Going to build a ceiling hoist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to build a ceiling hoist...

I don't have enough room in my bedroom to maneuver a regular hoyer lift and I don't have the money for an overhead hoist system so I designed a simple track and hoist system from parts from Ace and Harbor Freight.

The rail and trolley portion I can get from Ace:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-parts/5667472

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-parts/5667373

And the hoist is from Harbor Freight:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb..._psugg_q=hoist

These parts and bolts and miscellaneous parts should cost between $250 - $300 and will allow me to start getting out of bed after nearly 6 years of bed rest.
    I'll post pictures and video of it once we get it assembled and affixed to the ceiling.

If you have any questions or comments, let me have it.

The main thing is what you have as far as structure to attach the rail to. You might have to beef up the ceiling framing above.

Comment

The rail is 12 feet long and I'll put a 3 1/2 lag bolt in each joist. As long as I stay around 200 pounds, I should be okay. Diet incentive. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
        The main thing is what you have as far as structure to attach the rail to. You might have to beef up the ceiling framing above.
        This.

Comment

What a great plan! And IMO, if it picks up the ceiling framing every 16" w/3 1/2" lag bolts you'll be fine.
          Just be sure your rail is running at 90* to the ceiling framing. If it's parallel, you'll need to get some additional reinforcement or mounting cats installed. Probably easier to rearrange the room for the lift than the framing

PS: please post up pictures as this gets done.
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

The rail will be running perpendicular to the joists and at 12 feet long, it'll pick up 8 joists.
            Last edited by Scott C4/5; 15 Feb 2020, 2:45 PM.

Comment

Great plan Scott.
              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
                The rail will be running parallel to the joists and at 12 feet long, it'll pick up 8 joists.
                Do you mean perpendicular instead of parallel? 200lbs plus the weight of the hoist...dont want to see it all come crashing down on you. I need one of these to raise my powerchair to a height it can be worked on. Hope it works out for you!
                "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
                T5/6 complete

Comment

Originally posted by Rook98006 View Post
                  Do you mean perpendicular instead of parallel? 200lbs plus the weight of the hoist...dont want to see it all come crashing down on you. I need one of these to raise my powerchair to a height it can be worked on. Hope it works out for you!
                  Yes, perpendicular... typo, and now fixed.

Comment

Here's a quick semi scale model image of a cross section of the ceiling and rail & hoist.

This image lacks the detail that it really has.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Scott C4/5; 15 Feb 2020, 3:50 PM.

Comment

How will you then connect the sling to the hoist? Will it provide you enough clearance?

Comment

Regardless of lag bolt attachment it would be wise to know what you're lagging into.

Comment

Originally posted by landrover View Post
                          How will you then connect the sling to the hoist? Will it provide you enough clearance?
                          With my hoyer cradle or something equivalent. There should be adequate distance between the hoist cable and cradle and the bed to get in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                            Regardless of lag bolt attachment it would be wise to know what you're lagging into.
                            That ceiling joists that run across my ceiling are either 2x6 or 2x4. The box rail will be bolted into each of these. If for whatever reason the rail doesn't look to be able to hold my weight, I won't use it, but everything is/will be rated to lift/hold more than my weight as well as the weight of everything else.

Comment

Need to make a spreader to hook your sling straps to. I suggest some heavy wall aluminum tube. Here?s a link for ideas.
                              https://www.google.com/search?q=spre...LVWF15WUwmO_M:

Comment

Working...
                              X