Battery Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I bought a light weight Pride Air 2 recently, it was the cheapest elevating chair that I've found and I like the standard seat. I'm usually only in my electric for 2-3 hours a day. Anyway, I got in it and turned it on and the power was down in the red. I had charged it the day before and hadn't used it since. These batteries had never even been in the yellow before, I always keep them charged. I removed the cowling and both batteries were swollen up and looked like they were ready to explode. Called the mobility place I had bought it from and then took the chair in to them. They said Pride was sending replacement batteries and they would replace them when they arrived. They acted like that would solve the problem but I think there may be something wrong with the electrical system or charger. why would both batteries go bad like that.

Has anyone ever had anything like this go wrong with their batteries???
    Dont over think it it could just be a bad cell and not taking the charge.

Pride know ships with cheap Chinese battery's.

Make sure your charger is checked out too

Comment

The last 4 MK batteries I had replaced were swollen up to. Replaced a tractor battery just this summer same thing. Swollen up. Old used lead is probably the problem. We running out of all our natural resources.
      Art

Comment

Has anyone ever used a volt meter to check the battery charger? Mine has the typical 3 prong XLR connector. I imagine they're pos/neg/ground, does anyone no which is which? Even if the voltage measures correctly the problem could be the float not working properly.

Anyway, Thanks for all the replies

Comment

On the XLR connector one of the pins is for inhibit. That one is usually the side pin. On my chair the top is Postitive and and Bottom negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
            On the XLR connector one of the pins is for inhibit. That one is usually the side pin. On my chair the top is Postitive and and Bottom negative.
            If I get it wrong will it damage my volt meter? Other wise I will just poke around until I get the right two pins.

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
              If I get it wrong will it damage my volt meter? Other wise I will just poke around until I get the right two pins.
              No, won't damage the meter. First try the two pins in line with each other. Even if you have the positive and negative reversed you'll still get a reading but it'll read the voltage with -.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Rustyjames; 25 Sep 2019, 5:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks Rusty very helpful. One more question. What would expect the reading to be? I'd look it up myself but the DME still has my charger and chair, waiting for the new batteries from Pride. Think they're coming by mule train, it's been a week.

Want to hear a good one, batteries are suppose to be warrantied for a year. This happened after four months so I should have 8 more months of warranty. But they say after the first set goes bad, the second set is only warrantied for ninety days. lol

As soon as I'm sure the batteries were the problem and not a charger/electrical issue, I'll probably get me a good set of Gels.

Comment

When bulk charging it should be at least 28 volts, and float at least 26.

Comment

Working...
                  X