No announcement yet.

My new chair arrived!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there has to be a bolt that tightens the anti tips otherwise they wouldn't work. Find it and get it free, slide it off. The end of the tube has a fitted receiver the sides are flat and vertical, when your chair is sitting level those sides are 90 deg. It's simple to get them right if you have a framing square or anything with a right angle that will reach the tube. you can do it, shit you have done a whole lot more difficult things already just getting here. And rember it's just a chair, you my love it but it's still just a tool

Comment

I am really struggling with trying to figure out how to get the anti-tip brackets off. I read the last post on the first page and my head can't wrap around some of that. I'm so frustrated, I want them off but when I look under there I'm like, 'Huh????' I just can't quite figure it out. It is like they are bolted closed but even if you take that bolt off they still are so tight they don't look like they would slide off. All that about marking with tape? I don't quite understand.

I think I need a video. I looked all over youtube but there is just nothing. My ATP won't help...

Comment

OK, maybe never mind. I just took everything off the chair to prepare to take the clamps off and they are TIGHT. I mean tight! My husband can't even loosen them.

I really don't know what to do here. I want these clamps OFF. I don't need them. I don't want them. I never wanted them. I want them off. My ATP won't help me. You guys aren't physically here to help me. WTF? I want this extra shit off my chair and I don't know how....

Comment

The first rule: Don't panic.
          I have sent you a PM.
          Last edited by slow_runner; 07-31-2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Chanda
            Chanda commented
            Editing a comment
            You are SOOOO kind. I don't want to waste your minutes because I just think Im not strong enough to actually accomplish this goal...

Click image for larger version  Name:	10-7.1.png Views:	0 Size:	357.3 KB ID:	2900846 Is this your rig? There is a screw holding the axle tube in place. Loosen those on each side and the anti tip receivers will slide off when their screws are removed.

Edit: Click on image to enlarge.
          Last edited by nonoise; 08-01-2020, 01:11 AM.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Chanda View Post
            OK, maybe never mind. I just took everything off the chair to prepare to take the clamps off and they are TIGHT. I mean tight! My husband can't even loosen them.

I really don't know what to do here. I want these clamps OFF. I don't need them. I don't want them. I never wanted them. I want them off. My ATP won't help me. You guys aren't physically here to help me. WTF? I want this extra shit off my chair and I don't know how....
            I dunno. It's a screw. Which one is it, specifically? A few of the TiLite screws come from factory with medium strength thread locker on them. Can you identify it for us on the parts diagram?

Anyway, you just gotta use leverage and turn it the correct way. I use a small (~.25" diameter) ~7" steel tube to add leverage to short L shaped "Allen" keys in a pinch. I prefer to use a decent (hardened steel, not plated, ball end) T handle "Allen" key for important stuff. That helps minimize the chance of too much angular leverage messing things up with the threads. Best tools = must easier job. If you're trying to use a small flimsy folding set of Allen keys it's gonna be a bit harder than it needs to be.

I got mine apart fairly easily when I first got it, I think between you and your husband and advice here you can definitely get this done.

The questions really are: which screw is it and what tool are you using?

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

My gosh, I'm sorry I'm such a huge pain in the butt. I'm just so frustrated at my lack of ability to do things anymore. I guess that is part of a degenerative illness...

It does not look like the diagram. I think the diagram might be showing the ZR. I have the ZRA and maybe they are different? Or maybe its just because my chair is super brand new?

I took a bunch of pics on my phone of all the parts but its impossible to actually see them as they are all black and I just can't get a good angle on any of them. Even with the chair upside down.

It looks to me like there is one screw holding the chair onto the camber tube. That was the first one I tried and nope. There is also a similar screw holding the anti-tip bracket onto the camber tube. And then another screw bolting them both together. I couldn't budge even a single one.

When I was looking at how to put it all back together once I got it apart I realized I have no way to make sure the camber tube goes back on at the correct 'angle' in relation to the ground. Like to make sure the camber is correct. Because I can only tell which way to turn it with the wheels ON. But I can't adjust it with the wheels on...?

The first bolt I tried to get loose was the one that 'clamps' the chair to the camber tube. Because I have to take apart basically everything (4 parts) and slide it all off. It was tight. I mean tight. Neither me nor my husband could even get it to budge. And now my hands are just ripped to shit. And sore. Taking a break...

I did have an idea. There is another DME place in a town just over and hour away. They ordered my second chair for me and did a lot of little adjustments for me way back 6 years ago. I wonder if I could BEG them to help me and just pay them??? I don't know if they would be willing as they were bought out by a larger company??? I didn't use them to get my current chair because they lied right to my face which isn't cool.

I just don't know what else to do. I'm about to go at it with a damn saw!!! Hehe

Although I would love to put one of the anti-tips on my old chair so I can use it as a demo for some education I do (used to do, before quarantine)... That chair should be easy to take apart because everything on it is loose!

I am going to try and call this one other place on monday. Any advice of things to say to get them to help me?
              (So sorry if I'm annoying you guys. My life will be all set once I can take these stupid things off)

Comment

You are SOOOO kind. I don't want to waste your minutes because I just think Im not strong enough to actually accomplish this goal...
                No worries. The call minutes will expire on the 3 August regardless.
                You may need your hair dryer to release the thread locker bond and extra leverage.
                I will leave you to it. Best wishes. :-)
                Last edited by slow_runner; 08-01-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

If scratches are your concern, your footrest is the least of the problems. The handrims and front angle bend are far more apt to get scratched by doors, furniture, toilets... etc. What is your plan? Are you going to make peace with scratches or commit to maintain a scratch-free chair? The answer to that question will determine your best plan for the footrest.

Comment

Asking the other company is a great idea. I'd be sure NOT to mention that the other shop wouldn't take them off for you. Just ask for help and leave it at that. (Basically, if they know, because you tell them, that the other shop won't take them off, it kinda implies they were specifically listed as medically necessary in the claim paper work, which is the only reason why I can imagine the first shop won't remove them, other than just being lazy.)

Using a small power tool (battery hand drill) would be my next step if a quality T handle Allen wrench wasn't enough leverage to loosen it. Shouldn't need any heat on the bolt but I guess it might help. It's anti-vibration/loosening strength (i.e. "blue") and is supposed to need only tools and leverage.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

• Chanda
                      Chanda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, good plan! Just 'can I pay you to take these off'... End of story! Got it!! Thanks.

...So I grab all my allen wrenches (sp?) and off I go to get them off. NOPE!...
                    ...clip...
                    Hope these pictures attach!!
                    Do as Oddity said, add a cheater tube to your allen wrench. I like to use the short end in the nut and the long end for twisting.

Looking at your original pictures, I see what looks like what could be anti tip receivers, but their position seems goofy. Are yours pointed down and in front of the axle tube? I have not seen that configuration on any of the ZRA drawings. I posted the previous drawing because I thought you might have user friendly anti tips. Here is another resource to check out, Chapter 6:
                    https://www.medical-supplies-4-less....cument/516.pdf
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

• Chanda
                      Chanda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, I think they look like those in chapter 6, the first one.

Both the anti-tip clamps and the clamp from the chair to the tube are similar in that there is the little 'slit' so even when you loosen the bolt they are still fairly tight on there. Hence the warning about scratching the camber tube.

But if I can't loosen any of the like 8 bolts I'm stuck....

Take the frame to a neighborhood mechanic. Have them lossen the stuff for you. Then you can take it home and fix the rest yourself.
                    You are starting to sound like a mechanic: What I lack in ability I make up for in swearing.

Comment

Yep, OK, The other place won't touch my chair unless they provided it.
                      So my own ATP won't touch my chair.
                      No other ATP will touch my chair.

Why is this so hard. There are no videos, checked. How long would it take to saw through these stupid things?!?

Comment

I’ve just checked our son’s old ZRA. It’s got the user-friendly anti-tips, so not the same as yours, but the other Allen screws will presumably be the same, or similar to yours. I just tried to undo one of them with a fold-out set of Allen keys. It took a bit of effort, but gave in with a bang. The suggestions above about using a cheater tube (or power driver or neighbourhood mechanic) make sense to me.
                        Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Yep, OK, The other place won't touch my chair unless they provided it.
                          So my own ATP won't touch my chair.
                          No other ATP will touch my chair.

Why is this so hard. There are no videos, checked. How long would it take to saw through these stupid things?!?
                          It is apparent that I couldn't leave you to it
                          They are not stupid things; you are getting frustrated is all.
                          Take a rest, have a few deep breaths, clear your head of the obstacles. Then re read the thread and look here and at your chair with an open mind.

Follow the mounting / install instructions from page 93 in reverse and in reverse order
                          ie
                          7. unininstall the rear wheel.
                          6. Unscrew the Allen screw in each anti-tip receiver so that it loosens clamps on the camber tube.

5. and on....

I have copied, expanded and edited an illutration for you from the manual for ZRA_AeroZ.pdf - page 93 - figure 13.2
                          Will this image instruction assist in explaining to you more clearly Chanda?

Note - the washer is inserted only as far that the capscrew can bear down on it; not so the screw passes through the washer opening.
                          Use a piece of sheetmetal if you wish but a medium to heavy washer is a safer bet and will have less chance of damaging your precious paint surface; or yourself.

Last edited by slow_runner; 08-05-2020, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X