Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best reacher/grabber?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Best reacher/grabber?

    So for the past 13 years I've been using the same reacher/grabber thing I was given when discharged from rehab. It works okay, but it's kind of flimsy and sometimes the plastic grabber part flexes too much, especially if the object is more than a half pound or so.

    Who's got a recommendation for something better?

    Especially hoping to have something secure enough to load higher shelves in the kitchen of my new apartment which I will rarely use.

    #2
    August West posted a set a while back that I thought looked really good. Don't recall the brand though. Maybe he'll chime in since I @ him, he'll get a ping about this thread.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    Comment


      #3
      The grabber I was discharged with back in 2010 was garbage. I bought one of the grabbers linked below and loved it. I can grab fairly heavy items (well over a pound) and it grips well. I used one grabber in the kitchen until July of last year when i realized I could afford to buy more, so I ended up buying 4 more and just put them all over the house. I'm still using the original too as it still works perfectly.

      https://www.amazon.com/Ettore-49036-.../dp/B001B13PC2

      Comment


        #4
        The Unger Nifty Grabber is well designed, well built, and sells through many retailers including Amazon, Home Depot, and Walmart.

        I've had the same one for 12 years.
        • All metal construction (except for the handle and rubber tip)
        • 5" wide opening with double claws makes it wide enough for a large mason jar
        • 36" long
        • 3/4" diameter pole
        • Dual claws are sandwiched between two 2" wide plates so there is no flex even while lifting a heavy object
        • soft rubber tips provide a good grip.
        • new models have magnetic tips making it easier to pick up keys.
        There are some newer brands that look good. Can't comment on them because I haven't tried them. But I would stick with metal construction and avoid ones that use plastic anywhere other than the handle.
        Attached Files

        Comment


          #5
          I have ones like August West posted, mostly use in garage and outside.
          I use several different lengths of ones like in link below, have fold in half one for shopping. First ones got at DME and don't remember name but they lasted years. New ones don't hold up as well.
          https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/me...101751-product

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by MikeP2020 View Post
            I have ones like August West posted, mostly use in garage and outside.
            I use several different lengths of ones like in link below, have fold in half one for shopping. First ones got at DME and don't remember name but they lasted years. New ones don't hold up as well.
            https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/me...101751-product
            Hi Mike. I had the the type in the link you provided. Price was right and it was portable so convenient for shopping as you note. But it's only good for small and light-weight items.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MikeP2020 View Post
              I have ones like August West posted, mostly use in garage and outside.
              I use several different lengths of ones like in link below, have fold in half one for shopping. First ones got at DME and don't remember name but they lasted years. New ones don't hold up as well.
              https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/me...101751-product
              This one looks pretty similar to the one I have right now.

              I think I'll buy both of the other two and see which works best for me.

              Thanks for all the recommendations yall.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by August West View Post
                The Unger Nifty Grabber is well designed, well built, and sells through many retailers including Amazon, Home Depot, and Walmart.

                I've had the same one for 12 years. new models have magnetic tips making it easier to pick up keys.[/LIST]There are some newer brands that look good. Can't comment on them because I haven't tried them. But I would stick with metal construction and avoid ones that use plastic anywhere other than the handle.
                I like the solid build of that grabber August. Are the grips long lasting or are they replaceable ?

                I have had my no name aluminium and plastic unit for must be 10 years if its a day and it has served me well. I don't know what I would do without one.
                What I like about the design is the trigger arrangement that feel like a true extension of my arm; the same as the Unger.
                The pistol grip style don't appeal to me as I imagine that they would put a good strain on the wrist when lifting heavier items.
                The Unger don't appear to be available here. I am going to check out Amazon and see what shipping is to New Zealand.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Since GJ didn't have any grip, he bought this one, called the PikStick. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                  I attached the universal strap (loop) so he could "hold" it. It had a narrow range of what it could pick up but served to pick up the kinds of things he dropped the most, pens, glasses, keys, papers, magnifying glass, paper clips, etc.

                  Also visit the Telepik store at: https://www.amazon.com/stores/PikSti...F?ref_=ast_bln

                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by slow_runner View Post

                    I like the solid build of that grabber August. Are the grips long lasting or are they replaceable ?

                    I have had my no name aluminium and plastic unit for must be 10 years if its a day and it has served me well. I don't know what I would do without one.
                    What I like about the design is the trigger arrangement that feel like a true extension of my arm; the same as the Unger.
                    The pistol grip style don't appeal to me as I imagine that they would put a good strain on the wrist when lifting heavier items.
                    The Unger don't appear to be available here. I am going to check out Amazon and see what shipping is to New Zealand.
                    I'm impressed with the build quality and I'm not an easy customer to please. I just tried to see if I can pull the grip off the claw. Doesn't come off. It costs less than $20 in USA so it makes sense to buy a new one vs repair. Did you look at Unger's website (the link is in my original post)? They have a list of retailers in USA. Perhaps they have a local link for New Zealand.

                    Here are a couple pictures of the grip after 12 years of use. Still like new. Probably don't need to replace it unless you're pushing it through the dirt or doing something else that would exceed typical wear and tear.

                    Let me know if you can't buy it locally and we'll figure a way to get you one or two.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	No name grabber.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	2900003
                      Originally posted by August West View Post
                      I'm impressed with the build quality and I'm not an easy customer to please. I just tried to see if I can pull the grip off the claw. Doesn't come off. It costs less than $20 in USA so it makes sense to buy a new one vs repair. Did you look at Unger's website (the link is in my original post)? They have a list of retailers in USA. Perhaps they have a local link for New Zealand.

                      Here are a couple pictures of the grip after 12 years of use. Still like new. Probably don't need to replace it unless you're pushing it through the dirt or doing something else that would exceed typical wear and tear.

                      Let me know if you can't buy it locally and we'll figure a way to get you one or two.
                      That is impressive condition after 12 years use August. I have made enquiries here in New Zealand and found a business that distributes; but guess what? no stock and half as much again.
                      .
                      Amazon have them all up with shipping $34US which converts to something like $54NZ. An expected delivery of 2-3 weeks
                      My no-name grabber is 36" from the handle to the mechanism , or 40" overall including the 'claws', Is that where the Unger measures from?
                      Here is an image.
                      Last edited by slow_runner; 9 Jul 2020, 5:59 AM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Measuring the same way you show it's 34". The overall length is about 37". Here it is next to a yardstick.

                        By the way, I totally agree with your comment about the handle. I like holding the pole that is holding the load vs holding a pistol grip that is 90 degrees to the load.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Is this look to be an unbranded Unger made for Amazon? Slightly longer than the Unger 36" and in a two pack.

                          Perhaps they all come from the same factory in China or elsewhere in the East somewhere?


                          https://www.amazon.com/AmazonCommerc...HGM8ZXW7SXCK21

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
                            Is this look to be an unbranded Unger made for Amazon? Slightly longer than the Unger 36" and in a two pack.

                            Perhaps they all come from the same factory in China or elsewhere in the East somewhere?


                            https://www.amazon.com/AmazonCommerc...HGM8ZXW7SXCK21
                            That's the same design as the Unger just branded by Amazon. Looks like it's built just as well too. Great find! Amazon offers 2 for a little more than the price of 1 Unger. They also offer it in aluminum (standard model is steel) that is 2.2 oz lighter and could make a big difference to some people.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              It is my feeling that these grabbers are all out of the same factory. Rebadged to suit, just like cars and more than a few commodities.

                              All on Amazon - all appear to be the same design and construction, except Unger have placed a neo(?) magnet in theirs.

                              Unger Professional Nifty Nabber Reacher Grabber Tool and Trash Picker, 36-inch

                              AmazonCommercial Reacher Grabber, steel, 38" - 2-Pack

                              SUNKY - Aluminum Reacher Grabber, 37" Extra Long Handy Mobility Aid - Reaching Assist Tool for Trash Pick up, Litter Picker, Garden Nabber, Disabled, Arm Extension

                              Grabber Reacher Tool KONKY Aluminum Reacher Grabber, 37"

                              Yachee Aluminum Reacher Grabber, 37”Extra Long Handy Mobility Aid with Rotating Grip,

                              Last edited by slow_runner; 10 Jul 2020, 4:41 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Oddity
                                Oddity commented
                                Editing a comment
                                She's right. As I fell asleep last night I said to myself, "Self, that's an important thread about an important piece of kit that most of us use. I should move those posts to a new thread when I wake up."

                                So, I did. It's in Member's Only so it's not a public topic.
                                Last edited by Oddity; 10 Jul 2020, 10:15 AM.

                              • slow_runner
                                slow_runner commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The ledger is all tidy now. I have moved my reference on the robust discussion too.

                              • Oddity
                                Oddity commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Awesome. Thanks.
                            Working...
                            X