Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheelchair Hard to turn.

Hello guys

This is my first chair and I've had it for a few years now. But ever since I got it, I noticed that its very difficult turning 90 degrees left or right when I'm sitting upright or moving. I literally have to come to a complete stop, lean back off the casters and then turn. Sitting stationary, if I try to turn, I have to use a lot of strength and get the wheels past a certain threshold to swing to the chair or I lean back to take weight off the casters..then its not an issue.

I'm a fairly big guy, 6ft 1 and 220lbs. I was diagnosed with LGMD (a form of muscular dystrophy ) that causes weakness in the limbs, but I'm still strong enough that I can push myself up steep inclines and I never tire out while pushing or anything. Plus I still weight train moderately with free weights. So I don't think turning should be this hard. I've also been in regular hospital chairs a while back and I don't remember it being this hard to navigate.

Maybe I have the wrong casters, I don't know. But I posted pictures below of the froglegs casters. (Chair: TiLite Aero Z)
    Hopefully someone can help me out. Than you in advance!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200517_084259.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	2897860 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200517_084315.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	2897861 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200517_084317.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	2897862
    Attached Files

Check that the casters turn freely. Both the wheels and the fork stems. Check the balance of your chair. If there is too much weight on the front it can be a bear to turn. Check the rear tires are inflated as high as possible.

Comment

• Shawo
      Shawo commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes the casters turn freely when I'm not in the chair. And I keep the rear tires inflated to 145psi for the marathon plus. The balance might be the issue and I've no idea how to check that.

Too much caster will make the chair want to keep straight. By cater I mean the axis of the caster-stem/pair of vertical bearings.
    The axis should be 90* to the ground plane.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

• Shawo
      Shawo commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll definitely post pictures. They look like they are, but this is m first chair, maybe you might notice something I don't. On the work order, it says 90 degrees -No taper

Are they at 90o to the floor. Can you get a good side shot of the front wheels so we can see where the front wheel touches the floor. If not at 90o, that'll cause. If you have camber on your rear wheels, is the toe in/out right.

When was the last time you cleaned the hair out fro between the caster and fork? If there's a lot, it can make it harder to turn.

Comment

• Shawo
      Shawo commented
      Editing a comment
      No debris in between the wheels and fork. I clean it all time

Hi, when you say "get the wheels past a certain threshold to swing to the chair" it sounds to me the caster steering axles are sloped forward (or backward) and not vertical like they should be. And in the photos you posted it sorta looks that way too, but due to not showing enough chair it is hard to tell.

This is the same answer that Patrick gave in his first paragraph if that helps any.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

How old is this TiLite Aero Z?
      Did you purchase it new or used?
      Is it fixed caster at the factory and the wheels have been changed out to smaller/larger wheels? That would screw up the castor orientation from 90?
      Has the amount of dump been played with?
      My TR that I am doing up for my son has factory fixed castor stem angle. Well they sure as hell look that way to me. A screwy idea. But all things can be back or forward engineered, right?
      Is the elastomar in the Frogs Legs perished/collapsed?

If you are unable to do so yourself, have someone take straight -on and side- on images with wheels orientated direct ahead. No flowery posed for sale type photos.
      Do you have the original factory specs/drawings. What size wheels and castors are you running and are they different from factory spec?

Comment

• Shawo
        Shawo commented
        Editing a comment
        How old is this TiLite Aero Z? Since 2012

Did you purchase it new or used? Brand new

Is it fixed caster at the factory and the wheels have been changed out to smaller/larger wheels? That would screw up the castor orientation from 90?
        Haven't changed a thing

Has the amount of dump been played with?
        I'll post pictures- not that much, no more than a regular office chair

Is the elastomar in the Frogs Legs perished/collapsed? No, they are find on both sides and functional

Your center of gravity is to far back.

Comment

Thank you guys for the responses. One thing I need to mention is that the RTS that fitted me for the chair doesn't like the way it turned out. The chair made from the initial measurement was sitting up way too high for a comfortable transfer and it was the wrong color. They took it back because of the color error on their end, but when they remade the chair I told them it needed to be lower. So maybe with my long legs and a lower than normal seating position, it might have something to do with it.

I'll definitely get someone to take pictures from the side while I'm in it an post them when I get a chance.

I think balance might be the issue. Too much on front, but any more weight on back, I'm afraid it may make me tip over backwards.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	TILITE CHAIR.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	2897916 Click image for larger version

Name:	TILITE CHAIR 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2897915

Comment

Hi Shawo. My TR project is 2010. Are your castor mounts fixed like this example? Click image for larger version

Name:	TILite TR castor -  (2).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	2897921
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks @slow_runner.

I'll definitely upload side pictures when I get someone to get better angles while I'm in it. But the arrow on the third picture is where it joints the frame and its not bent forward or backwards. The screw is tight and its 90 deg. to the floor. Straight down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	caster 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	2897940 Click image for larger version  Name:	caster 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	2897941 Click image for larger version

Name:	caster arrow.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	902.0 KB
ID:	2897948
            Last edited by Shawo; 05-18-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

error

Comment

Originally posted by Shawo View Post
                I'll definitely post pictures. They look like they are, but this is m first chair, maybe you might notice something I don't. On the work order, it says 90 degrees -No taper
                That's the angle of the front of your frame with no rear to front taper in frame width. We're talking about the front wheel being 90o to the floor. It looks like it's not 90o. Toe in/out on rear wheels and 90o front casters are vitally important for a smooth running chair.

This is your first chair. Good that it's adjustable to dial in what future chairs will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawo View Post
                  Thank you guys for the responses. One thing I need to mention is that the RTS that fitted me for the chair doesn't like the way it turned out. The chair made from the initial measurement was sitting up way too high for a comfortable transfer and it was the wrong color. They took it back because of the color error on their end, but when they remade the chair I told them it needed to be lower. So maybe with my long legs and a lower than normal seating position, it might have something to do with it.

I'll definitely get someone to take pictures from the side while I'm in it an post them when I get a chance.

I think balance might be the issue. Too much on front, but any more weight on back, I'm afraid it may make me tip over backwards.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	TILITE CHAIR.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	2897916 Click image for larger version

Name:	TILITE CHAIR 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2897915
                  That's your center of gravity I mentioned.

Comment

Have you made any inroads and discovered the cause Shawo?

Comment

Working...
                    X