Who makes the best manual chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who makes the best manual chair?

I am just trying to get opinions about who makes the best manual chair that is available in the us.

Every brand has its fans. I've pushed Quickie, TiLite, Lasher, Marvel, and Icon. My next will be Hands on Concepts. IMO they're all very much closer to each other than the marketing hype and end user anecdotes usually reveal. It's mostly about fit and options rather than quality and durability. They're all made from mostly the same alloys using mostly the same techniques. I'm going for titanium and as much welded in place as possible in my next chair. That's not "better" for everyone but will suit me well.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Parts availability is an issue. You want a manufacturer who will be there for you later not just for the sale. TiLite seems to be better than Quickie in that respect. But I can't say about the others.

Comment

There is also BOX chairs, by Mike Box. Motion Composites makes carbon fiber folder. You didn't say if you wanted a manual, or power chair, folder or rigid. What you are going to use if for. What kind of vehicle you have if you want to take it with you.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
          There is also BOX chairs, by Mike Box. Motion Composites makes carbon fiber folder. You didn't say if you wanted a manual, or power chair, folder or rigid. What you are going to use if for. What kind of vehicle you have if you want to take it with you.
          Prefer manual, folding, daily use chair. I have used 2different quickies and hated them both because they both broke in different ways within the first month of owning them. I liked my tiLite but they stoped making that model.

Comment

Then maybe you should check out the Motion Composites carbon fiber folder.

Comment

[QUOTE=nauticalmike;n2899425]

Prefer manual, folding, daily use chair. I have used 2different quickies and hated them both because they both broke in different ways within the first month of ow

Where did they brake? At the folding X? Mine (quickie 2 HP) is 38 years old, been abused and misused. I welded gussets in and it stop braking. I got a new one and welded them in the day I got it. The Motion Composite has good reviews, but it use to come in only three sizes. I had a Tilite 2 GX it was horrible and weighed a ton. My girl friend had and Aero X. It was lighter than the titanium chair and much nicer.
              Have you looked at Ki. The company is in Wisconsin, started by old Quickie engineers.

Comment

Box was Colours Wheelchairs, right? I had one of those about 15 years ago. It was heavy and the hardware rusted. At the time a few other people mentioned similar issues. It's possible they changed since then.

If you're going with a more standard titanium lightweight chair, I recommend TiLite. I've been happy with their ZRAs for the last decade or so.

I can't comment on the exotic material chairs.

Comment

Yeah, the Box brothers started Colours N Motion. They sold in 2010 and Mike then went on to start Box Wheelchairs.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

[QUOTE=baldfatdad;n2899481]
                    Originally posted by nauticalmike View Post

Prefer manual, folding, daily use chair. I have used 2different quickies and hated them both because they both broke in different ways within the first month of ow

Where did they brake? At the folding X? Mine (quickie 2 HP) is 38 years old, been abused and misused. I welded gussets in and it by heat treating braking. I got a new one and welded them in the day I got it. The Motion Composite has good reviews, but it use to come in only three sizes. I had a Tilite 2 GX it was horrible and weighed a ton. My girl friend had and Aero X. It was lighter than the titanium chair and much nicer.
                    Have you looked at Ki. The company is in Wisconsin, started by old Quickie engineers.

no it was stupid shit like footrests and brakes and casters if I recall correctly, it has been a few years, but for anything to break that quickly is just wrong in my opinion. It should go for at least a year before needing components replaced. That was my quickie 2,light. My zenon was Also a caster problem that made the chair unuseable, and it required a new side frame and caster assembly to repair. And after they fixed it which took like 2 or 3 months because they had to keep ordering additional parts and coming back. Although the center bolt hasn’t broken again yet they get knocked out of adjustment which causes them to flutter really bad every time to hit a anything with it. There originally were indexing serrations because quickie seems to like them, but the have been completely either rubbed off or smashed smooth because either they didn’t heat treat or couldn’t harden whatever alloy of aluminum they,used. Should be 6061 I would expect, but who knows what they do, there quality control must be pretty poor unless I have just been lucky to get defective parts from them every time ive dealt with them. Once upon a time I was reading a post by someone and they were saying how awesome their Quicki 2 light was, which was just the opposite of my own experience. Actually the loaner chair which they initially let me use was a breezy and it was far superior to the quickie I paid over $2800.00. The only positive thing that I can say about that chair was the price the DME charged me since it was out of my own pocket, the invoice they were going to give to my insurance company if I’d had one was for more than $5k...

Comment

Working...
                    X