What kind of shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of shoes?

I have been using athletic shoes about 1 size too big Wondering what others use I have had a toe sore on big toe for a year basically healed now. I have seen some athletic shoes with “comp toe” using some kind of composite vs steel toe to protect the toe anybody try these? I want some more protection but of course have to be careful not to cause another sore. Previous sore was caused by trauma to the big toe not related to my shoes. what works for you?

I buy x-wide shoes.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

+1 for wide shoes. I wear E width (D is the standard men's width).

Comment

I would avoid those steel toed shoes. Look at diabetic shoes instead, in a wide width, and ones that have a large toe box.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Like KLD posted 'Look at diabetic shoes'. Also, if you have not got a podiatrist already then might think about it.
          I'm diabetic and didn't think much about shoes til had sore on forefoot. After surgery had shoes from prosthetic place. They built up on that foot and made adjustments til healed.. Podiatrist changed to diabetic shoes for last 15 or so years. They last long time without wear and tear on soles.
          Anyway, I wear extra wide 6E and extra depth with insert.
          I been trying find some 6E house slippers but have not, yet. Did find a site selling diabetic and really wide shoes up to 6E called Orthofeet shoes. Found same shoes I got from podiatrist last few times.
          "Good Luck!"

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            I would avoid those steel toed shoes. Look at diabetic shoes instead, in a wide width, and ones that have a large toe box.

(KLD)
            Totally agree. I had a job where steel toe tennis shoes were required. Very uncomfortable (tried many brands) and prone to cause irritations.
            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
            Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
              I buy x-wide shoes.
              From where. I need EE 10 1/2. Got tired of searching.
              Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
              Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Check for shoes on these websites:

Orthofeet: https://www.orthofeet.com/

FootSmart: https://www.footsmart.com/

and for women's styles only:

Maryland Square: https://www.marylandsquare.com/

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Can vouch for Orthofeet, recommended by KLD. I buy one size up, in a wide width. Some Orthofeet styles are undjustable with Velcro straps, which works well with my KAFO.
                  MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

If you don't need to wear shoes, for instance in an office environment, you can also try sheepskin or lambswool lined moccasin that is soft, yet will also protect your feet.

Lately I've been also wearing fleece booties from adaptations by Adrian. They're not too stylish, but they sure as hell are soft and are not constricting.

high-meant more for the winter, but I wear them year-round. Would look kind of goofy if one wears shorts though.

https://www.adaptationsbyadrian.com/...-p/224-229.htm

low

https://www.adaptationsbyadrian.com/...-p/230-235.htm

Comment

New Balance extra wide walking (yeah, I know, ironic) shoes from Zappos.

Comment

New Balance or Asics extra wide for me.

Comment

The people who thru hike the long trails like the Appalachian trail (2190 miles) use shoes called trail runners. As SCI nurse said the distinguishing features are large "toe boxes". They look square at the toe rather than tapering. You may want to search sites like REI and look for shoes with roomy "toe boxes" and buy one size larger than needed.

Comment

Healthy Feet site. Been ordering shoe from them nearly 20 years. Very satisfied, good return policy. Many brands, styles sizes, including EEE. Haven’t worn out the soles, yet!
                            You C.A.N.
                            Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Thanks for all the input I just tried a pair from orthofeet lot of good things toe box roomy etc just too long they are almost 4cm longer than my old new balance they don’t sell my model of new balance anymore so I will check some of the above suggestions really hard to buy shoes online I want them to be light ,large toe box ,at least 4E wide ,mesh so breathable ,yet some toe protection so I will keep looking
                              Thankfully Ortofeet has good return policy .

Comment

Working...
                              X