Wet Ones Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Ones Replacement?

I use "Wet Ones" to help clean my hands when I catheterize myself especially when I am away from home or in a spot with no running water and soap. Since the coronavirus news has hit it seems I cannot find Wet Ones anywhere. I have gone to Costco, BJ's, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and all the other local stores around and nobody has any Wet Ones on the shelf and they don't know when they will get them again. I even called the manufacturer (Edgewell) in Connecticut and spoke to a human being that was really no help whatsoever, 1-866-938-1117. I live in Massachusetts and I would even drive down to the manufacturer in Connecticut to load up right from the factory if possible.

Anyway, does anyone know where Wet Ones are available or what is a suitable substitute to sanitize my hands before catheterizing myself?

Thanks!

See if you can find some standard, not anti-bacterial, wipes. The ones that are not disinfecting might not be sold out. I had a whole bunch of those leftover from when somebody gave me a case of them after I was injured. Over those years they tended to dry out quite a bit. I left a package open for a few days to dry it out even more, then made up a solution of Clorox and water to the recipe listed online several places. I used 2 teaspoons per pint. Some recipes were stronger and some were weaker. One package of wipes absorbed almost the entire pint.
    And if you prefer benzalkonium chloride, you can buy a 500ml bottle of 50% concentrate for $80, enough to make 25 gallons of hand sanitizer.
    Good luck.

Comment

Plenty of Baby Wipes on Amazon

Comment

I noticed the same thing. I keep my eyes open online, rather than going to stores, but it is a crap shoot. I was able to buy one small pack of 20 at Target online. They only allowed you to buy one per order though.

Try the individually wrapped BZK wipes (benzalkonium chloride). They will probably be smaller than the wet wipes, but might be enough. Look at your usual medical supply stores online, or ask the company who supplies your catheters if they can send them. You can offer to "buy" them, but your supplier might throw them in for free... especially if you tell them you are out. I recently bought some from Mountainside Medical Equipment. They are a small company who claim they aren't price gouging, but all prices look high to me these days.

You could also try alcohol wipes. Or even baby wipes.

Comment

When I'm on the road, I take a paper towel and put a few drops of water and a drop of soap on it. Free.

Comment

This should be deleted...wrong post.
            Last edited by crispy1981; 04-21-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Wet ones were a part of my routine as well, but no more. I found some babywipes at Target and bought about 80. I sure hope supply catches up with demand sooner rather than later.

If you find somewhere that reliably has Wet Ones, let me know.

Comment

Soap and water is actually better than baby wipes for cleaning hands and genitals for self catheterization. You can carry one wet and one soapy washcoth with you in baggies when you leave the house. Not as convenient as baby wipes, but they work just as well. There is no evidence that use of antiseptic (not disinfectant) wipes are any better in this situation than soap and water.

Also, ask at your local drug stores at the cash register if they have any wipes in stock. In my area several stores only have them behind the counter to sell to those that have a legitimate need. Many people are hoarding them as an alternative to toilet paper.

I also have not seen any good evidence that benzalkonium chloride is effective against COVID-19 viruses so would not recommend this over soap and water for hand sanitizing and other skin or mucous membrane uses.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Dollar star- any kind of wipes- add 70% isopropyl alcohol or chlorox to moisten, put in ziploc baggie and seal. Don't leave home without wipes. Not just for cathing but pushing the elevator button- I sanitize it before I touch it and after.
                  CWO
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    Soap and water is actually better than baby wipes for cleaning hands and genitals for self catheterization. You can carry one wet and one soapy washcoth with you in baggies when you leave the house. Not as convenient as baby wipes, but they work just as well. There is no evidence that use of antiseptic (not disinfectant) wipes are any better in this situation than soap and water.

Also, ask at your local drug stores at the cash register if they have any wipes in stock. In my area several stores only have them behind the counter to sell to those that have a legitimate need. Many people are hoarding them as an alternative to toilet paper.

I also have not seen any good evidence that benzalkonium chloride is effective against COVID-19 viruses so would not recommend this over soap and water for hand sanitizing and other skin or mucous membrane uses.

(KLD)
                    KLD, When I go to a toilet stall, soap is of no value because there is no sink in there. If I wash my hands at the sink, I still have to push my chair into the stall and at that point they are contaminated......that is when Wet Ones are of the most value.

Comment

Don't know if help or not, I posted in another thread about local supplier for janitorial, medical, etc warehouse started selling to public due high demand of items and they got as well hand sanitizer, etc made by local brewery/distillery. They selling small as well as large qualities.
                      You might Google such businesses in your area or call Chamber of Commerce to see if any in your area.

Comment

I used pure n gentle wipes from walmart. 98 cent for 90 wipes. Have been using them for years every time I cath.

Comment

Thanks Stan but do they have any antibacterial properties or kill germs?

Comment

They are not antibacterial wipes.

Comment

It blows my mind that in Canada and the USA we find ourselves wanting. I've been trying to source PPE at any price since mid-January. We need to repatriate our manufacturing - All of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X