Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery Problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Battery Problems

    I bought a light weight Pride Air 2 recently, it was the cheapest elevating chair that I've found and I like the standard seat. I'm usually only in my electric for 2-3 hours a day. Anyway, I got in it and turned it on and the power was down in the red. I had charged it the day before and hadn't used it since. These batteries had never even been in the yellow before, I always keep them charged. I removed the cowling and both batteries were swollen up and looked like they were ready to explode. Called the mobility place I had bought it from and then took the chair in to them. They said Pride was sending replacement batteries and they would replace them when they arrived. They acted like that would solve the problem but I think there may be something wrong with the electrical system or charger. why would both batteries go bad like that.

    Has anyone ever had anything like this go wrong with their batteries???

    #2
    What kind are they? Mk has been going downhill imo. My last few MK have and one of the battery positive post was leaking acid.
    Art

    Comment


      #3
      Don't know the brand. they were the AGM batteries that came with the chair. Only had the chair 4 months.

      Comment


        #4
        Could be just one battery is kaput. The only way to find out is to yank them out and test separate. AGM's work but you're better off with gel. As bad as MK has dropped in quality, they're probably still the better battery available. It's also important to charge every night.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
          Could be just one battery is kaput. The only way to find out is to yank them out and test separate. AGM's work but you're better off with gel. As bad as MK has dropped in quality, they're probably still the better battery available. It's also important to charge every night.
          No both batteries were swollen and I've already returned the chair. I did find it interesting that I tested the swollen batteries and I got 24.3V. I find it hard to believe that changing the batteries will solve the problem. I agree gel is better than AGM but that's what came with the chair and that's what the replacement batteries will be. I'm not spending my money on a set of gel batteries until I suck the life out these free AGM's.

          Comment


            #6
            Did you DME send back your charger to be checked?
            Reason I ask is had battery swell on a vehicle once and problem was alternator. Not same but same way charger might not be kicking off to float once charged.
            "Good Luck!"

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MikeP2013 View Post
              Did you DME send back your charger to be checked?
              Reason I ask is had battery swell on a vehicle once and problem was alternator. Not same but same way charger might not be kicking off to float once charged.
              "Good Luck!"
              Well I took the charger in with my chair because I thought it could be what caused the batteries to swell but they said Pride told them the chargers NEVER go bad. That's BS, there's no such device that never has a faulty part.. I told them I want them to put the new batteries on the charges to test it. They said they would but my guess is they'll just install the new batteries and call it a day. We'll see.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
                No both batteries were swollen and I've already returned the chair. I did find it interesting that I tested the swollen batteries and I got 24.3V. I find it hard to believe that changing the batteries will solve the problem. I agree gel is better than AGM but that's what came with the chair and that's what the replacement batteries will be. I'm not spending my money on a set of gel batteries until I suck the life out these free AGM's.
                If you got 24.3 volt reading after a charge then your batteries are toast.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
                  Well I took the charger in with my chair because I thought it could be what caused the batteries to swell but they said Pride told them the chargers NEVER go bad. That's BS, there's no such device that never has a faulty part.. I told them I want them to put the new batteries on the charges to test it. They said they would but my guess is they'll just install the new batteries and call it a day. We'll see.
                  DME might be wrong. I got new charger(name brand) along with a new chair back when chargers still had needle and lights.
                  Batteries were toast within week. It was opposite problem though, it lighted up and needle moved like charging but only red light the green never came on and after I called DME after 2 days they said don't worry. By end of week they had come out, tested batteries(Group 27s) and both had be replaced. They gave me a loaner charger while my "new" charger was sent to it's manufacture. They tested and sent a new charger. DME did say they found it defective was reason for problem and the new replacement was shipped.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    If you got 24.3 volt reading after a charge then your batteries are toast.
                    Why??? Besides the fact they were swollen.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
                      Why??? Besides the fact they were swollen.
                      Your battery voltage should be close to 26 volts at full charge.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                        Your battery voltage should be close to 26 volts at full charge.
                        Good to know. I was surprised the voltage was 24.3 with the terrible condition of the batteries. Still would like to know what would cause the batteries to swell up like a balloon. Never have seen it before on any car/truck/tractor/wheelchair. And I've seen a lot of them in 65 years.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Could be the charger over charging. The only way to find out is with a volt meter while the batteries are being charged. One test lead would go on the positive on one battery and negative on the other. If it reads 0 volts switch the leads.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            [QUOTE=Rustyjames;1886265]Could be the charger over charging. The only way to find out is with a volt meter while the batteries are being charged. One test lead would go on the positive on one battery and negative on the other. If it reads 0 volts switch the leads.[/QUOTE

                            Should they be fully charged when you test? Or should you check when you first start charging? What should the volt meter read and would the reading be if the charger is over charging?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Check when you first start charging. Then check when it's finished and float charging. The battery should have the charging specs on it. After its charged, disconnect and let it sit over night and check it. But even if that all checks out it doesn't necessarily mean the battery(s) are fully functional, but it's a good place to start.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X