Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Road Or "Beefed-up" Casters?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Off-Road Or "Beefed-up" Casters?

    Does anyone know if there are any casters made for off road? I dont mean mud but casters that can easily go through cracks and grass at the very least.

    Not so much a freewheel because you can't use it in your house. But more of a permanent solution to swap out OEM casters for.

    #2
    I use caster wheels that have pneumatic 2X8 inch tires on my I-Glide. They work exceptionally well off-road. Pneumatic that size are a little difficult to find. Mine came off a Quickie manual.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by ProPulse View Post
      Does anyone know if there are any casters made for off road? I dont mean mud but casters that can easily go through cracks and grass at the very least.

      Not so much a freewheel because you can't use it in your house. But more of a permanent solution to swap out OEM casters for.
      Yes, I like the Innova slickcut tires and 8 inch superstar wheels. I like that the tires are rated for higher pressure at 50psi...

      http://www.trampaboards.com/8-inch-s...eels-c-26.html

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by nonoise View Post
        I use caster wheels that have pneumatic 2X8 inch tires on my I-Glide. They work exceptionally well off-road. Pneumatic that size are a little difficult to find. Mine came off a Quickie manual.
        These roll easier at 50psi, i have the slick cuts and inlines, i like the slickcut best. http://www.trampaboards.com/innova-s...e-p-12771.html

        Comment


          #5
          Thank you for the quick response nonoise! Do you think those would work well for everyday use? Also, is it pretty common to be able to swap out OEM casters for those easily?

          I spoke to giles88 on the phone today. A lot of great feedback on OEM caster alternatives.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ProPulse View Post
            Thank you for the quick response nonoise! Do you think those would work well for everyday use? Also, is it pretty common to be able to swap out OEM casters for those easily?

            I spoke to giles88 on the phone today. A lot of great feedback on OEM caster alternatives.
            They work perfect for everyday use outside. I use mine inside some, but they are bulky. I always say large wheels outside, small inside. Swapping the OEM is not necessarily easy, the forks have to be replaced also and the front of of the chair is likely to be lifted causing the dump to change, so an adjustable chair is best. Clearance for the footrest might be an issue too. Below is a source for forks that should work. I think the steering axle is the same 1/2 inch so those can be swapped. And the tires are probably solids so those would need changing out too.

            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoveround-T...ty!98106!US!-1
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

            Comment


              #7
              Quickies in the 80-90's had quick release caster stems on the chairs. I had a chair with a set of 4 inch wheels and forks and 8 inch wheels and forks.

              Comment


                #8
                @nonoise The link is much appreciated.

                It isn't as straight forward as I imagined for most modern chairs (just popping off the caster and putting in the over sized ones). I'm asking because a lot of the feedback we have retrieved mentions the small casters posing a risk to the users with a power add on and hitting cracks/bumps on pavement.

                I'm trying to decide if we should be creating some sort of universal caster replacements with wider tires or if we should leave for the users to do/decide on their own like smart drive has? This questions is most important with respect to over-all safety but also worth noting that liability is a risk too.

                Comment


                  #9
                  @baldfatdad I wish that they kept the quick release casters on the modern chairs!! :,(

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by ProPulse View Post
                    @nonoise The link is much appreciated.

                    It isn't as straight forward as I imagined for most modern chairs (just popping off the caster and putting in the over sized ones). I'm asking because a lot of the feedback we have retrieved mentions the small casters posing a risk to the users with a power add on and hitting cracks/bumps on pavement.

                    I'm trying to decide if we should be creating some sort of universal caster replacements with wider tires or if we should leave for the users to do/decide on their own like smart drive has? This questions is most important with respect to over-all safety but also worth noting that liability is a risk too.
                    IMO you cannot rebuild the chairs to fit oversize casters. In most cases not even 6X1.25 inch could be used even it they fit due to often fixed dump and caster steering axle angle. My TiLite ZR has 5 inch solid casters which I cannot improve. When I put it back in service with a power add-on I will use the add-on with a Free Wheel.
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      If I go more than 4" casters, they will hit my feet while turning. They will also be more apt to hit the wall and furniture. Hence, if I were to go large on the casters, it would have to be custom for outdoors. Maybe you don't have that problem. But it's a consideration.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by August West View Post
                        If I go more than 4" casters, they will hit my feet while turning. They will also be more apt to hit the wall and furniture. Hence, if I were to go large on the casters, it would have to be custom for outdoors. Maybe you don't have that problem. But it's a consideration.
                        That is right along the line that I was trying to explain. We are on the same page. Big wheels outside, small inside, different chairs, different geometries. The I-Glide with the big wheels gets me from the stair elevator and out the front door and that is about it. Otherwise it is dang clumsy inside.
                        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by ProPulse View Post
                          @baldfatdad I wish that they kept the quick release casters on the modern chairs!! :,(
                          When the chairs went to narrower/shorter frames, that took away to room for big front wheels. Then when Tilite put their front casters on wings outside the frame it made it even worse. Now people have to "ad on" front wheels to leave, flat level surfaces. It must be fine with most people.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                            When the chairs went to narrower/shorter frames, that took away to room for big front wheels. Then when Tilite put their front casters on wings outside the frame it made it even worse. Now people have to "ad on" front wheels to leave, flat level surfaces. It must be fine with most people.
                            I'm not most people, but it's definitely fine with me!

                            Everyday I'm thankful my 13" chair (just under 22" wide at the widest point of the handrims with 2 degrees of camber) can go through a 24" door. I can deal with the inconvenience of needing to wheelie if I need to go off of the pavement for a little while, but 99% of my life is lived in places where narrowness is crucial and bigger front casters are nothing but inconvenient. I think the freewheel is a genius invention... though to be fair I have yet to get myself one.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                              Quickies in the 80-90's had quick release caster stems on the chairs. I had a chair with a set of 4 inch wheels and forks and 8 inch wheels and forks.
                              A manual wheelchair that can accept a 4" caster as well as an 8" caster has to be large, heavy, and hard to maneuver. Big price to pay.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X