Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central Florida, Permobil Street, reasonable repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Florida, Permobil Street, reasonable repairs?

I still have a Permobil street and love the chair. I do have a problem with the seat actuator. The weldings of the seat actuator to the base plate came loose. So now the seat is very wobbly. No fun riding the chair when it just wobbles all over the place. I’m looking for somebody who can work on that wheelchair without charging an arm and a leg. I am in the Ocala, the villages area.

The Permobil Street is a great chair. Every single person I have ever known who has owned one has loved it. It is quite frustrating that it was discontinued.

I would not recommend riding around at all with loose weldings. The whole seat can come off.

Comment

Like already posted, not safe using it. Only real fix is look for another post/plate combo with seat rising equipment. You might check since all Permobil use single post should interchange with other models.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I’m not using it currently. But I really would like to, as I love the chair. That’s why I’m looking for somebody who can fix it.

Comment

If your referring to the lift actuator, I've removed and repaired 2 due to bolts loose or broken. If your frame is broken, it'll need a lot of disassembly before welding. If actuator is broken, replace it with a used one (Ebay?). Not sure but it should be same as C350 (check numbers on actuator). Tough job removing seat and then actuator. Heavy stuff.

I have a C350 that I'll be putting on Craigslist soon. <30 miles, perfect cosmetic and function. Install Street control module, motors, and lights from your broken one = a Street.
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
          Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

The actuator actually still works. This seat still goes up and down. It’s just that the welts on the bottom broke. Everything else works on the chair. I’m looking for somebody to take the chair apart and re weld the plate and put it back together. No new pieces required.

Comment

Originally posted by roll170 View Post
              The actuator actually still works. This seat still goes up and down. It’s just that the welts on the bottom broke. Everything else works on the chair. I’m looking for somebody to take the chair apart and re weld the plate and put it back together. No new pieces required.
              Is the frame broke or the actuator broke (actuator has a mount that is welded to it that bolts to a bracket that is welded to frame)? Again, if it's a frame failure = A LOT of disassembly required before weld repair. If actuator is broken at it's mounting (on the actuator), replace with a used one (welding on actuator may damage it further). Either way, two healthy strong adults and/or a hoist is needed to lift/remove very heavy seat assy.
              I'm thinking your not sure exactly which is broken = need to disassemble and inspect.
              Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

If you have someone weld it. Make sure they disconnect any parts not being welded from the frame. Stray electricity can short controllers, burn motors, weld bearings (wheel, motor, seat lift) solid.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                  If you have someone weld it. Make sure they disconnect any parts not being welded from the frame. Stray electricity can short controllers, burn motors, weld bearings (wheel, motor, seat lift) solid.
                  Most defiantly. Remove ALL control boxes and batteries. Unplug all other components not removed.
                  Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Thanks for the advice. However I have not found anybody yet.

Comment

Originally posted by roll170 View Post
                      Thanks for the advice. However I have not found anybody yet.
                      Just thought suggest, in case you have not already contacted any of these:
                      Muffler shop, a couple here that has wielded items for us.
                      Hitch shop, same as muffler shop here they wielded a crack on lift and they use sale their inshop built strap lifts.
                      DME, where bought a used powerchair one armrest cracked open at seatframe, they cleaned it up and re-wielded it.
                      Check phonebook just wielder, many around here with their setup on truck that come to you. Be sure tell up front what your wanting cause some has a service charge if they come out.
                      "Good Luck"

Comment

I haven't had any luck working with any DME in Central Florida. It was much easier up north
                        C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

I agree. Up north you have a lot more options.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac85 View Post
                            I haven't had any luck working with any DME in Central Florida. It was much easier up north
                            Use to be DME got on problem or a order right on spot. They not quick enough go down street to next or call up another one if first was dragging their feet.
                            Had one DME order, suppose been replacement elevating legrest.
                            The clerk call us in on 3 occasions our shipment had arrived and come pick up. First was a scooter basket, bag of bolts and srews. Next time was 4 tires and inner tubes, getting close, a footplate, not legrest assembly but just footplate.
                            Third time had to be the charm, right? Wrong! It was alot ADL goodies, large handle eating utensils, sock donner , bag bolt with nuts, set of offset door hinges and a long handled shoe horn. The DME said keep all stuff that more trouble sending back than just keeping them since covered under warranty.

Time seems of changed things here with DME willingness to "work"/repair anything, being it powerchair or hospital bed.
                            Broke a wield on plate holding trapeze bar to headboard. Seems company aware of defect. Instead of repair/replace clamp they had order whole new total trapeze setup just for that plate. Go figure, I kept my old bar since it's heavy duty vs new one is standard weight.
                            I'm hanging by a bar transfering/turning I was feel safe bar ain't gonna have problem.

Still waiting on new airmattress and pump, only been 3 months since DME got around getting paperwork started.
                            My new powerchair is currently on hold since DME wants accordding to them a "better" evaluation by PT than one from Home Healt. Seating clinic has started back doing assessement but Corvid cases has increased. Figure, hope things clear up soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X