Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite lube and/or hydrophilic catheters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite lube and/or hydrophilic catheters?

My long-standing (two decades!) combo of the basic Mentor cath + KY Jelly is no longer working for some reason (not lubricious enough), so I've been exploring better options. Seems like there's a ton of newer stuff out there now, so I'm curious: what do folks on here prefer for their hydrophilic catheters? I've been trying the LoFric Origo ones, which work pretty well, but I'm curious if there are even better alternatives.

Alternatively, outside of hydrophilic caths, do folks have a preference on better lube than KY? I've liked KY because the 4oz flipcap ones let me stick a (clean, sterile) catheter directly through the flipcap and into the bottle, which evenly lubes the entire circumference of the catheter, without making extra mess and keeping the entire process pretty clean, but it's just not slippery enough anymore.

I sure don't miss having to mess with a container of lubricant. I use the Cure HM14 hydrophilic. My C7 hands can easily burst the water packet and open the package for the catheter removal. It has a little fabric-like guide sleeve which I find much easier to use then molded rubber sleeve some other brands have. The catheter itself is stiff enough to push in from the funnel end with little guiding. Some of the others were so flexible they needed to be gripped right near the point of entry.

Comment

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! And here I thought I was so clever figuring out how to cleanly cath by just holding the end but I guess a bunch of other folks do it too

• endo_aftermath
      endo_aftermath commented
      Editing a comment
      I can push it in from the funnel end with "little" guiding, but not with no guiding. The guide sleeve they furnish allows me to do some guiding without any hand contact with the catheter. This Cure HM14 catheter seems to be in the mid range of stiffness. Some of the stiffer brands were almost ridgid.

Hollister also makes some nice hydrophilic catheters, as does Mentor. Check on their websites, as they may offer free samples.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't like the Mentor ones that I've tried so far, but I'll check out Hollister!

I use SURGI-gel plus in the sachet as my carry lube. It has enough stick that stays put and doesn't run off the tube. I believe it stays put better on its way to the work face.
    Slit the sachet at the top to access - the Coloplast cath is dipped in . The sachet is folded at the top and placed in my sealed carry container.

A friend I know uses Botox. He has his sphincter tightening up periodically and his solution is a small syringe (no needle) to inject a small amount into the old boy; gel is carried forward and eases entry past his misbehaving sphincter.

To answer faji-tama.
    The sachets are 3" x 1 1/2". I trim off 1/4" to access the gell and scallop one side to ease opening for catheter access.
    I used to just snip the corner but found it fiddly to get the catheter into the sachet. It was also often messier with the gel 'escaping' ...
    These images will better explain. The Click sealed container holds my sterilised catheters.
    Being a MOH (Ministry of Health) patient we are expected to reuse our catheters a number of times. Ministry of Health are treated as second tier; even though we all pay ACC levies and taxes.
    ACC (Accident Compensation Commission) clients get new catheters for every piss.
    Off my soapbox.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200724_174154.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.4 KB ID:	2900613 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200724_174249.jpg Views:	0 Size:	419.8 KB ID:	2900614 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200724_174332.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.0 KB ID:	2900615 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200724_174425.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.3 KB ID:	2900616

Last edited by slow_runner; 07-24-2020, 02:25 AM.

Comment

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      These sachets aren't that big, right? So I'm guessing it's just enough to lube the first 3-4"? I've gotten used to lubing the first 6-7" (which doesn't seem to be working anymore for me)

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the photos, that's helpful! I guess this setup works if you're not traveling, but is a bit harder if you're on the go (unless you just one-time use).

But ah is the sphincter tightening a known botox side-effect? Asked my uro about it today and she said it shouldn't be, but...

I just found out today that a few countries seem to expect/require/pay for reuse of catheters :/ I did the same as a kid, but I was too young to know why (I'm guessing it was just too expensive for my parents back then)

LoFric Primo user here. Fairly easy to break open the water packet and get slick as hell if you let them sit for around 30 seconds before using. Nice to have left the red rubber and KY in the rear view mirror.

Comment

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah I saw those, do you know what the difference between the Primo and Origo is?

• Sit-N-Fly
      Sit-N-Fly commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the Origo has some kind of adjustable grip, while the Primo just has a grip at the top.

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, if they're the exact same I should prob get the Primo then, cuz I actually dislike the grip/sleeve. And the Primo is probably cheaper as well!

The best for me is SpeediCath (not the compact though). Easy to use, no packet of water to break, rigid enough for one hand insertion.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      I just tried the samples I got yesterday, but the Speedicaths (the ones in the stiff green packets?) seem way, way too stiff to me :/ (I cath while sitting on the toilet so I need enough flex for it to easily bend into the bowl)

Faji_tama: Can you piss facing the bowl? Facing the bowl, you wouldn't need to be concerned so much with bending the catheter tube.
    Or are you talking the one/two combo toilet stop?

Edit for faji_tama :
    On-the-go catheter.
    These catheter tubes come in a plastic sheath designed to open at the drain end. I open the drain end then push the catheter tube back to perforate the closed end of the sheath. Lube it up, slip it in then hang the sheath over the bowl edge while moving it as far as the green drain end- giving double length.
    Then ease the catheter tube in until I get flow. Be careful that the urine has a clear run.
    When finished the catheter and packaging sheath go into the waste basket after rinsing in the basin. If there is a basin.
    I usually just catheter into my traveling bottle with my re-usables and do the usual clean procedure.
    If the facility is an unclean environment I will use my disposable gloves, wipes if necessary and a new Catheter tube straight into the dunny so I avoid touching anything other than my dick.
    Some places appear very clean while others are filthy shit holes; some without basins or water or hooks for your bags .....

I cannot find any images of the packaged coloplast .

https://www.healthykin.com/p-4120-co...-catheter.aspx
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-24-2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I used closed kits when I was younger, and then at some point just started sitting on the toilet cuz it was easier to keep everything as clean as possible, and to switch out my incontinence pads if I needed to, but yeah, the combo is part of it now as well.

I think I've tried to face the bowl a few times before, but aside from the aforementioned problems, I also just can't get close enough to the bowl that way unless I'm riiight up against it (and I def don't like doing that with public toilets!)

I am talking about the ones that are in the long white foil packages like this:
    https://www.coloplast.ca/speedicath-1-en-ca.aspx

not the Compact in the green stiff packages that are effectively really too stiff for me too. Don’t like these either:
    https://www.coloplast.ca/SpeediCath-...ale-en-ca.aspx
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I think we're talking about the same ones, although the samples I got are green foil instead of the white foil. Newer/older version, perhaps?

I didn't realize the compacts were EVEN stiffer though: definitely would pass on those. The Lofric ones I've been trying are about the same softness as the Coloplast Self Caths I was using previously, if not a bit softer, and the tip is less pointy/sharp too, which is nice. I miss the clear translucent tubing though since it's a good way to monitor if my urine's looking cloudy or not.

• JGNI
      JGNI commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they used to be in a green package in the past. So, even with something like 14FR you are still having problems passing it? You might have a little stricture of the urethra that is causing this problem (maybe you already know it's not the case though, just thinking in writing here). Just look that up with your urologist, very simple procedure to fix it.

• faji_tama
      faji_tama commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually use a 12FR! I started another post about this, but yeah I've been having some issues ever since I had my botox procedure. If anything, I think it's less a stricture concern and more a potential false passage or prostate issue, but giving it some time to see how it plays out.

Another vote for Lofric Primo. They're small and compact, flexible enough to fold/coil a bit for fitting into a supplies pouch. A little bendy on the insert if you've got much resistance but one hand is usually doable. There is a small sleeve protecting the cath tube that you can leave attached for a support hand if necessary. I don't have to.

(I have noticed quite a lot of misaligned guide marks on the funnel end for marking which way the coude tip curves. I have to check that at each insert, to make sure it doesn't rotate, because that mark is not always lined up where it should be.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Working...
    X