Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent problem with Bruno Out-Rider. Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent problem with Bruno Out-Rider. Any suggestions?

My Bruno lift in my pickup occasionally stops working, but then starts working again later without any changes in between. Sometimes the lift will pick up my chair, put it in the bed of my pickup, and I?ll drive to my destination only for the lift to trap the chair in the bed when I try to take it out. Then, sometime later, maybe 30 minutes or a few hours, it starts working again like nothing ever happened. When the lift breaks down, it?s as if it?s not getting power; none of the buttons do anything. Anyone have any experience with this issue or something similar?

are connection corroded might check them

Comment

When weird electrical things like that occur quite often it's ground related.

Comment

That's a shame. Bruno lifts are high quality and HIGH priced, I use an Out-Rider for 7yrs and never had a problem. If I remember right they come with a 2 or 3 yr warranty. Who ever installed it should also warranty their work. Sorry I don't have an answer, intermittent electrical problems really suck. Good luck.

Comment

My Bruno Joey would stop like that a few years ago. Almost left me stranded a few times.

Checking wires/connection at battery is the first place to look (assuming that's the way your Out-Rider is powered). Remove and clean even if they look good. If negative (-) is grounded on frame, it is susceptible to corrosion. Remove and clean even if it looks good. Adding a redundant ground from battery to frame is a good thing to do if your lift is grounded at frame.

I did all this with my Joey, problem intermittently persisted. With my daughters help we changed the programming (not sure if this can be done w/Out-Rider). No info anywhere on how to do it. We used a combination of button pressing on remote and micro switches/buttons (had plastic cover removed). We set it so that small led lights on each switch/button had the most flashes. Confusing to explain and to do. Shorten the story, it fixed my problem. Again, not sure if Out-Rider is made this way.
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
          Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

For the many of us who rely on mechanical equipment One of the best resources we can have is a network of good mechanics that are willing to work on our gadgets. I have pretty much given up on medical DME types and have much better luck with just good mechanical people in the repair biz.

Comment

Unfortunately, my lift is out of warranty. I bought it used on ebay. Great deal when it works (most of the time), but the few times that it's left me stuck have really not been great. The worst part of my ebay purchase was coughing up more money to have it installed by the local Bruno dealer than it cost to actually purchase the unit.

I'll look into the ground cable.

Comment

Originally posted by ABQwheelin View Post
                Unfortunately, my lift is out of warranty. I bought it used on ebay. Great deal when it works (most of the time), but the few times that it's left me stuck have really not been great. The worst part of my ebay purchase was coughing up more money to have it installed by the local Bruno dealer than it cost to actually purchase the unit.

I'll look into the ground cable.
                Wouldn't the person who installed it be the person to talk to about this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
                  Wouldn't the person who installed it be the person to talk to about this problem?
                  It's tough to get in at the local dealer. There's only one in the whole state and I don't know of any other shop that works on mobility equipment like this. The lone shop usually can't get to your vehicle for days or sometimes longer. Between that and the intermittent nature of the problem, there's not a high likelihood that they would even experience the problem. If they have relevant previous experience, I'm a little afraid of the cost. I asked here because I thought someone might know something in the hopes that I might avoid the hassle of going to the local shop.

Comment

Originally posted by ABQwheelin View Post
                    It's tough to get in at the local dealer. There's only one in the whole state and I don't know of any other shop that works on mobility equipment like this. The lone shop usually can't get to your vehicle for days or sometimes longer. Between that and the intermittent nature of the problem, there's not a high likelihood that they would even experience the problem. If they have relevant previous experience, I'm a little afraid of the cost. I asked here because I thought someone might know something in the hopes that I might avoid the hassle of going to the local shop.
                    here where I live I use a local they are not dealer … but they work on all the county and senior transporation lifts it might be a thought

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean. There's only one DME dealer around here with a full shop. Their customer service sucks. They act like their doing you a favor and they'll get to it at their convenience. I have a chair at their shop now, been waiting a week for a set of batteries luckily I have a spare chair. I hate dealing with them but their the only game in town.

Comment

Just my two cents I would go to a regular mechanic one who has a working knowledge of basic auto electrical problems. Sometime it takes a little coaxing but I have been very successful at getting guys to work on my lifts etc It sounds like a bad ground or bad connection somewhere Good mechanics have electric testers etc . to pin point the problem. In my experience "regular mechanics" are much more efficient and diagnose and solve lift problems at a fraction of the cost as any DME type dealer!

Comment

Agreed that anyone familiar with 12 volt systems should be able to make the repair. It would be a big help to have a wiring diagram. Sometimes that can be found online.

Comment

Originally posted by pete4sake View Post
                            Just my two cents I would go to a regular mechanic one who has a working knowledge of basic auto electrical problems. Sometime it takes a little coaxing but I have been very successful at getting guys to work on my lifts etc It sounds like a bad ground or bad connection somewhere Good mechanics have electric testers etc . to pin point the problem. In my experience "regular mechanics" are much more efficient and diagnose and solve lift problems at a fraction of the cost as any DME type dealer!
                            I agree. A competent mechanic has more experience, knowledge, and test equipment of 12v basics. DME techs are hourly paid verses mechanic paid by the job = more motivated.

My Bruno Joey is in rear of van with both -/+ wires running full length of van to connect directly to batt. Also a redundant ground added. Wire gauge 10, should be bigger, like small cable wire.
                            Volt drop with my long wires might be excessive (haven't tested). I can hear the difference in sound of lift with engine running or not.
                            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                            Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Originally posted by pete4sake View Post
                              Agree. It sounds like a loose/poor connection somewhere. This does not require a DME type stealer.
                              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Working...
                              X