My new chair (Hands on Concepts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new chair (Hands on Concepts)

Here are some pics of my new chair from Hands on Concepts. For those that don't know, this is the shop that make D's Locks. I started following them on instagram a few years ago when I saw they were making chairs. I was always very impressed with the quality of their work as well as the ingenuity of their frame/suspension designs. Their chairs had a lot of features that just aren't available from Ti-Lite, etc. I came from a ZRA then TR3, and now this. The process was really straight forward and Steve and his guys were great to work with. There were no issues at all throughout the process. If there was a question I had or a dimension I needed to change I just called them up and we walked through it. I even sent them images from a 3D/CAD model I drew to show them the footplate cage I designed as well as some other custom loops I wanted for various bags I have. It was nice being able to talk to the guy that was actually building the chair and getting pictures along the way was a nice touch. And by the way this is not a paid endorsement and I am not affiliated with HOC at all, just a happy customer. The turn around time from start to finish was about 6 weeks and they shipped it to me from San Diego. All of their prices are on the order form on their website if you are curious http://www.teamhoc.com

On to the specs:

- Rigid Lite Chair
    - Titanium cantilever / ergo frame
    - V front end
    - Carbon seat pan (split for ergo frame)
    - Carbon side guards with welded titanium edge trim
    - Carbon footplate with custom titanium cage
    - Lock up folding backrest
    - Titanium loops for calf straps, under seat bag, and side bag for keys/wallet
    - D's Locks with welded mounts
    - Machined aluminum tubing caps
    - Carbon Matrx MX2 back (9")
    - 25" Spinergy XLX wheels with blue anodized hubs/rims (no camber)
    - 4" Frog Legs blue anodized casters w' unitine forks
    - Surge Handrims (short tab)
    - Right Run tires
    - Ride Java cushion

Having been in the chair for a few days now, it feels and rides as good as it looks. The quality is just crazy compared to other chairs I've had. All of the dimensions are right and straight, no floating casters, etc. For reference, my previous TR3 also had a carbon seat pan, side guards, backrest, etc. and this new chair is 1.5lbs lighter. The transfer weight is 16.5 lbs without the wheels and cushion. I'm 6'-2" with a 15x20 cushion, so this chair is pretty long. Most of the weight savings came from avoiding all of the aluminum brackets my TR3 had. They even welded the D's locks mounts onto the camber tube. I really like how the titanium tube wraps around the side guards and is welded to the frame. I designed the footplate cage to allow for my widest shoes with space for my freewheel between them, but kept it 6" deep so that it doesn't get in my way when I load the frame in my car. The calf strap loops and others for my bags allow everything to be attached on the inside instead of wrapping around the frame. I love the way everything turned out and cannot say enough good things about the build quality and experience of working with HOC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	New Chair1 (Custom).jpg Views:	3 Size:	921.8 KB ID:	2898219 Click image for larger version  Name:	New Chair2 (Custom).jpg Views:	3 Size:	957.1 KB ID:	2898220 Click image for larger version  Name:	New Chair3 (Custom).jpg Views:	3 Size:	853.1 KB ID:	2898221 Click image for larger version  Name:	New Chair5 (Custom).jpg Views:	3 Size:	963.0 KB ID:	2898222 Click image for larger version  Name:	New Chair7 (Custom).jpg Views:	3 Size:	863.6 KB ID:	2898223

It only lets me attach 5 images at a time... Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair8 (Custom).jpg
Views:	304
Size:	1,003.1 KB
ID:	2898225 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair11 (Custom).jpg
Views:	293
Size:	871.4 KB
ID:	2898226 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair14 (Custom).jpg
Views:	288
Size:	937.9 KB
ID:	2898227 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair18 (Custom).jpg
Views:	288
Size:	780.6 KB
ID:	2898228 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair19 (Custom).jpg
Views:	284
Size:	928.5 KB
ID:	2898229

Comment

LOVE IT! I've been in contact with them. Considering using them for my next chair.

Did you go visit them in person? Or send them your measurements?
      -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Comment

Congrats on a masterpiece!! Would love to see the bags attached.
        Covered by Insurance?

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Originally posted by ResonantEcho View Post
            LOVE IT! I've been in contact with them. Considering using them for my next chair.

Did you go visit them in person? Or send them your measurements?
            Thanks. I'm on the other side of the country, so I just sent them my measurements.

Originally posted by crispy1981 View Post
            Congrats on a masterpiece!! Would love to see the bags attached.
            Covered by Insurance?
            Thanks, I wasn't able to go through insurance, but it wouldn't hurt for anyone interested to check with them first. Here are some pics with the bags attached:

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair20 (Custom).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	969.2 KB
ID:	2898258 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair22 (Custom).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	1,007.9 KB
ID:	2898259 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair23 (Custom).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	999.3 KB
ID:	2898260

Comment

Sweet they are doing some fantastic work
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Super clean man. I love those brakes. My HO is forcing me into a power chair what's your level of injury ?
                Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by McLaren87 View Post
                  Super clean man. I love those brakes. My HO is forcing me into a power chair what's your level of injury ?
                  Thanks, I had these brakes on my last chair too and will never have another chair without them. I'm T6 complete.

Comment

I love that chair. It's also nice to see a great set of good quality photos of it. Very nicely done.

Comment

I didn’t know you could get xlx wheels with anodized hubs! Very nice looking.

Comment

• Oddity
                        Oddity commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Check this out:

https://spinergy.com/design-lab/

Dial up any configuration you want! That's how I made the set I got on my latest chair. Sent the quote to Bike-On and they discounted it and sold them to me!

Fantastic chair.
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Would you mind giving us more detail on measurements? Dump? Back post height? Etc.? Also if you don't mind the total cost? You can PM that to me if you don't want to make it public.
                        -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Comment

Originally posted by ResonantEcho View Post
                          Would you mind giving us more detail on measurements? Dump? Back post height? Etc.? Also if you don't mind the total cost? You can PM that to me if you don't want to make it public.
                          As far as cost goes, I don't mind listing prices because they are on HOC's website/order form already. Plus, this is going to vary greatly depending on our needs. A basic chair from HOC with no upgrades starts at $1,950. Once you add basic scissor brakes, forks, casters, cushion, rear wheels, etc. you are going to be around $3,000 I would say. That would be bare bones. If someone reused their own wheels, backrest, cushion, etc. that would help a lot.

My chair had pretty much every upgrade they offered, plus additional item I asked for like the welded loops for my bags and footrest cage. So my frame, carbon side guards, carbon seat pan, carbon footplate, folding backrest, ergo bend, v front end, and all the custom hoops came out around $4,200. For reference, a TiLite ZR frame alone is $4,400 (no side guards, seat pan, ergo bend, v front end, etc.) just the frame. Once you add the D's locks, cushion, anodized wheels, backrest, etc. it came out to about $7,500. But again, that's over twice as much as a basic chair from them. I calculated the cost of doing a ZR with all of the same options my chair has and it would be around $9,800. So the HOC chair is far more affordable.

Here are my measurements, and keep in mind my cushion is a lot taller in the back than the front so my dump isn't as much in reality:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62024.jpg Views:	22 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	2898353
                          Last edited by Brad09; 05-31-2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• ResonantEcho
                            ResonantEcho commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Brad,

Thanks for sharing that information. That's not a bad price AT ALL.

In regard to ergo seating. Do you find it hard to dress in your chair? I went with a 4-inch dump in my current chair and now regret it for a couple of reasons. I'm a T6/T7, so I have issues with balance obviously (like yourself). I went with more dump this time because I assumed it would help with that. It hasn't. Also, it's harder getting dressed in my chair. I slide when putting my jeans/pants on.

I wish I felt more confident in exactly what I want with measurements. The only thing I want to move this time is the back (folding). Everything else I don't want to be able to adjust. That way there is less chance of things moving and when I go to adjust not getting them aligned just right.

I can dress in my chair and occasionally do, but I find it far easier to get dressed in bed. Mainly, I can put pants on laying down in about 1/3 the time it takes me in my chair. Not because of the dump, its just really hard for me to get them past my hips and pulled all the way up in the back. Laying down I just flip my legs over to one side and pull my pants over the exposed hip, then flip to the other side and do the same. I always put the clothes I am going to wear the next day in my chair at night, so everything is right there before I get out of bed in the morning.

As far as dump goes, I have found it doesn't help me that much either (and I have no trunk control at T6 as well). So I like my lap to be fairly flat/slightly tilted back so I can carry stuff around without it falling over. You can see in the pic below this folding backrest can be adjusted forward and back as well by the adjustment screw on the bottom of the post. It has a slot where it can move side to side. But the "bracket" they use for the folding back is much more simple/lighter than the big aluminum one on my TR3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair13 (Custom).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	858.9 KB
ID:	2898415 Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chair9 (Custom).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2898416

Comment

Working...
                          X