No announcement yet.

manual wheelchair tire alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenda Kwick Trax (110psi) for winter for me. Decent traction in the snow and inexpensive but won't tear your hands up inside. I hate145psi tires because I never could find a pump that would inflate them to the max. My 6lb pancake compressor on wheels (which is very good quality) can only do one tire at most 120-125psi--is just powerful enough. Having to re-inflate about every 3 weeks or so is a deal breaker for me because they just don't seem to keep their air for very long (both Right Runs & Marathons.) That's why I have been rolling on Shox as my 3 season tire--for their no-maintenance quality.
    Yeah I just use Kenda 75psi and my tubes always need air after a couple of weeks. I'd like to find a better inner tube or maybe try Shox. Will they fit on my current wheels? If I can't get them on would a bike shop do it?

Comment

I've used the Shox solid tires for the past 10 years with no issues. I have never had the "soak up water" issue Oddity mentioned. They would get wet like any other tire, then shed the water as soon as I was somewhere dry. I replace my tires every 1.5-2 years once they have gotten worn down enough. I just got a new TiLite ZRA and while waiting for my desired wheels I rolled around on the stock ones with pneumatic tires. I won't lie and say the solids provide anywhere similar to the rolling resistance of pneumatic once they are any more than a few months old, but it is not enough of a difference for me to risk a flat (or the requirement to refill them on a regular basis).
      It is definitely harder to use the compact scissor locks on a solid tire than pneumatic. I have to attach them tightly for them to stop well. My wife (fully able bodied) often has issues locking or unlocking them due to how hard it is. With any sort or reduced arm strength, you'll either struggle to lock them or you'll have to leave them loose enough they won't grab the wheel well.

Comment

I won't lie and say the solids provide anywhere similar to the rolling resistance of pneumatic once they are any more than a few months old, but it is not enough of a difference for me to risk a flat
        Are you saying pneumatic tires roll easier??

It is definitely harder to use the compact scissor locks on a solid tire than pneumatic. I have to attach them tightly for them to stop well. My wife (fully able bodied) often has issues locking or unlocking them due to how hard it is. With any sort or reduced arm strength, you'll either struggle to lock them or you'll have to leave them loose enough they won't grab the wheel well.
        Thought that might be the case. That's really a deal breaker, quad. Can't use the push/pull style the mounting system is in the way when I grab the frame to transfer.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• ToastGuard
          ToastGuard commented
          Editing a comment
          The pneumatic (assuming you have them properly inflated) definitely provide lower rolling resistance. While the Shox are theoretically 110 psi, but I think that is really only when they are brand new. They get a little softer as the tires wear down. They are still hard, but properly inflated pneumatic tires will have the same rolling resistance until they deflate.
      Working...
      X