quad/tetra pushrums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quad/tetra pushrums

Well our options are very slim these days for decent push rims for quads. I used to love to push blaXs however they are absolutely horrible now, so I switched over to rip grips which I loved but now they only offer a cover which does not work for me at all nor would I recommend them for any strong quad. The outfront Q grips work out pretty well but they don't last. I'm getting ready to try to Carbolife German hand rim, a lot of my UK customers have said work out really good. Any of my quad peeps out there have any ideas or different options?
    I would like to find something decent so that I can carry it and offer to our quad tetra community.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

When I was able to push (shoulders gone now), my PT spirally wrapped medical rubber tubing around my push rims. The spiral wrap of the tubing doesn't need to cover the whole push rim. Mine was about 3 inches spaced. With little grip at that time, it really helped.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

I really like Q-grips for their grip even when wet and, until more recently, for their durability.

I bought my first set of Q-grips about 5 years ago and they lasted almost four years. Toward the end they were getting splits in the side several inches long. At first I thought I was cutting them on my EZ-lock in the van but eventually realized they were just falling apart. The metal to neoprene bond seemed to have failed allowing the neoprene to tear. My daily roll includes some steep downhill rolls where I drag my hands on the area that has failed, generating some heat with my leather gloves and it is the same part of the rim where my hands contact when pushing. With 4 years of life I wasn’t too disappointed. I got a few months extra life out of them by patching with super glue.

I bought a replacement set of Q-grips and one of them started to have the same kind of failures (more than 15 so far) at about nine months. I have glued splits almost all the way around now. The other push rim was in pretty good shape for several months longer. They have been subjected to the same use as they routinely get switched back and forth. These push rims are getting in bad enough shape that I need to replace them.

From friends who had various brands of coated rims, I haven’t seen any that offered the performance and durability of my first set of Q-grips. But having these more recent push rims fall apart so quickly has me spooked. Is there any chance you’ve heard about temporary manufacturing quality problems from Out-Front, something they are aware of and have fixed? I wrote Out-Front directly about this but never received a response. Neither phone number on their website was functioning-- one out of order and the other not taking messages.

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
        I really like Q-grips for their grip even when wet and, until more recently, for their durability.

I bought my first set of Q-grips about 5 years ago and they lasted almost four years. Toward the end they were getting splits in the side several inches long. At first I thought I was cutting them on my EZ-lock in the van but eventually realized they were just falling apart. The metal to neoprene bond seemed to have failed allowing the neoprene to tear. My daily roll includes some steep downhill rolls where I drag my hands on the area that has failed, generating some heat with my leather gloves and it is the same part of the rim where my hands contact when pushing. With 4 years of life I wasn’t too disappointed. I got a few months extra life out of them by patching with super glue.

I bought a replacement set of Q-grips and one of them started to have the same kind of failures (more than 15 so far) at about nine months. I have glued splits almost all the way around now. The other push rim was in pretty good shape for several months longer. They have been subjected to the same use as they routinely get switched back and forth. These push rims are getting in bad enough shape that I need to replace them.

From friends who had various brands of coated rims, I haven’t seen any that offered the performance and durability of my first set of Q-grips. But having these more recent push rims fall apart so quickly has me spooked. Is there any chance you’ve heard about temporary manufacturing quality problems from Out-Front, something they are aware of and have fixed? I wrote Out-Front directly about this but never received a response. Neither phone number on their website was functioning-- one out of order and the other not taking messages.

Same thing happened with mine except for they were shredded within three months. They said that there hasn't been any manufacturing changes.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com

Comment

• endo_aftermath
          endo_aftermath commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you tried the New Solutions Push Rim Cover listed as available on your website? No details on your website but another website describes them as having "super grip" and made of "vinyl". The vinyl push rims I've experienced had much less grip than the neoprene Q-grips. I'd be real interested in your first-hand opinion. At their price, they don't have to last very long. Thanks.

Hi John, I agree with your remarks on the choice of pushrims for us. I just went back to Q-Grips 2 weeks ago (and nicked one already on my Uni-Lite lift, very fragile). It's true that the RibGrips covers are a pain even though the idea is interesting. I also think that they should be smaller. The Blax were getting my hands all black and dirty, not great at work always worrying that others will think you don't wash your hands.

As for Carbolife, I tried 2 of their models, the Quadro and the Curve L Tetra Grip. I did not like either of them but they are well built and seem to be more resistant (but I can't tell since I did not use them long enough). For the Quadro the idea is good, offer more surface for traction at the angle we are usually pushing without triceps. However, I found that more surface for the same amount of push down force means les force per surface area and, at least for me, les power and more slippage. Even though the Curve L Tetra Grip is marketed more for those with triceps, I prefered them despite the fact that my triceps don't work. It might be the way I push or use my fingers to brake (even though my fingers don't move). Another problem is the ridiculous price of the Carbolife, too expensive.

In conclusion, to me there is a trade off between the power we can exert and the surface of the pushrim, too much surface is as bad as too little. The best amount is about the size of Blax double stuff in my opinion.

The ideal pushrim is still not available, we need to get in business together and bring it to the market.
        Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

I just put a set of carbo life Quadros on so far I really like the way they feel in my hand and they are super grippy and seem to be very well-made
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com

Comment

ok i guess i am a dummy i have the same wheels and rims that was on my chair in 2001 they black and ding a little but.. soo i guess i am not understanding what ur guys are talking about holy crap i just googled them 549,00 for that are you kidding me thats robbery

Comment

Working...
            X