No announcement yet.

Caster issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The spacer you show is for a 3/4" hub caster. A standard spacer (shown below) is for a 1" hub caster. If you have a 1" hub caster, you have the wrong spacer. That may be the problem. Otherwise, it's the bearing. The fork opening is designed to be slightly narrower than the caster/spacer. Otherwise there may be play. I pace the spacer into place as good as possible (it won't go all the way into place as you mention). Then I place a screwdriver between the caster and the fork and pry the fork width open to slide the spacer further into place.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by August West; 7 Sep 2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
      The spacer you show is for a 3/4" hub caster. A standard spacer (shown below) is for a 1" hub caster. If you have a 1" hub caster, you have the wrong spacer. That may be the problem. Otherwise, it's the bearing. The fork opening is designed to be slightly narrower than the caster/spacer. Otherwise there may be play. I pace the spacer into place as good as possible (it won't go all the way into place as you mention). Then I place a screwdriver between the caster and the fork and pry the fork width open to slide the spacer further into place.
      I'm curious what makes you say this is for a 3/4" hub caster (tbh I don't even know what that measurement or "hub caster" refers to). My casters are strangely offset where the spacer on one side is longer than the other because the bearing is offset to one side of the caster. I don't think the type of spacer you showed in your picture will work because it is not necked down to fit inside the bearing.

Comment

If I recall correctly, your picture of your new chair shows that your casters are 1.5" (width of the tire). This may be the one you have (probably the case for a new TiLite chair):

https://www.dmehub.net/TiLite-4-x-1-...as112041-z.htm

Or this may be the one you have:

https://www.dmehub.net/4-x-1-4-EPIC-...p/frg-lt4b.htm

These two casters have similar tire widths (1.5" vs 1.4") but they may have different hub widths (0.75" vs 1") so they may require different spacers. Here is a reference for the spacers:

https://www.dmehub.net/searchresults...spacer&Submit=

BTW you should have 2 bearings not just one.

As someone mentioned before, go for the low hanging fruit first. Remove the caster from the fork stem and hold it with two fingers where the spacers would be. Squeeze to put some force on it (the same amount as it would have when in place) and then spin the caster. Does it spin freely? If yes, then your bearings are fine. If no, then you have bad bearings.

Once you have eliminated the bearings as the problem and the problems still persist, then you have an assembly issue. Either the wrong parts (first guess would be the wrong spacer, second guess would be missing spring washer) or you are overtightening.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
          My casters are strangely offset where the spacer on one side is longer than the other because the bearing is offset to one side of the caster.
          I have never heard of this configuration. I would explore this further. My understanding is that there should be 2 bearings and an internal spacer in between. This internal spacer is in addition to the two external spacers.

Comment

I don't know who is responsible for the delivery of the chair, Tilite or the DME. My guess it's the DME. They delivered my chair with loose and missing parts. You could be missing parts.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
              ...or you are overtightening...
              Over tightening is too easy to do. Do not discount that possibility.
              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

If bearing/wheel spins easy while held between two fingers, but no so free when in fork and axle bolt tightened to spec., you have a spacer problem.
                Possible previous over tightening of axle bolt (by original assembler or you) can damage (compress) soft spacer.
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Working...
                X