No announcement yet.

Adding spacers to rear wheels of TiLite X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooooooh ok, i didn't even catch that. i do know that that axel sleeve has been replaced before... not sure about the plug. this is my beater/travel chair otherwise my friends (beer, bbq and all) would have been recruited long ago. Looks like this is bigger than me tho... i guess the go-to crew is getting a call after my very low-expectation visit to NuMotion tomorrow. Thanks again!!

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Comment

Nice catch on the warped thread SR. That part just needs to be filed or ground off. There will be plenty of threads and length left. I have an old Tilite axle tube here with both inserts. At one time I removed them and finger tightened them back in place. There is no distortion and no loctite, just a fyi. Sorry I can't just hand one off to you.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
        Nice catch on the warped thread SR. That part just needs to be filed or ground off. There will be plenty of threads and length left. I have an old Tilite axle tube here with both inserts. At one time I removed them and finger tightened them back in place. There is no distortion and no loctite, just a fyi. Sorry I can't just hand one off to you.
        I just finished patching my Roho and while waiting for the cure I thought I would drop in.
        The nice catch is thanks to Dave for putting up a comprehensive range of images.
        That distorted thread will give the symptoms that Dave spoke of. As we know, it will damage the aluminium so best dealt with now. Just some judicious work with a smooth file and cleaning the threads will sort it.
        My camber tube I made mention of requires quite a bit more attention than Daves' unit .
        Last edited by slow_runner; 13 Aug 2019, 8:45 PM.

Comment

Mister mechanic checking in. What a loser! How did I miss the photo! Good call!
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
            Mister mechanic checking in. What a loser! How did I miss the photo! Good call!
            Nah, not a loser. We are all working on a solution for Dave and learning together.
            Besides, I had my Opti-Visor to aid my old eyes
            Your advice was very worthy Phil, the thread seal needed clearing out too, remember. And making people aware of the value of a hacksaw blade and a file to jerry up a thread chaser or die nut will no doubt stand in good stead for others not aware of these tricks.
            On a related side note.
            I remember putting a cam into my FXST ( the stock original had 0.050" end float ) and NOT cleaning out the propriety HD gunk of the timing case cover fasteners. You know that sound when something yields, akin to shifting bearings in a press? It was like that; I split the casing fastener boss; I had to resort to tapping the thread deeper, fitting a stud and using Loctite for porous castings to seal that split.
            Lesson learnt, I haven't done that twice
            Last edited by slow_runner; 14 Aug 2019, 7:19 AM.

Comment

Well this has been some great trouble-shooting! Thanks everyone for sharing your time and knowledge. I'm going to show up at NuMotion's door the minute they open in hopes they will just toss me a new (or spare) axel sleeve and send me on my way OR take mine into the back and grind mine down back into working condition. If that fails, I've got the perfect friend in mind to bribe. Anything one needs to be aware of when filing off the offending thread?

Comment

Originally posted by daveh0 View Post
                Anything one needs to be aware of when filing off the offending thread?
                Don't use a course bastard file, unless it is all you have . A smooth will do and if you can, file away from the thread as you don't want burs on the thread flank. The important thing is to avoid leaving burs that will pick up on the aluminium camber plug threads
                DO NOT file into the face that the axle detente balls bear on.
                if they have half capable employees at Numotion you should be fine. If they have a lathe, better still as you want a clean, uninterrupted face for the axle pin detente balls to bear against.

Check it over before you leave and query/seek clarification if you have doubts.
                Or just get new axle sleeves and revert to Phils suggestion.
                If you go this route and Numotion were the ones to suggest removing the sleeves, lean on them for a decent discount.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by slow_runner; 14 Aug 2019, 1:04 PM.

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xXq1Gwh6PDv63CBQ9
                  Annnnnnd after about an hours worth of work, NuMotion comes through in the clutch. Mission accomplished! Thanks again everyone for the guidance and wisdom!

Comment

Working...
                  X