Typing Fingers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typing Fingers

I had two typing fingers made for me when I was in rehab. They slip over my index fingers and are made out of that white splint material they used to use in OT. Anyway, they are breaking and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get new ones made?

Thanks, Noreen

Do you need the custom made ones or can you use a commercial product? Some just use a pencil (eraser side down) tucked into a U-cuff or even between their fingers.

If you must have them custom made like this, you may need to go back to an OT (like where you had rehab).

I am sure others can recommend what they use.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

They are custom. I'll have to get to an OT.

Thanks

Comment

Could you use one of these?

Wanchik's Typer Orthosis

or

Slip-On Typing/Keyboard Aid

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

No, mine slips right onto my finger.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

I'm a computer programemr and I have the same splints you are talking about. They break fairly regularly because of the oils in your skin. I used to go to an OT to have them made but then I bought the material myself and my brother makes them for me. I've also had my aides repair them with excess material.

You cut out the pattern with heavy scissors, immersed the piece in hot water so the material is pliable, make the general shape, then form fit it to the maker's finger in the more specific shape of a sample (hope you have), then fine tune it to your fingers so it doesn't dig in, etc. I put short pieces of rubber tubing on the ends to type with.

It's simple but does take someone with a little ability and sense. If you want, I can did around to see where I bought the material.

"Patience is a virtue, complacency a vice"

Comment

Actually, I'm a programmer, not programemr.......... long couple of days this week.....

Comment

Thanks, John. It would be great if you could find out where you got the material. Programmer - programemr, I knew what you meant. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Noreen

Comment

I'll look around this weekend and also see if I can get a copy of the general pattern for you.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Noreen,

Sorry for the delay. My brother had the material and pattern. Took some reminding to get it all. I got the splint material from Sammons Preston. The link for the splinting material is:

http://www.sammonspreston.com/splintingMaterials.htm

We were trying to figure out which one in particular we bought. We're pretty sure it's the Basic II. They may ask you what you are. My brother's an EMT, and that was OK when he ordered. I think I said I was an OT when I ordered. They don't ask for any details.

I also have a .pdf file of the cutting pattern but I don't know how to attach it to this post.

John

Comment

Thanks John. I put my e-mail address in your private topics so you could send the pattern.

Noreen

Comment

Noreen,

Have you seen the leather typing strap which fastens over your hand with velcro?

It has a stick in it with a rubber tip to cusion the typing strokes a little.

It's another home made job, but it works very well.

If you want me to post a picture, let me know so I can take one of it and I'll show you.

Simon C5/6

Disabled Living & Spinal Cord Injuries
                          http://www.apparelyzed.com/forums

Comment

Simon,

I haven't seen the splint you're talking about but I got the material and pattern from John so I think I'm set. Thanks anyway. That's a great website too. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Noreen

Comment

Working...
                            X