Marathon Plus failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marathon Plus failure

So failure might be a bit misleading. It did get punctured though. In >10 years rolling only these tires I've never had a puncture, and I've gotten so confident in their puncture resistance that, while I won't go out of my way to roll over glass, I also won't go very far out of my way to avoid rolling over glass. Yesterday I was rolling across the street when I heard and felt the hissing as my tire deflated (luckily I hadn't gone very far from my apartment).

I find this big sucker stuck in my tire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-x94xHcp-X3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	2900741

Name:	i-2Zg25HP-X3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	2900742

Name:	i-5NX8jXv-X3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2900744

Obviously I know marathon's aren't puncture proof, but it's still kind of surprising to me that this piece of glass punctured the tire. I guess it probably just hit a "perfect" angle and the sharp edge got forced straight into the tire. It was about time to order another pair of marathons anyway, so I guess I'll go ahead and do that this afternoon. One puncture in 11 years and probably 8-10,000 miles still ain't too shabby... I just wish they weren't such a bear to get on and off the rim when I finally did get a puncture.
    Attached Files

Dang that's a nice chunk of glass! I use tire spoon levers (I have left over from my motorbike days) on Marathons. I also zip tie them down as I go, about one per spoke. 2 Decent ~10-12" tire spoon levers have plenty of leverage and are non scratching (used properly).
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I have some big tire change levers left over from my motorcycle days that I use in combination with one small plastic bike tire changing lever. It gets the job done, but it's tough to not scratch the inside with the levers because it's so tight getting them up underneath the tire. I can get it done, but I also probably pinch the tube about 1/3 of the time which is pretty annoying.

Comment

That's a nice slice there. I had a similar experience with my Right Runs a while back. A friend had dropped a drinking glass then cleaned up, except for the one piece without light reflection to reveal it lying in wait, the little sucker!
        I ran over this and my tyre dropped immediately, sliced right through like a hot knife through butter. I admit that I sat there for a moment wondering what the H had happened.
        Last week a new Right Run blew after only having been fitted 4 hours previously; not over inflated either. It must have been a dodgy one.

Comment

I Have my bike shop install a very thick rim tape. It has made a world of difference with flats over the years. Just a thought if you do get a new set of tires.

Comment

The bigger danger of picking up glass is tearing up your hands. That's why I treat my Marathons as if they were Primos (go flat easily).

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
              The bigger danger of picking up glass is tearing up your hands. That's why I treat my Marathons as if they were Primos (go flat easily).
              You’re absolutely right about the glass and hands. Since my Injury I am pretty prone to breaking glasses, probably drop one on the floor once or twice a year. Have cut my hands several times on glass that got picked up in the tires. This is the first time the tube got cut though.

Comment

Like Joe Monte, I have a bike guy change my Marathons. The beauty is that he runs his business from a truck and comes to the house. Given that I only need them replaced about once in 8 years, I find the price of $50 to be more than reasonable.

I did do it once myself and it was difficult. Since I am not on a tiny budget... YES , glad to pay. Oddity, I love the zip tie idea!

Comment

How to install a marathon tire without any tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Comment

When this video circulated last year I used it to shame my older brother about installing my marathon plus tires. He is 70 but in good shape and still rock climbs among other active pursuits. He installed my next set of marathon plus tires, on Spinergy rims, without tools. I watched and it went smoothly and more quickly than when he used tools. It just takes good technique and reasonably strong hands.

Comment

On a whim I ordered a set of Schwalbe Ones. We'll see how those run. It's a whole new world now that I have a backup set of wheels. I'm not sure how I survived living with just one set of rims for so long.

Comment

Working...
                      X