My new chair arrived!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new chair arrived!!!

I'm in heaven! My ATP brought in the TiFit person to measure and wow what a difference! My two chairs are so similar and yet SOOOOOOO different. I'm sitting on and hot black Ferrari!

I feel like a completely different person! It's a TiLite ZRA. Roho cushion and Roho Agility back. I have standard Medicare Shadow wheels and black anodized push rims and I completely love them. Which surprised me a lot. I put helicopter tape as protectant on the chair and it looks amazing! The darn thing fits like a glove.

Only a couple issues that I thought some of you knowledgable people might be able to help me with...?

1) My ATP was made to put anti-tippers on the chair (think its a Medicare thing) and while I took the actual tippers off the brackets are still on. I have never used anti-tips and am not ever planning on it so I want them off. But my ATP can't 'legally' take them off for me.

So I grab all my allen wrenches (sp?) and off I go to get them off. NOPE!

I am not entirely sure how to get them off?? I think I have to take the whole tube off and slide them off the end? Is that right? Brand new chair...

2) My DME gifted me with a titanium footplate bar thingy. Which was darn nice of them. But I was aiming for ALLLLLL black. Totally completely black chair. Now I have titanium showing. Which isn't the end of the world.

BUT, I was looking for an out of the box way to cover the titanium and make it look black and maybe be a little protective in the process.

I could have it painted but I'm sure that would just chip and scratch and look icky. I also can't really comprehend that attachment, the way you raise up the footplate or down or remove them. It's beyond me so I can't really take it off to prepare it for painting or anything.

I know I'm being nitpicky, with this one little color thing but I thought maybe you guys had an idea I hadn't thought of? Tape or rubber or ?????

Hope these pictures attach!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Chanda & Kestrel

Awesome! New chair day is fun, especially when it's done right!

They just don't want the hassle of taking the chair so far apart to remove the anti-tips. There are zero "Medicare" regulations they say you have to have those on your chair.

I wouldn't worry about the footrest, yeah, that is kinda nit picky. But, if it really matters to you, you can always just spray paint it or Rhino coat it or something.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Chanda View Post
      I'm in heaven! darn thing fits like a glove................
      Only a couple issues that I thought some of you knowledgable people might be able to help me with...?

1) My ATP was made to put anti-tippers on the chair ...... I want them off.
      2) My DME gifted me with a titanium footplate bar thingy. ......I was aiming for ALLLLLL black. Totally completely black chair. Now I have titanium showing. Which isn't the end of the world.

I know I'm being nitpicky, with this one little color thing but I thought maybe you guys had an idea I hadn't thought of? Tape or rubber or ????? Chanda & Kestrel
      Nice chair.
      Yes you will need to remove the camber tube to remove the anti-tipper supports.
      Me? I removed mine completely when I modified the Aero T chair frame.
      In hindsight, I should have left my brackets on.
      One day you may need them. Put reflectors or LED lamps in the tube holes?
      Or leave be as they are hardly noticeable. In another few weeks they wont bother you either - unless you angst over them .

The footplate frame? Listen to Oditty or leave for a week or two to see if it really does bother. As above ​Or, if black was specified, can you replace through TiLite?

I rechecked your images. Can you swap out your footplate frame? The frames are two piece, split in the centre. So as long as the tube diameter is identical it is doable.
      Last edited by slow_runner; 07-11-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Angst over something? Me???? Hehehehe! Yep, I am bit obsessive.

The last time I took a camber tube off I accidentally put it back slightly turned so the camber was off and I couldn't figure out why my chair was so hard to push for MONTHS! Ooooopppps.

I feel like it is 'almost' beyond me to put it all back together perfectly. But, my ATP has to come back because the brakes are wrong (need scissor) and I was thinking maybe I should take them off right before he gets here and then make him kinda put it back together properly(and let him know ahead of time, I'm not mean) that way 'technically' he isn't 'removing' them (against whatever policy) but he is just adjusting the camber tube of my chair...? Wink wink to his boss...?

I will ask. If not I suppose I could just try and do it myself again. I just need it as light as possible and every little ounce counts. Plus they are ugly.

Oditty, thanks, maybe a Home Depot run to check out different paint options. I mean, its not a huge deal but I was really wanting ALLLL black. But Im not looking gift titanium upgrades in the mouth! I wonder how well paint would stick to the brushed Ti?

Has anyone been able to master the attachment/adjustment to TiLite footplate height? Like removing them and getting them back on properly?

Comment

My Aero has pinch clamps to lock the footplate support frame. There should be something similar on your chair?
          The footplate support frame is split in the centre, hidden by the plate clamp.

Those brakes should be outlawed. I had them on my Ki Catalyst and they would rip my thumb nail back on a few occasions. Bad technique? Maybe but I got rid and replaced with scissor locks asap.

Re your tipper brackets: Do you not venture to places with varying incline?
          Specifically, you would compromise your chair tech by requesting that action? It is a new chair; if you are determined to remove, I would keep him/her out of it.

Comment

Yeah, I was trying to take off the clamp for the angle adjustable footplate when I realized it was just beyond me. Even with the bolts out that clamp stays put! Luckily my FreeWheel still clamps on even though I couldn't put the clamp I bought specifically for this and also without the shim that is now stuck on my old chair! Im just hoping I didn't mess up the clamp too much trying to twist it off and then realizing, nope, then trying to make sure it was centered again. Not great. Maybe I can have my ATP just screw that thing on as tight as possible so my FreeWheel doesn't twist it?

Yeah, I am not sure why the brakes got messed up. But I'm waiting for him to bring me the scissors...

I have used a chair for 8 years and not one of them have ever had anti-tips on them. I don't know how to function with the anti-tips on. I wouldn't be able to get out of my house as I hop down my 4" thresholds and I don't think I would be able to get up curbs or wheelie across grass or gravel or dirt. I don't know how people function WITH anti-tips. So I highly doubt that I would ever need them at any point. So it's a useless part that just adds weight...

Comment

I think you have the expansion nut clamp. I did on myZRA. you have to back the allen screw out far enough that the head is exposed then strike it with something that will push the back half of the clamp up and the whole thing will freed up and should come out easily.

Comment

Congratulations on new chair and especially it fitting so well!!
                Anti-tippers, we were told same. about Medicare thing on Mama's last chair. Permobil 350 and they were huge! But we got them took off, could not get in usual parking space in van with them on.
                Footplate hanger, unless get done, like powder coated I'd just leave it alone cause paint, etc just like you posted come off.

Comment

You can paint the footrest yourself. Get high temp spray paint from the auto parts store, anywhere actually. Paint it, and let it dry. Then bake it in your kitchen oven at 350, maybe 325 degrees.
                  I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Congratulations on new chair and especially it fitting so well!!
                    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

Comment

Thanks everyone. I finally got to leave the house a couple times with it (Drs appointments) and it was amazing. Felt like a completely different person.

I don't think I will be able to get the whole footplate/footrest off myself so anything I might do has to be with it still on the chair.

I wish there was a rubber tube or something I could slip over it. Tape... I don't know, something easy... Im getting used to it though.

I talked to my ATP about taking the brackets for the anti-tips off and he said that it would likely scratch up the camber tube to try and get them off. He did say he would call TiLite and see if they have a special method for getting them off and not scratching the tube so that is nice. He is talking to their boss about their policy. Store was sued many years ago for a person flipping their chair so now all chairs get anti-tips. That is how I ended up with them...

The new hardware like the camber tube and some of the components that you can purchased anodized are not shiny black anymore but kind of like the mat black type finish so I could see how it could scratch easier. But TiLite got those things on without scratching anything so hopefully we can get them off.

I am still in such shock how different this chair feels. It is SO similar to my last chair. Lower/different back has made the hugest difference. Little inch and angle here and there. Nothing major. But HUGE difference. I can just sit in the chair for an undetermined amount of time. First 2 days I had the chair I was in it for 5 hours. I couldn't do an hour in my last chair! Such a difference!

Comment

I don't think I will be able to get the whole footplate/footrest off myself so anything I might do has to be with it still on the chair.
                        I wish there was a rubber tube or something I could slip over it. Tape... I don't know, something easy... Im getting used to it though.

I talked to my ATP about taking the brackets for the anti-tips off and he said that it would likely scratch up the camber tube ......
                        TiLite got those things on without scratching anything so hopefully we can get them off.
                        Your ATP( is that a wheelchair tech?) should be able to remove the support.
                        Get yourself some electrical heatshrink which is available in colours, especially black, and slip it on and apply some heat with your hairdryer to shrink it to the tube. You have a hairdryer?
                        If you mess it up later, it is easy enough to remove and replace.
                        Heatshrink is available in lightweight and heavy, the REAL heavy stuff is usually pre-glued and you don't want that. It would be a b*tch if you needed to remove.

The anti tip brackets. Your ATP should be well versed in how to remove the brackets, easily.??
                        If he does not know how, then perhaps you need to be using a wheelchair maintenance person?
                        Anyhow it is easy enough, you can do it yourself. .
                        Remove the clamping cap screws ( here you may need your hairdryer once again- to release any thread locker ).
                        Get a thin hard plastic wedge and tap into the the slit to spread the slit and open the bore a tad. They will slip off easily. I used the wedge of a 'cooks knife' blade.
                        It may be a good precaution if you were to apply a little lubricant to the camber tube to enable better removal. A little cooking oil would work fine.

N.B
                        The other, better, cleaner way to spread the anti tipper bracket ( if the clamp cap screw thread is long enough - otherwise find one that has sufficient thread ) is to remove the clamp cap screw, thread the cap screw in from the threaded end of the bracket, place a metal washer, butter knife blade or else in the slot and screw down on the blade/washer..., spreading the slit and opening the bore.This will lock the bore open and with care, enable removal of the bracket with minimal risk of marking your camber tube.
                        Perhaps you may want to Sellotape the camber tube before hand to prevent marks? That may work using thin gauge Sellotape; three lengths placed axially at equal distance on the circumference should suffice.
                        Is that clearer than mud?
                        Last edited by slow_runner; 07-16-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks, that is a lot of good information.

The main issues I have are that my ATP is 2+ hours away, he is not coming up here and he is limited in what he is allowed to do. So he can't really help me do anything other than NEEDED adjustments. Taking off and putting back on footplate is not necessary its just me wanting to color something. So he isn't really going to waste his time helping me make something pretty!

I definitely understand what you mean about wedging the anti-tip clamp open. That does make sense. If he comes back saying it's not possible I will suggest this. And if he just refuses to help I'll try to do it myself.

I just really don't want to put it back together wrong. I did that once on an old chair and suffered for months until I realized I put the tube back on rotated and my camber was front to back, not top to bottom. Not good. Don't want to make a mistake like that again!!!

Comment

Thanks, that is a lot of good information.
                            The main issues I have are that my ATP is 2+ hours away, he is not coming up here and he is limited in what he is allowed to do. So he can't really help me do anything other than NEEDED adjustments. Taking off and putting back on footplate is not necessary its just me wanting to color something. So he isn't really going to waste his time helping me make something pretty!
                            I definitely understand what you mean about wedging the anti-tip clamp open. That does make sense. If he comes back saying it's not possible I will suggest this. And if he just refuses to help I'll try to do it myself.
                            I just really don't want to put it back together wrong. I did that once on an old chair and suffered for months until I realized I put the tube back on rotated and my camber was front to back, not top to bottom. Not good. Don't want to make a mistake like that again!!!
                            About your camber tube.
                            Try my post on this thread, it should help.
                            https://www.carecure.net/forum/sci-c...-downtown-tire

Your footplate? Can you call in someone local to assist?
                            Technique and some grunt will get the job done. Beers and snacks for afters.
                            Your local bike shop mechanic will have the tools. strength and skills to help you.
                            Fortunately, you have a back-up chair for the short time the new one may be without you, or better, to use as your on site overseer seat

Comment

Don't be daunted.
                              You will be a champ at this, it is easier than you think.
                              Using masking tape and pen, reference the current position of your camber tube in relation to the clamp at the end that you intend to draw the tube from.
                              Apply the tape radially and against the camber tube clamp, mark with the pen to a slit edge is easiest. Just remember or mark which one
                              The masking tape will protect your chair from permanent marking; abutting it against the clamp will give you the datum to reinsert the tube to.
                              Now, apply Sellotape as before if you wish, slide the camber tube out sufficient to remove the tipper clamps.
                              Slide back in to datum and nip up the clamps.
                              All assembled? happy with the result? If you wish to double check your toe, do so now. Otherwise tighten clamps to torque value or feel, then remove the tape.
                              I think that is all; you are good to go.
                              Last edited by slow_runner; 07-16-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X