Best disposable drainage bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best disposable drainage bags?

I feel that I've tried almost all of them and each one has a weakness. It's getting rather severe so I have to ask if maybe I'm missing something. Before having to resort to ileostomy? I'd like to give another year or two with SP tubes.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated?

Main problem: consistent training without pressure or backup into the bladder or kidneys. I just finished two weeks of IV from antibiotic-resistant Pseudomonas so things are getting a little hairy. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Why not use the laytex bags? I do and IMO they are much more reliable and sensible. I sanitize (25% bleach & water) every 4 or 5 days while bathing. IMO the reflux valves in the laytex bags are safer.
    If you really wanted I’m sure you could use one ayear++
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
      Why not use the laytex bags? I do and IMO they are much more reliable and sensible. I sanitize (25% bleach & water) every 4 or 5 days while bathing. IMO the reflux valves in the laytex bags are safer.
      If you really wanted I?m sure you could use one ayear++
      Do the latex house colonies?

Comment

I think any container would
        NW NJ

Comment

Leg bags or bedside drainage bags?

What bags have you tried.

How are you positioning the bags when you are getting poor drainage?

Latex (not laytex) bags are OK for some, but many people with SCI/D have a latex allergy so that may not be the best option.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I use the latex bags and put them on the outside of a knee high sox, so it doesn't touch my skin. I think I've had the same one for 3 years. I clean it with mix of betadine and dawn soap.

Comment

K LD – leg drainage bags
              euro care, bard, Hollister, Covidien and a few more but need to look through my archives before writing down each and every model number.

PFCS 49 – can you see or how do you tell how much urine is in the container/bag. Often my backup with air and fluid so I don't judge just the fluid output. Just curious to see how you get an idea of what's going on or if you can this by looking briefly? Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

The bag empties pretty completely when I drain it.
                It holds a hell of a lot when it gets spherical but it's like a bomb to drain At least it's good to know that it will hold that much because I've had that happen more than once!
                Normally I just reach my right hand down between my legs and feel it. It's on the inside of my calf.
                Attached Files
                NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz19 View Post
                  K LD – leg drainage bags
                  euro care, bard, Hollister, Covidien and a few more but need to look through my archives before writing down each and every model number.

PFCS 49 – can you see or how do you tell how much urine is in the container/bag. Often my backup with air and fluid so I don't judge just the fluid output. Just curious to see how you get an idea of what's going on or if you can this by looking briefly? Thanks for your thoughts.
                  can you get urimaax https://www.google.com/search?client...-b-d&q=urimaax

ive been through them all too over the years, trident, conveen, bard etc etc, they all either leak, break straps, bad valves, just badly made
                  but since i found these, never had a problem, cheap too, flip valves, tough plastic, & i reverse loop (only around back of leg) the straps, they still dont break
                  survivor of beijing oeg transplant

Comment

I'll check these out. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz19 View Post
                      There is no way to measure volume short of draining into a graduated container, but unless you're logging urine output, it's a non-issue.
                      You'll quickly get present to when it's time to dump, or can I go to the Shoprite and dump it later?
                      PS: I wonder how people that wear these things up high deal with draining. I put about a 5" piece of tube over the drain valve, wear it only inner calf, and put my foot on it's outer side on the rim of the toilet.
                      At home Stuck a strip of Velcro on the left side of the rim of the bowl; when pissing with only my sock on, my foot has fallen in more than once
                      NW NJ

Comment

Hey thanks for the knowledge. Looking to pick one up as a trial. Is there a name for what you attached above?
                        I tried Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=reus...w=1351&bih=876

I'm still searching for your particular version. How is the pressure for it to flow into the bag? Is gravity enough? Again thank you and I will pass the word around because there are many more than just me who are having problems with these damn bags.

Comment

If you're not having contractions (ideal), then gravity alone controls the flow. So gravity is what pushes open the one-way anti-reflux valve at the top of the bag.
                          You've mentioned air in the bag. As far as I can see, once the system is sealed for use, any air in the system will stay there unless you squeeze out the bag when emptying. I don't think any gases arise in a healthy bladder (i.e.: not a compost heap )
                          And don't think air gets introduced through the urethra or ostomy.

PS: the reflux valve is replaceable in my leg bag. Never needed one but suppose if you wore the thing for years (which certainly is a possibility), it might need replacing
                          NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                            If you're not having contractions (ideal), then gravity alone controls the flow. So gravity is what pushes open the one-way anti-reflux valve at the top of the bag.
                            You've mentioned air in the bag. As far as I can see, once the system is sealed for use, any air in the system will stay there unless you squeeze out the bag when emptying. I don't think any gases arise in a healthy bladder (i.e.: not a compost heap )
                            And don't think air gets introduced through the urethra or ostomy.

PS: the reflux valve is replaceable in my leg bag. Never needed one but suppose if you wore the thing for years (which certainly is a possibility), it might need replacing
                            Thank you again for all the info. Do you have a link or a search term for the bag that you use? I want to give it a try ASAP. The context information is very helpful. I think the air that I have is from colonized bacteria that give off/produce various types of gas.

Pseudomonas is my nemesis and is always there. Right now it's super strong and doing everything I can to try to trick it or to keep its colonies small. Oil of oregano, hiprex/ with with vitamin C and Ellura are my daily preventative supplements.

Comment

https://www.urocare.com/EN/Products/8532EN.php

Comment

Working...
                              X