Ramp Van with salvaged title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramp Van with salvaged title?

Run across a dealer that buy damaged accessible van, repair to sell. So, be a salvaged vehicle title.
    Wondering if anyone dealt with these type things? Can you get auto loan on a salvaged title van?
    The price seems to be great, especially compared to both new/used vans and they have before/after pictures along with list of replaced/repairs along with I think it's a Car Fax or Auto Check history of damage history.
    Thanks, for any and all info as well as assistance.

You probably could find a loan. Don't know if you'd get a good interest rate. But today all rates are low so how bad could it be? If you're looking for a good deal, then consider Craigslist. Cash but great deals available.

I found an old 1992 Econoline van with a full conversion. It needed a lot of work both inside and outside. But that's exactly what I wanted. Because it now has new leather interior, new insulation, new sound, and new paint. The transmission, cooling, suspension, brakes, AC, and electrical systems are rebuilt. The exhaust is new from catalytic converters back. The only systems not restored are fuel and ignition.

The original cost was $5K and today I have spent about $22K. But I think it's money well spent. Because it rides like new and it's a pleasure. I test drove a Grand Caravan that was much newer and much more expensive but it's looks and performance were much older. My van lacks some features of newer vans like good mileage and strong AC. But other than that I am happy. Because it's like new and... I did it my way.

Comment

"Thank you" ave been watching Craiglist here but only ones that reasonable have manual ramp and 1 MPV but it runs on CNG(kinda worries me), only 1 station out in sticks here which is self serve. I can handle gasoline or diesel pumps but CNG have no idea.
      Rest ones on list are as expensive as new ones.

Comment

Before buying a salvage titled vehicle, of any kind, have at least 1 shop look it over VERY well, top to underneath, inside and out (at your expense). Look for the areas where they cut it in half to install a good half from another vehicle. They are totaled vehicles that have had MAJOR structural repairs in many cases.
        I've seen some that looked OK but seen more that scared me. These were regular vehicles. A handicap ramp van that has been rebuilt would concern me due to the non standard mods made to it that a standard builder is not familiar with. Generally the seller is not the re-builder. This protects the seller from most of the liability. Some repair shops may not work on them, again due to liability.
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
        Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP2020 View Post
          "Thank you" ave been watching Craiglist here but only ones that reasonable have manual ramp and 1 MPV but it runs on CNG(kinda worries me), only 1 station out in sticks here which is self serve. I can handle gasoline or diesel pumps but CNG have no idea.
          Rest ones on list are as expensive as new ones.
          If you can wait it may pay off. Because new deals show up every day. I set an alert to get notified each time a new Craigslist listing appears. I went to see my van the first day it was for sale. I was the first one to see it and bought it on the spot. I doubt it would have lasted more than a day. Hence, the alert was a must.

I don't think you want one because it crashed IMO. Ideally, you want a van that someone is selling because they're older and don't drive anymore. This requires patience and acting quickly.

For me there were only two options, new/like new or a fixer-upper to be restored to like new condition. Something in the middle where it's aged but still costs too much to justify restoring it to like new condition is the worst option IMO. For example, 10-year old Grand Caravans and Town and Countries go for about $25K. What if it needs some major repair? Do you spend the money or take the loss and buy another van? You don't have this problem with newer vans because they are under warranty. You don't have this problem with fixer uppers because you accounted for the major repairs.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Google the vin number, nothing else, just the vin.
            Remember it is a salvaged title because the vehicle was totaled. The cost to repair exceeded it's value.
            Confession, I used to buy wrecked cars and rebuild them. It was quite profitable.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Thanks, for all info. Don't know what be doing about vehicle but not in real hurry.
              Never even looked at salvaged vehicles before, so again "Thank you" all for information.
              I hardly drive anymore and my wife feels she can't drive full size van so we looking for a minivan.
              My Sprinter in running order(at the moment, knock wood), just lift think worn out. Been in/out lift shop so many times that gave up on them. Local garage fixed a couple times replacing solenoids, but now they couldn't find problem this time.
              Went back where ya'll helped with fixing it and it still hit/miss working. So far if use manual 'Deploy' it works normal. But, times it just won't 'Deploy' unless use manual release.
              Mostly using transit service these days.

Comment

Ran the VIN number like recommended above and got insurance auction record of being salvaged with est. on repair($9500) along with value with short damage of general nature" front end. All body pictures were same as current with no visual body damage even to front end. Wish showed pictures under the front end.
                Auction site did show passenger side airbags had been deployed seat side and front overhead.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "short damage" but if there is a chance of flood damage, avoid this vehicle. The wiring harness connectors are subject to later failure amongst other corrosion problems. OTH, if you do know the full extent of the damage, it can be a great find properly fixed. Get it checked out if you want to proceed.
                  I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                    Not sure what you mean by "short damage" but if there is a chance of flood damage, avoid this vehicle. The wiring harness connectors are subject to later failure amongst other corrosion problems. OTH, if you do know the full extent of the damage, it can be a great find properly fixed. Get it checked out if you want to proceed.
                    Sorry, I wrote it wrong. It had a short description of damage. Just said "Front End" under damage. But none of body showed damage other than few scratches. Front end showed no damage in auction pictures. Pictures of inside showed passenger front seat area had deployed side and head airbags.

Comment

Just be sure you do know what, why it was totaled out and you are willing to live with that. Also resale value, when you do want to sell is affected. When I used to rebuild cars, I did not have to deal with the salvaged title business. It is a buyer beware deal they started after my conscious got to me and I quit doing it.

Comment

we've fixed several of these for people after they bought the van.

when you really know these vans (good luck finding someone that does) inside and out its easy to find the shoddy repairs.

the last one seemed to be a good deal until the new owners saw that the van needed close to $10k in repairs that had been bubble gummed together.

then there are the ones that really can't be fixed and your only recourse is to sell it to someone else.

we've seen more than a few of these.
                        Jim, MA, MMET
                        Bridgewater, MA

Comment

Working...
                        X