Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Assist add-on appropriate for the beach?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Power Assist add-on appropriate for the beach?

    Is there such a thing, yet?
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

    A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.


    Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

    #2
    There's this sold at Bike-on.https://bike-on.com/freedom-trax.html

    Comment


      #3
      That's one of those things that has buyers remorse written all over it. Sorry to sound so cynical. But learning to let go is a big part of dealing with an SCI.

      Comment


        #4
        I was wondering about it too August. John Squires(fuentes) seems to really like his. I think a person would have tolive on the beach to take full advantage of it. It's an option though.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Mutley View Post
          Is there such a thing, yet?
          Not a suitable one that I’m aware of....

          Did you ever get someone to make one of your old chairs into a powered one? I was just thinking that one of those Chinese electric wheelchair conversion kits could be adapted for use with with fat-wheels, but I’ve not seen any kits that use quick-release pins, so an old clunker chair would be needed (plus a FreeWheel, or similar).
          Last edited by Gordy1; 27 Oct 2019, 9:19 AM.
          Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

          Comment


            #6
            I'd look for a Tracks type (tank or bulldozer) powerchair rental near or in route to beach unless you plan to spend a lot of time there. Not sure if they're available to rent.

            Other options;
            Assistant Push only manual chair $2500 - https://www.topmobility.com/de-bug-s...IaAmWyEALw_wcB

            Power chair with trax (off road/beach, looks like fun) $25k - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4QEl_IIZZs
            I'd like one just for play.

            Beach mat $650 - 10 x 36" sq - https://accesstraxsd.com/product/beach-trax/
            I need this for deep/loose gravel in pathway to my garage. Currently have roll roofing on gravel. Looks OK for a year, then starts to look trashy.

            I've seen a Freedom Trax. Narrow track tread width and tracks are close together = soft sand = stuck. Might work well in deep/plush grass or other surfaces hard to push.
            Last edited by Gearhead; 27 Oct 2019, 9:30 AM.
            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
            Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

            Comment


              #7
              By complete coincidence, a video clip came up on my Facebook feed today, showing a guy in a tank chair racing away from some traffic lights just south of Perth. The owner of the chair has seen the post, and said “it’s a mattro der ziesel it does about 70kmh and around 660Nm of torque battery range iv made it from safety bay to Perth motoplex cruised around all day and drove it back to safety bay no problem”.

              Just ask the NDIS to fund it for you...!
              Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                By complete coincidence, a video clip came up on my Facebook feed today, showing a guy in a tank chair racing away from some traffic lights just south of Perth. The owner of the chair has seen the post, and said “it’s a mattro der ziesel it does about 70kmh and around 660Nm of torque battery range iv made it from safety bay to Perth motoplex cruised around all day and drove it back to safety bay no problem”.

                Just ask the NDIS to fund it for you...!
                Not sure what NDIS is "down under" but in the US, it's near impossible to get any insurance to pay for off road anything..
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gearhead View Post
                  Not sure what NDIS is "down under" but in the US, it's near impossible to get any insurance to pay for off road anything..
                  National Disability Insurance Scheme. A recent government-funded initiative which is supposed to provide funding to get people with disabilities out into the community (amongst other things). So, in theory, you could apply for something like this, however I suspect that the reality will be somewhat different.... (So my comment was tongue-in-cheek).
                  Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                    National Disability Insurance Scheme. A recent government-funded initiative which is supposed to provide funding to get people with disabilities out into the community (amongst other things). So, in theory, you could apply for something like this, however I suspect that the reality will be somewhat different.... (So my comment was tongue-in-cheek).
                    If NDIS is like all insurance I'm familiar with, an absolute necessity would need to be proven. Still wouldn't hurt to try.
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      freedom trax, for the money is hands down the best, im at the beach 2x per week at least. life changing
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com
                      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                      sponsored handcycle racer

                      Comment


                        #12
                        nope, doesnt get stuck in anything i have used it on
                        Originally posted by Gearhead View Post
                        I'd look for a Tracks type (tank or bulldozer) powerchair rental near or in route to beach unless you plan to spend a lot of time there. Not sure if they're available to rent.

                        Other options;
                        Assistant Push only manual chair $2500 - https://www.topmobility.com/de-bug-s...IaAmWyEALw_wcB

                        Power chair with trax (off road/beach, looks like fun) $25k - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4QEl_IIZZs
                        I'd like one just for play.

                        Beach mat $650 - 10 x 36" sq - https://accesstraxsd.com/product/beach-trax/
                        I need this for deep/loose gravel in pathway to my garage. Currently have roll roofing on gravel. Looks OK for a year, then starts to look trashy.

                        I've seen a Freedom Trax. Narrow track tread width and tracks are close together = soft sand = stuck. Might work well in deep/plush grass or other surfaces hard to push.
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com
                        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                        sponsored handcycle racer

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Fuentes - Have you had the opportunity to run it thru deep sand? The beaches I go to are pretty much in deep sand. I can drive my 4WD thru the sand, but when I get to where I want to stop on the beach, its a mutha to get around on the manual.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            FWIW, John (Fuentes) has numerous videos of him using it at the beach posted on Instagram, maybe he can post some here.
                            C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

                            Comment


                              #15
                              oh yes, captiva here is super thick sand i just blast thru, the tracks keep u on top of the sand. im 6'2 195 as well so im not a small guy. it is a beast and the price point is very low to anything else of its nature
                              Originally posted by graybeard View Post
                              Fuentes - Have you had the opportunity to run it thru deep sand? The beaches I go to are pretty much in deep sand. I can drive my 4WD thru the sand, but when I get to where I want to stop on the beach, its a mutha to get around on the manual.
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X