Fork housing bearings 'TiLite"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork housing bearings 'TiLite"

Hi, asking if anyone has cross reference guide for fork housing bearings???

Chair is 2014 Tilite TR

Thanks

Use rear axle hub bearings for caster steering axle.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Hi nonoise
      Do you have a bearing number?
      Thanks

Comment

R8-2RS 1/2"x1 1/8"x5/16" inch

If you can replace them without nicking your fork and screwing up your caster swivel, you are a more-skilled person than I.

Comment

The fork assembly was corroded in place. I had to beat it out with a hammer. I just replaced the entire fork assembly. I guess one of these days I'll try to get the bearings out of the old fork assembly. But I'm not optimistic. Interesting comment about the swivel. The original fork assembly lasted 4 years before acting up whereas the new one lasted only several months. I just spray PB blaster into the bearings and adjust the nut to restore the swivel. But I was really expecting more life than several months.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
            The fork assembly was corroded in place. I had to beat it out with a hammer. I just replaced the entire fork assembly. I guess one of these days I'll try to get the bearings out of the old fork assembly. But I'm not optimistic. Interesting comment about the swivel. The original fork assembly lasted 4 years before acting up whereas the new one lasted only several months. I just spray PB blaster into the bearings and adjust the nut to restore the swivel. But I was really expecting more life than several months.
            The bearings can have a significant amount of corrosion without affecting caster swivel. What I was referring to is nicking the aluminum housing surrounding the bearing where it faces the dust cap. One small nick, and a smooth swivel may be impossible.

Comment

I must have gotten lucky. Because I had to hammer a chisel in between the fork and the dust cap to break it loose.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                R8-2RS 1/2"x1 1/8"x5/16" inch

If you can replace them without nicking your fork and screwing up your caster swivel, you are a more-skilled person than I.
                Hi, this is great! Thanks so much for the bearing #

Comment

Hi August

I've replaced bearings on many a fork assembly but never on a Tilite! I'm curious as to what the alan key set screw on back side is all about? Also, any info/advice for this job much appreciated

Comment

Does a purpose built bearing puller make the job easier?

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                    The bearings can have a significant amount of corrosion without affecting caster swivel. What I was referring to is nicking the aluminum housing surrounding the bearing where it faces the dust cap. One small nick, and a smooth swivel may be impossible.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by roller View Post
                      Hi August

I've replaced bearings on many a fork assembly but never on a Tilite! I'm curious as to what the alan key set screw on back side is all about? Also, any info/advice for this job much appreciated

The allen screw is to keep the stem (red circle in the figure) attached to the caster tube. TiLite says not to adjust it. Don't know why. I never had a need to and have always left it alone.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by August West; 1 Aug 2019, 9:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for this

Comment

OK

Finally got the bearings and tried removing fork assembly but no such luck! I'm a surfer so every time I transfer back into wheelchair, it receives a fair amount of salt water deposited on it. It's hell on upholstery, bearings, pretty much everything!! Do I need to use a BIGGER hammer? The original bearings are fairly locked up and I assume this is my problem????

Comment

Working...
                          X