Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of cushion are you sitting on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two Jay cushions, a Comfort Mate cushion that is foam, and the cushion I like the most is from the Comfort Company. It has gel in it and it is about 3 inches high in the front and it drops to about an inch in the back. I feel more comfortable in my chair with the added tilt, but it does not distort the way I am sitting and to the onlooker, they probably could not see any difference.

http://www.comfortcompany.com/

PN
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I have to use a coxynx cushion. It's got a V cutout for the tailbone area. If I don't use it I have pain for Hour's! still have to lean forward to keep all my weight off my tailbone.

Doug

Comment

Paul, those cushions from Comfort co. look interesting. Couple of questions please:L
        1. which one do you use
        2. how thick is it
        3. is it good for a 12 hour day with just tilt for repositioning

Thanks, I had never seen anything about this company. My brother is C5 and has balance issue, looks like these would help with that and keep legs in alignment. Debra

Comment

My ass is parked on a Jay 2 gel cushion. I figure if it is for someone with "a high risk of pressure issues", it should be good enough for my squirmy paranoid of sores self. I mapped one out once and the computer said it was ok apparently. Now what would be cool is some sort of portable mapping device or blood flow meter that you could put under your butt and leave it there to see when and if you need a pressure release or not.

Comment

I have always used a low profile Roho cushion. Don't know what it would be like to sit on anything else. I move around alot but I don't do all that pressure relief.I get that from the roho and movement. I'm a complete para.
            I am waiting for my Varilite back. You told me about it. I hope I get use to it. I have always had just a cloth back.

And hey, I got my TiLite WC with spinergy wheels. But I'm not sure about these solid tires, therefore I might have to change them.But, I soooooo happy.
            I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
            Van Morrison

Comment

For got to say that I have just got a Quadtro cushion cause I have scoliosis for balance. Don't know if it works yet.

These Gifts I ask of thee Spirit, Serene Strength for the Daily task, Courage to face the road, Good cheer to help me beat the traveler's load and for the hours of the rest that come between an inward Joy of all things heard and seen
              Henry Van Dyke
              I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
              Van Morrison

Comment

I use a Jay II for posture and stability. My pressure map sucks, but since I have real muscle in my butt it doesn't matter. I also have good sensation that tells me when I need relief.

In my car I use a Stimulite. It conforms to the shape of the bucket seats well enough. I used to use a Roho in the car. But they all leak after a while. I've had my Stimulite for years and it's still working great.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
                ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

I'm gellin! I use a Jay II, the only cushion I have ever used. It is a bit heavy, but I haven't experienced any problems with it. I get a new one about every two years.

Brian, T8 complete

Comment

Debora:

I am using the Support Pro wedge cushion. I suggest that you consult with a physical therapist before you finalize your decision. Also, you may want to call the Comfort Company and discuss your concerns with Crystal.(800)-564-9248

I have not had any problems with skin breakdown while using this cushion. I am in the process of ordering another Support Pro from this company. Good luck.

Support Pro

PN
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

You may want to try the new ROHO Harmony. It is unique among the ROHOs due to it's contoured shape and firm foam base (air cells are shaped differently as well). PRO: I have tried it and found that it did provide me more trunk stability because of its natural dump. It was comfortable and felt a bit like sitting on a firm waterbed. CON: I recently had a patient that noted it was compressing on one side. I have not evaluated the compressed cushion yet.

www.misportsunlimited.com

Comment

I used to build my own cushion after learning the concept in rehab never had issues, now I sit on a Jay II deep contour with fluid overfill. There are also custom built wedges to keep legs positioned closer together. I would think you'd be ok on something less than the deep, Amanda. [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]

TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY MOJO

Comment

Roho Quadtro, and my previous was a Roho Enhanced.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
                          Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbv:

There are also custom built wedges to keep legs positioned closer together.
                            Good point about the wedges. By working with a physical therapist we were able to find the right cushion. I always suggest demo if possible.

PN
                            --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbv:

now I sit on a Jay II deep contour with fluid overfill.
                              Hey Liz, could you describe just what that 'fluid overfill' is like? I was looking at that and was wondering if that would be something I should get for my next cushion, although with the ~$400.00 price tag on these things it isnt something that I would just buy to sample if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by *Andy*:

Hey Liz, could you describe just what that 'fluid overfill' is like?
                                Its extra gel, in addition to the normal amount the Jay cushions come with. It makes you sit higher in the chair a little so you may want to consider that (depending on your level) and your chairs back height, it could affect your balance possibly? I like having it, I feel like it helped a lot over the normal amount of gel Jay's have. I think I'm using my third Jay cushion; the other cushions just had regular fill. Your insurance should cover your cushion, no? [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img] Things are so expensive [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY MOJO

Comment

Working...
                                X