Tire question, looking for a little off road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire question, looking for a little off road

I will have the regular wheels that come on TiLites, I think they are called 'Shadow'...? Basic wheels that Medicare pays for. Anyway, I want to use them as backups and put some slightly more off road type tires on them. And be able to swap them between new chair and old chair. My old chair I will likely keep in the house so they need to be non-marking so my floors don't get messed up.

So I need off road tires that will fit on standard wheels that won't mark my floors.

I don't want anything ~too~ thick or they might not fit as my wheels are decently tucked in close. So moderately more grippy than the Schwalbe marathons that I use. But not too huge.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!!!

Depends on what size rear wheels you are getting.540's Kenda has a couple different knobies. 559 you can get a bunch of bike stuff. They will all be a pain. You will have to reset the brakes if you want to use them and the width will be a problem.

Comment

Wheel locks, tire width/frame clearance, rear seat height, front caster angle, rear toe setting, back rest angle (relative to floor) will all be negatively affected from your base spec if you just slap knobbies on the same size rims as your everyday wheels.

It's not a great idea, but if it's all you've got, Kenda makes some tires that'll work better than most of the others, especially mountain bike 559 tires (which aren't usually non-marking.)

Like baldfatdad said we need to know your rim size. 540? 559? 590? 700c?
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

I have 24 wheels. I am not looking for giant knobbies. Just something with a little more traction than my Marathons...

I am not going to need brakes or anything like that for the occasional tromp through some grass. As long as they aren't too knobby the spacing and angles will all be fine.

Just need a set of tires to go on the 24 Shadow wheels that I can toss on my chair every now and then to roll through a vineyard or event on grass. When I'm in those settings its for a short period of time and I'm mostly sitting in one place. Angles won't matter for an hour holding a camera taking a video...

Just need to know which tires might be slightly more grippy that can still fit on normal 24 Shadow wheels...

From googling and looking at all the websites that carry Non-Marking tires I can't tell AT ALL which ones will fit on standard wheels.

Comment

I'd probably order something like this, if I wanted more traction on a non-marking 540/24" tire without adding too much width or height that would mess up the setup:

https://www.sportaid.com/primo-knobb...-8-37-540.html

If you know your rim size (e.g. 540x20 for standard 24" wheelchair rims) you just need to find a 540x(between 20-50) tire that suits your other requirements.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

• Chanda
            Chanda commented
            Editing a comment
            Those are just what I was looking for!!! Thank you!!!
        Working...
        X