No announcement yet.

Going to build a ceiling hoist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got it installed today. I appreciate everyone's advice and input, but so far it has held up more than my weight without a single creak, crackle or bow. I realize that it might take time and use before a weakness shows itself, but I will definitely add reinforcement at the first sign or sound.

I'll be sure to let you know if something goes wrong. I am planning to have a colostomy done and I had to be able to get in my chair, which is why we went ahead and put it up.

Perhaps I'll win the lottery tonight and build a house that will have a professional patient track all over the house.

My room is 12' x 24'. The trusses are 24' and the peak of the truss is about 3-4' feet high. The bedroom is divided by a load bearing wall that separates the room. The bathroom is 8' x 12' and the bedroom is 12' x 16' give or take a few inches for the internal structure. The box rail is 12' long and is fastened with 10 4" lag bolts.
    Last edited by Scott C4/5; 10 Sep 2020, 12:03 AM.

Comment

GOOD! IMO your plan was OK, but I'm not a structural engineer, just an old Volkswagen mechanic
      I'm glad you didn't let all those engineers confuse you.
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

Comment

Scott--good to hear you're up and running. Since others will probably looking to take on a similar endeavor, I would be remiss not to mention that it's certainly not best practice to take this approach without knowing exactly what you are making this type attachment to. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
          Scott--good to hear you're up and running. Since others will probably looking to take on a similar endeavor, I would be remiss not to mention that it's certainly not best practice to take this approach without knowing exactly what you are making this type attachment to. Just my opinion.
          It is akin to sticking your finger or wanger in the 'mystery' hole in the wall and hope that it doesn't get chopped off.

Good luck with that Scott

Comment

Working...
          X