Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plastic coated handrim Qs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • plastic coated handrim Qs

    i have some plastic coated hand rims on my spinergy tires that are still way too slippery...what can you put on them to fix this problem? i have tried windex and fingernail polish remover, but it hasn't helped much. i know i should wear gloves, but they annoy me. please help!

    ~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

  • #2
    Originally posted by bridget:

    i have some plastic coated hand rims on my spinergy tires that are still way too slippery...what can you put on them to fix this problem? i have tried windex and fingernail polish remover, but it hasn't helped much. i know i should wear gloves, but they annoy me. please help!

    ~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~
    plastic coated handrims should be tacky. ive always used the black dipped on my spinergys. try getting them redipped
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Bridget, im trying out a new set of pushrims right now that are made from a soft rubber.You can actually squeeze them and they have awsome traction even when wet.I cant remember who makes them though.If nobody reads this today that knows anything about them i'll let you know tommorow who makes them..

      ~Oh boy,sleep! Thats where im a Viking~...Ralph Wiggum..

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey Bridget

        I have the same problem as you, and being a quad my grip is nonexistant. I havbe the same rims but have surgical tubing wraped around to give a sort of tread to halp push with. Downside is is blows for stopping as its bumpy kinda like a car with warped rotors.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shaun:

          Hi Bridget, im trying out a new set of pushrims right now that are made from a soft rubber.You can actually squeeze them and they have awsome traction even when wet.I cant remember who makes them though.If nobody reads this today that knows anything about them i'll let you know tommorow who makes them..

          ~Oh boy,sleep! Thats where im a Viking~...Ralph Wiggum..
          im curious as well shaun
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

          Comment


          • #6
            I cant find anything on my receipts that give a name for them,but im starting to wonder if maybe they are not a hard foam...

            ~Oh boy,sleep! Thats where im a Viking~...Ralph Wiggum..

            Comment


            • #7
              You could rub pine tar on them, lots of guys do that to their handrims in quad rugby. Or you can just spit on your hands to get more traction.[img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
              A little over a year ago I had my handrims coated with this sparkle foam stuff (which doesnt even look like foam), I've always had vinyl coating (which I'm assuming u have and mean by plastic) but decided to try the foam coating cuz the vinyl always seemed to lose its tackiness quickly and gets really slippery when it's raining. The foam is extremely grippy (almost too grippy at first), much better than the vinyl coated handrims, and after over a year they still haven't lost their tackiness. I'd recommend you switch to foam coated next time you get new handrims or have yours re-coated.

              Shaun- Yeah it's probably foam like I have.

              Comment


              • #8
                thanks guys [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] about this foam...where or who can i talk to about this? i have never seen it as an option when ordering a chair or even heard of it. is it expensive? sounds like it would really help my problem.

                paton, surgical tubing--i think i used that in rehab, but prefer something more discreet looking--guess i can be a little superficial sometimes

                fuente, i think the 'plastic coated' is the same as 'black dipped' since they are black

                lol, jt, i think spitting would make it worse!

                ~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sportaid has them Bridgethttp://www.sportaid.com/catalog/page...elchair%20Rims

                  There not as tough as the coated rims, but the ones ive got take some serious abuse and i figure i'll get about 1-1.5 years out of them..

                  ~Oh boy,sleep! Thats where im a Viking~...Ralph Wiggum..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    But don't those handrims get very hot when you are going downhills? I have titanium handrims and even they are getting to hot sometimes when I try to slow down the speed.

                    TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.
                    TH 12, 43 years post

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      hey thanks shaun...which brand do you recommend? does insurance cover or do you have to get them yourself?

                      ~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have the foam coated ones from sportaid on another pair of wheels I have, I haven't used them much but they are definitely better (more tacky) than any vinyl coated ones I've ever used. But not as good as the ones I had a local wheelchair dealer get coated for me in the 'sparkle foam' which they told me was new at the time and was more durable than the traditional foam, they look like they have glitter mixed in the foam (I know, sounds gay but it's really not that noticable) guess thats why they call it 'sparkle foam'.
                        If you have a local wheelchair dealer that does repair and stuff I'd go there and ask if they can get this kind of coating done for you. Or take your handrims off and send them to this place recoating service they only charge $62. Or if you wish to replace the whole handrim just order the ones from sportaid.

                        btw- I swear the spitting works! If you ever get desperate for traction spit on or lick your palms (not too much) and rub them together. Saliva is our body's natural lubricant or tackifier(when nearly dry)[img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

                        WFE- yes-no pain no gain[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JT:

                          You could rub pine tar on them, lots of guys do that to their handrims in quad rugby. Or you can just spit on your hands to get more traction.[img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          A little over a year ago I had my handrims coated with this sparkle foam stuff (which doesnt even look like foam), I've always had vinyl coating (which I'm assuming u have and mean by plastic) but decided to try the foam coating cuz the vinyl always seemed to lose its tackiness quickly and gets really slippery when it's raining. The foam is extremely grippy (almost too grippy at first), much better than the vinyl coated handrims, and after over a year they still haven't lost their tackiness. I'd recommend you switch to foam coated next time you get new handrims or have yours re-coated.

                          Shaun- Yeah it's probably foam like I have.
                          spitting works in a pinch. yes bridget black vinyl dip is what im talking about. .
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com
                          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                          sponsored handcycle racer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bridget:

                            hey thanks shaun...which brand do you recommend? does insurance cover or do you have to get them yourself?

                            ~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~
                            Now that you mention JT my have that little silver glitter in them too..

                            Bridget i dont know if there is really a best i kinda thought they were all the same till i read JT's post on the sparkled being a little tougher,and like he said it's not like sissy girly sparkley [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]..ya hardly notice it.As for insurance covering them i really cant say.I guess maybe if you could get an OT or a doctor to say they would help you in some way then maybe...

                            Bridget are you in the US or Canada?

                            ~Oh boy,sleep! Thats where im a Viking~...Ralph Wiggum..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i think the sparkly glitter would be pretty, then again i am a chick [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

                              shaun i live in the US, but i think im just going to buy them. it takes insurance like a year to get anything. im exagerrating, more like 3-6 months. there fairly cheap, so its not a problem.

                              thanks again everyone

                              ~~Everyone wants to change the world, but nobody wants to change himself. ~Leo Tolstoy~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X