Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

always freezing at night. Do you use a heated blanket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

always freezing at night. Do you use a heated blanket?

I've been using heated blankets for years. However, they never seem to last longer than six months or so. I also received serious burns from one of them. I know that it's not safe to use them as a quadriplegic but don't know how else to stay warm. Are you using a heated blanket? Or, any other suggestions? I'm looking at another system like this heating pad but don't know if I should spend the money. https://www.chilitechnology.com/collections/compare

Thanks as always for any feedback!
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

I don't recommend heating pads, electric blankets, hot water bottles, etc. for people without sensation. I have seen horrible burns from this. Better to use some or all of the following:
    • Flannel sheets.
    • Down comforter with a duvet instead of a top sheet and blanket.
    • Wear long underwear or a thermal nightshirt to bed.
    • Wear a stocking cap to bed.
    • Real wool sheepskin under you.

Also, do you keep the heat on in your bedroom at night? If not due to the expense, find out if your power or fuel company has special rates for people with a medical condition that requires higher temperatures in the winter (and cooler in the summer).

The pad you reference above would go under you on top of your mattress, and most likely would negate any pressure reducing properties of you current mattress, putting you at risk for pressure injuries as well. They also don't do well with a lot of laundering.

Have you looked at something like the BedJet? I have not used these, so can't recommend, but it works something like the BairHug warmer used in hospital operating room recovery areas.

That being said, my late mother, who had MS, was always most cold when getting into bed. We bought a towel warmer, and warmed up a throw blanket which we put over her, under her down comforter/duvet, when she first got into bed. This worked well for that initial chill.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 18 Sep 2019, 4:12 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I use a heating blanket; I get in bed an hour before lights out and watch TV with the blanket on and then shut it off, otherwise I wake up hot. About a year ago I purchased a heating blanket with a timer, which is awesome; if I am not quite warm when lights out I set it to go off in 30 minutes.
      C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

I use an electric blanket to preheat the bed, turning it on about an hour before bedtime. I rarely sleep with it on.

Comment

I am always cold for the first couple of hours when I go to bed. Cannot get warm. Then a couple hours later I am hot.

Comment

The way I view it is that our legs are cold, once I get my legs warm I know I am good, usually an hour to an hour and a half under the heating blanket; I even use it in the summer.
            C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by jeft View Post
              I've been using heated blankets for years. However, they never seem to last longer than six months or so. I also received serious burns from one of them. I know that it's not safe to use them as a quadriplegic but don't know how else to stay warm. Are you using a heated blanket? Or, any other suggestions? I'm looking at another system like this heating pad but don't know if I should spend the money. https://www.chilitechnology.com/collections/compare

Thanks as always for any feedback!

I use one but I do have feeling...so I put mine on the bottom and sleep on top of it because they are to heavy and hard to move around.

Ours also shut off after a few hours maybe use a lower setting to be safe. We also hooked it to a wemo so I can turn it on and off with voice commands from Google Mini.

We get one each year in the off season at deep discount.

Comment

Like endo-aftermath I have an electric throw for the bottom half of my body which I turn off when I get into bed. During the winter I use a very warm comforter which traps my body heat, once the feet and legs warm up, quite well.

Comment

This happens to me and a ski hat does the trick once I'm under the covers.
                  T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Night hat always helped the most. It also helps to increase good fat(animal) in your diet.

Comment

Learned in rehab that electric blankets are bad so never used one, a down comforter work best. Sometimes after coming home in the winter was never able to get my lower body to warm up for hours. To negate this would nuke a towel and put it between my knees. The towel wouldn't be too hot to burn me but would generate heat where it was needed.

Have now found the best and most efficient way to stay warm is to wear a wool cap when wanting to stay warm.

May look funny, don't care, keeps me warm.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                        Also, do you keep the heat on in your bedroom at night? If not due to the expense, find out if your power or fuel company has special rates for people with a medical condition that requires higher temperatures in the winter (and cooler in the summer).

Have you looked at something like the BedJet?
                        (KLD)
                        I have not thought much about keeping a space heater going in my room just because I didn't want it fighting the air conditioner. The others in my house wouldn't appreciate keeping things as warm as I like it :-). I did try the BedJet. I love the concept and it seems to be well built. My only challenge with it is that I like to have a tablet or whatever on my lap. I also have pillows under my legs. This seemed to kill most of the airflow.

Originally posted by Cris View Post
                        Have now found the best and most efficient way to stay warm is to wear a wool cap when wanting to stay warm.

May look funny, don't care, keeps me warm.
                        I gave the idea of looking cool up a long time ago . Comfort and functionality (well, for the most part).

Thank you so much everyone for the feedback! It always amazes me how even after 25 years of being in the chair I miss simple things (like trying a wool cap). I'll give a couple of these a try.
                        Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Comment

I use a hair dryer blowing on my face and neck till I warm up .

Comment

This moving the posts is getting ridiculous by the plain fact there arbitrarily categorized by someone.

If I was looking to try and stay warm, would never occur to me to look in equipment. Would go to the Care forum were this thread originally started.

We are not reviewing space heaters or electric blankets were talking about staying warm and that is caring for your spinal cord injury.

Comment

I have Progressive MS, but I am cold year round especially living on the NW coast. I use a large electric heating pad on my legs that turns itself off. I also wear a stocking hat, and I sleep in a fleece jacket because my spine and core are also cold. I also sometimes use down booties on my feet. And my 70 lb lab service dog sleeps with me (I just recently started caving in to his big eyes, waiting for an invitation). Aside from sleeping, I always wear knee high boots during the day too.
                              Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, Head Injury, Chronic Pain Disorder

Comment

Working...
                              X