to protect the cells. My point was more about not approaching that point as these batteries are getting old and their condition is unknown. I also was responding directly to your question of 'how to drain a MX1 battery'. First I need to explain it as Auggie discussed already. The battery only shuts down at 30% because something tells it to. I suspect that the SD and not circuitry in the battery pack tells it to. I don't recall seeing a BMS in the battery pack, but I may be wrong, there might have been a low voltage cutoff switch near the on/off switch to send that shut off signal. So back to your drain question, not using the SD for a load, but something that would be quicker would not have a low voltage cutoff switch, and could take the pack down past 20% easily.
                        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post

Correct Brad, you can run the MX1 installed for miles as it is a powerful battery. I do not recall of anyone complaining of one running out of juice, but as Auggie says there would be reserve to protect the cells. My point was more about not approaching that point as these batteries are getting old and their condition is unknown. I also was responding directly to your question of 'how to drain a MX1 battery'. First I need to explain it as Auggie discussed already. The battery only shuts down at 30% because something tells it to. I suspect that the SD and not circuitry in the battery pack tells it to. I don't recall seeing a BMS in the battery pack, but I may be wrong, there might have been a low voltage cutoff switch near the on/off switch to send that shut off signal. So back to your drain question, not using the SD for a load, but something that would be quicker would not have a low voltage cutoff switch, and could take the pack down past 20% easily.
                          Makes sense, thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X