No announcement yet.

Car transfers kill shoulders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted previously in previous discussions, this document has invaluable information about preserving function of your upper extremity joints over time (and is evidence-based):

https://pva-cdnendpoint.azureedge.ne...upper_limb.pdf

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Do you old goats recommend driving from your manual chair or transferring to the car seat? I use a Mazda 5 with a built-in transfer board (the transfer from my chair to car seat is level) and a wheelchair lift (so only positioning the chair to be picked up). Does that seem like a fair enough solution? I'm considering going with an Odyssey next because Adapt Solutions makes an electric transfer board (that raises me to the seat height, and down again to wheelchair height) for the Odyssey and the lift could be installed in the Odyssey as well

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
        Loading my chair is no problem.
        But my shoulders and elbows are tired of lifting 200lbs with every transfer!
        Anti-grav belt. It's the only answer. Send $1000 to my kickstarter page and you will be among the first to receive one of these amazing devices. Currently under development we already have a working prototype. Just waiting for the tool line to be set up. Patents pending. Without our suppliers in Estonia we would never be able to offer this price!

Comment

I would say it's more overuse leading to muscle fatigue leading to poor form lifting your chair during a transfer than necessarily that specific movement causing a jacked up shoulder. Hope you heal fast.

Comment

Ever consider a more accessible vehicle?you can find good used ones that are already modified,a mini van,Toyota?s or grand caravans have lowered floors. Check out disableddealer.com
            good luck

Comment

I can't imagine my relatively light Ti chair being cause in the matter!

More likely the 200 pounds of well done pot roast that's in it!
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                I can't imagine my relatively light Ti chair being cause in the matter!

More likely the 200 pounds of well done pot roast that's in it!
                Well, Sir Pot Roast, at 95 lbs my situation is quite different. And a sorry meal it would be if our local cannibals had no choices other than me.

Comment

Originally posted by dpatrick View Post
                  Ever consider a more accessible vehicle?you can find good used ones that are already modified,a mini van,Toyota?s or grand caravans have lowered floors. Check out disableddealer.com
                  good luck
                  This is probably what I need to do, but at the moment it's not an option. There's no place I could deploy a ramp or lift at my current apartment... or at least it would be a heck of a lot of trouble and end up with me parking 1/2 mile away on a fairly regular basis, and I work at four different locations, two of which would be very difficult to park a van at. Plus I still owe money on my car, so it's not like I could just sell it and put the money toward a van.

I'll probably try to plan my life around the eventuality of having a van someday as I move forward, but I really think the soreness I'm having at times is specifically from loading the chair, not transfering myself (it's pretty much a level transfer, and the easiest transfer I do all day, plus when I was out of the country and discovered the lack of this problem I was doing all kinds of crazy transfers up and down curbs into SUVs and tiny low slung taxis and a weird 270 degree rotating transfer onto a narrow shower bench... my shoulders felt great the whole time I was doing all that). I saw this thing one time where a robotic arm came out of the trunk (or maybe it was some weird roof rack thing) and picked up the chair and stowed it on it's own. That would be an ideal solution for me. I also saw a guy with a robotic crane arm in the back of his pickup to get the chair in and out, which seems pretty good, except I wouldn't want to do a high transfer like that into a pickup.

Comment

maybe using a slide board would help
                    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Working...
                    X