Anyone driving Pacifica conversion from chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
    Patrick, have you rolled into a 10" drop van? Remember the ramp angle is going to be considerably worse, a couple degrees makes a big difference.

But if you're finally getting what you wanted in the first case, congrats on pushing thru the BS to get it.
    Shouldn't be much worse than my old VMI in floor ramp McDuff. Plus I'm using a ZX1 mor and more now. I felt boxed in sitting in the back transferring to the seat. and transferring back into the chair was kind of daunting due to the lack of light in the all black interior. Reaching for anything in my chair meant I had to lower the drivers seat the four inches just to reach my wallet or whatever . I have little doubt the dealer would not have done a thing if Braun hadn't stepped up as far as the National Level to get action. I'm sure the dealer is not pleased at all by the actions Braun took.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I got a chance to sit in a VMI conversion of the Pacifica briefly. Lot's more headroom and turning room then Odyssey. This van was a year old and they are having big problems with VMI conversion. There was a significant wiring problem that the dealer was being a total ass about. I will stick with the Rollx conversion. Have had great success with them and my experience after 3 Rollx's is their service is superior to Braun & VMI's.

Comment

Originally posted by landrover View Post
        I have the Braun fold-out version of the Pacifica. I do not drive, but sit in the front passenger spot. I use a Permobil F3, and am 6'4, so I sit very high. My previous van was a Braun Sienna. I can say that the Pacifica has more headroom. That is the primary reason I switched.

If I had one negative, it is that I don't like how the body sits so high off of the tires. I understand it's likely for ground clearance. My Sienna scraped on everything, this one rarely does.

One of my concerns is I use a ZX1 power assist and if there would be enough room to swing the drivers seat around and still have enough space to position the chair and power assist into place for transferring. On the 14" here I can do it so shouldn't be a problem with the 10". The difference between the two; a 14" drop has the step next to the front door while the 10" doesn't. It didn't hit home I had a 14" til I got home. One of the reasons I went with the S package was for the 18" wheel and better leather. Not sure if it raises the van but looks cleaner, imo, with less wheel space. He only had the Touring Plus with S package which means the dealer is getting the cloth seats reupholstered in leather (extra cost of course). I sure hope he doesn't try to screw me somewhere like cheaper leather or something. The new 10" is Pearl Red while the one I'm taking back is Granite.

My 2000 VMI Chrysler has around a 2.5" clearance so scraped like yours LR. It's so low I can't use the local Jiffylube as the clearance is too low for their saftey guard. I used to be able to do it no problem, not any more. It'll be nice having more clearance and less scraping.

Is Kersey Nationwide? We have two here, One in Sumner and Everett. Same Owners. Was told Kersey just bought out Braun too. So looks like a person can go there and compare Braun and VMI. I know one of the owners local; bought his demo van when he was regional sales rep. I didn't go to him because I wanted a fold out and VMI has or is discontinuing their foldouts.

I hear you Milt. The attitudes of many dealers is really disappointing and shockingly bad. My bad experience could have been easily avoided had they ordered what was on the invoices and billing to my insurance. Had I seen XT, I would have contacted them immediately for correction. It may have been why Braun stepped in with a cash incentive to the dealer and my also contributing a fair amount to settle this. It will be a 2019 with 5 miles. 14" is a 2018, bought in March with 215 miles on it. Has close to 700 now with all of it driving distances to the dealer and back. Tears me up; if I had only asked" this is the 10" drop right" would have changed everything. I relied on their inaccurate billing as it being the correct one. So a BIG lesson to all reading this, Don't RELY on the invoice and billing; Check to ensure the model stated is actually the model on the order they send to the Company.
        Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 29 Jun 2019, 5:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
          A deal is tentatively worked out for trading the 14" drop floor Touring S with a 2019 Touring Plus with S package 10" drop floor. Was a lot of frustration but Braun stepped in and assisted in the deal. Was not a fun experience and don't want to get into.

The conversion dealer took mine in as the engine light was on when they got it. Their Chrysler dealer said it was a Cooler Dam actuator. When I took it into my Braun dealer, they looked it up and was something to do with remote wiring harness or something like that. The harness has been ordered. If the conversion dealer wishes me to take it in for the recall I have offered to wait until it's completed before driving down to their shop and have them strip the stuff they installed and reinstall into the new 10" drop. The recall process is pretty straight forward and just a matter of taking it in to your Chrysler dealer for recall. I bought mine off the local Chrysler dealership, they delivered it to the conversion dealer who shipped to Braun so it was my responsibility for the recall. I trust if I bought the van from the dealer he would have taken it in for the recall.

The 100 or so miles I drove it was really nice. So many doo dads and apps I'm sure I'll never use. Not much difference between the Touring L and Plus. L has leather, roof racks, mud guards. Not sure what else. The S package is the same as the L. We worked out a deal where the dealer will have the cloth seats reupholstered in leather. I drove on a road that is normally like a rattletrap in my old van. With the Pacifica, it was quiet with no noise at all. Almost surreal. Getting used to the gearknob placement didn't take long and is really easy to use. The electronic emergency brake is nifty for those of us who can't use a reg. style.

A BIG suggestion for anyone looking at conversions. Make sure you stipulate whether you want a 10" drop or 14" drop. Make sure to use those words. The dealer sent my insurance and myself invoices that said Braun Fold out Ramp, which is the 10" drop. When I got the van it was a 14 and didn't really pick up on it until it was home. The Braun foldout XT is the 14" drop. The owner said he always orders the 14" drop, never sold a 10" drop floor though the `10" I bought was on his lot. So no admitting there was a mistake, apology and offer to make it right. . If they had written Braun XT, I would have notified them right away for a correction. Water under the bridge now. But really, really investigate the equipment and ensure the type of floor drop you want. This mistake cost Braun and myself big bucks to make it right though it wasn't my fault. To me, it was worth it to get this ordeal over with. Nothing worse than having an 83G new van sitting under the carport and not willing to drive it.

VMI was recently bought out by a Capitalist investment group and I think they bought Braun also. The vehicle I have had for 20 years is a 2000 Chrysler Limited with VMI infloor. The sliding door got a little finicky but was satisfied with VMI's conversion package. Good Luck Hackensack, I think you'll like the Pacifica with VMI.
          Wow! What a pain in the butt. Thanks for the info on the recall process. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm waiting to hear from my insurance company on when we can get the ball rolling. Are the floor drops heights your talking about for the Braun conversions only?
          Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 30 Jun 2019, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by landrover View Post
            That van is sharp. Love the color combination.
            Thanks! That is what I am hoping for. We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
              Wow! What a pain in the butt. Thanks for the info on the recall process. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm waiting to hear from my insurance company on when we can get the ball rolling. Are the floor drops heights your talking about for the Braun conversions only?
              No, all the different conversion companies offer a 14" or close to as well as a 10". I think Honda is going to lower floor only or was told that by a different dealer. Who knows, that's why we have to be really specific on what we're ordering and get it in writing exact type and esp. floor drop height. I ordered Braun Fold out ramp. If done right it should have said Braun Fold out ramp 10" drop or Braun fold out ramp XT 14" drop. The guy is blaming me for the mistake when in fact whomever put the XT in the order is to blame. I think it was him personally. Some of these guys are worse than used car salesman. I wish I could have bought from Alliance in Vancouver BC. Craig is one of the best dealers I've worked with. Totally honest and answered any question on this order I had though it wasn't his and knew I wasn't buying from him. I couldn't because of import restrictions on new vehicles.

That's a great looking van Hack. My new one is the same color red. I like that your cup holders are still in front. On a Braun, they have a couple bolts the cup holder slides into on the side of the seat. Not ideal but no complaints. I still am shaking my head over this. I end up with a slightly lesser equipped vehicle losing 3800 on the window sticker price and having to cough up thousands more with Braun also contributing thousands more for their mistake. And the guy is pissed at me; go figure lol.
              Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 30 Jun 2019, 12:54 AM.

Comment

No, all the different conversion companies offer a 14" or close to as well as a 10". I think Honda is going to lower floor only or was told that by a different dealer. Who knows, that's why we have to be really specific on what we're ordering and get it in writing exact type and esp. floor drop height. I ordered Braun Fold out ramp. If done right it should have said Braun Fold out ramp 10" drop or Braun fold out ramp XT 14" drop. The guy is blaming me for the mistake when in fact whomever put the XT in the order is to blame. I think it was him personally. Some of these guys are worse than used car salesman. I wish I could have bought from Alliance in Vancouver BC. Craig is one of the best dealers I've worked with. Totally honest and answered any question on this order I had though it wasn't his and knew I wasn't buying from him. I couldn't because of import restrictions on new vehicles.

That's a great looking van Hack. My new one is the same color red. I like that your cup holders are still in front. On a Braun, they have a couple bolts the cup holder slides into on the side of the seat. Not ideal but no complaints. I still am shaking my head over this. I end up with a slightly lesser equipped vehicle losing 3800 on the window sticker price and having to cough up thousands more with Braun also contributing thousands more for their mistake. And the guy is pissed at me; go figure lol.
                I'm not sure if the Braun we test drove was a 10in or 14in drop. If it was 10 I will definitely want to test drive the 14. Braun had a smoother ride than the VMI. Something doesn't add up with your situation.

Comment

The 14" drop has a step built into the moulding next to the front doors. The 10" drop doesn't. The 14" are nice, especially for power chairs, just not to my liking. Didn't like all the extra steps it took to transfer into the drivers seat and in position to drive. Couldn't reach anything from the drivers seat if I dropped it on the floor without lowering the seat and reaching for my wallet in my chair required the same lowering of the seat. I use the top of the back on the passenger seat to transfer to the drivers seat. With the floor being 4" lower that move was impossible because of the back being 4" higher. I hear some paras like the lower floor, I felt like I was sitting in a pit. The angle may be a bit steeper in a 10" but am using a ZX1 now and shouldn't be much steeper than my old VMI with a 9" drop.

What wasn't right was the dealer sent my insurance and myself invoices and billing with the correct model of Braun I wanted. When he sent the order in to Braun, he added XT to the model making it a 14" drop. He said they always order an XT and never sold a 10" floor drop. Something I find hard to believe. If he's never sold one, why have one on the lot.

I was lucky Braun stepped in and also contributed 5 grand towards the tradein with my adding another 5G's. 2G of it is for leather upholstery not offered with the Touring Plus. I always go for leather to help with the transfers and lasts longer. Braun must have known I had a valid case by doing what they did. I'm sure they won't forget this mixup had cost them 5 G's and my needing to kick in the cash I did while losing the van I bought specifically for this build. It all goes full circle. He used to be the only Braun dealer in the area. Kersey bought VMI and Braun. They have two locations in our area now offering both conversions. So the only place to buy a Braun conversion has now turned to three. This requirement of only being able, so I was told, buy in the area we live is nonsense. I don't want to disparage the dealer too much as this is a public forum. What gripes me the most is the lack of respect, honesty and willingness to make it right. It sure paid off inquiring with the various Company reps, Braun, VMI, Rollx and being assigned a rep. from each company. If I had just gone thru the dealer for info, I doubt the outcome would have been the same.

Comment

One of the reasons I went with the S package was for the 18" wheel and better leather. Not sure if it raises the van but looks cleaner, imo, with less wheel space.

Is this accurate regarding filling in the wheel space? As I mentioned in one of my posts, that it one of my dislikes with my Braun Pacifica, the big gap in the wheel wells. I just assumed a larger wheel/tire would just make the van higher, and not necessarily fill the gap? Also, is it accurate that a larger tire also gives a bumpier ride? With the heavy duty suspension, I already find the ride a bit bouncy.

I wonder if my local Chrylser dealer would allow me to demo the larger wheels/tires.

Comment

The 14" drop has a step built into the moulding next to the front doors. The 10" drop doesn't. The 14" are nice, especially for power chairs, just not to my liking.
                      Ok, the two we test drove had the step by the front doors. I'm still leaning towards the VMI conversion. Braun can't beat their ground clearance. Does the Braun come with a backup system if the battery dies like VMI? My insurance company buys a van that has already been modified and is ready to drive. Hopefully I will hear something in the next few weeks.

Comment

I have a 2018 Pacifica LS Touring Plus with a VMI conversion. After 35 years in a manual chair my shoulders are shot so I am driving the van from my first electric chair. First, I love the safety features. The backup camera, forward camera and overhead view allow me to put the van an inch or two away from obstacles. My favorite is the the blind spot warning, it is hard to turn well enough to see from the power chair but all i have to do is glance to confirm it is clear instead of craning my neck and moving my head around to view the area from the mirror.

Second, the reason we decided on the VMI Pacifica is the switchable front seats. We have the driver's seat in storage so I can drive. The passenger seat can easily be moved to the driver's side so my wife can drive while I ride. This is great for long trips or could be useful in the event of emergencies, her car being disabled and so forth. When I was shopping a year ago VMI was the only one who had this and only on the Pacifica.

What has given me the most trouble is the batteries. There are three, the main vehicle battery, a motorcycle type battery that is the backup for the ramp and a motorcycle battery that is an OEM auxilary battery from Chrysler. This is to power the systems (bells and whistles) when the engine is off to preserve the power in the main battery. My short trips to work were not getting all the batteries up to full charge in cold weather. So the VMI systems starting getting wonky and I got a few weird idiot lights. Eventually the the VMI circuit breaker popped due to low voltage. The solution was an on board battery tender, I have the plug sticking out of the grill and plug the van in at night in the garage. That fixed all the issues.

If I did it again, I would go the same route. My 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Beagle View Post
                          I have a 2018 Pacifica LS Touring Plus with a VMI conversion. After 35 years in a manual chair my shoulders are shot so I am driving the van from my first electric chair. First, I love the safety features. The backup camera, forward camera and overhead view allow me to put the van an inch or two away from obstacles. My favorite is the the blind spot warning, it is hard to turn well enough to see from the power chair but all i have to do is glance to confirm it is clear instead of craning my neck and moving my head around to view the area from the mirror.

Second, the reason we decided on the VMI Pacifica is the switchable front seats. We have the driver's seat in storage so I can drive. The passenger seat can easily be moved to the driver's side so my wife can drive while I ride. This is great for long trips or could be useful in the event of emergencies, her car being disabled and so forth. When I was shopping a year ago VMI was the only one who had this and only on the Pacifica.

What has given me the most trouble is the batteries. There are three, the main vehicle battery, a motorcycle type battery that is the backup for the ramp and a motorcycle battery that is an OEM auxilary battery from Chrysler. This is to power the systems (bells and whistles) when the engine is off to preserve the power in the main battery. My short trips to work were not getting all the batteries up to full charge in cold weather. So the VMI systems starting getting wonky and I got a few weird idiot lights. Eventually the the VMI circuit breaker popped due to low voltage. The solution was an on board battery tender, I have the plug sticking out of the grill and plug the van in at night in the garage. That fixed all the issues.

If I did it again, I would go the same route. My 2 cents
                          Thanks for your 2 cents! That is interesting about the batteries. Of course here in Florida we don't have to worry about the cold weather. We went on a trip this past week and accidentally ran the main battery dead. Luckily for us we were able to use the backup battery for the ramp. Our VMI Sienna is 5 years old and the backup battery has never been replaced. It makes us feel good knowing we have this backup feature. Did you have any recalls on your Pacifica?
                          Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 30 Jun 2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

how wide are those things with the ramp folded out
                            to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Finally got in to check a ROLLX Pacifica. Really nice. I have always been at a slight angle when driving my Caravans and Odyssey because not enough room. Makes for taxing driving on trips. I can pull straight in and head room is great. Steering wheel extension really helps avoiding pinning my feet against firewall as with my other vans. Definitely going this route as it is cheaper and I have had such a great experience with ROLLX for the last 15 years. Rides better and better sound proof than my Odyssey ever did. Looked at VMI but I swear they modified the suspension with their conversion. Rollx uses manufacturer suspension. Steering requires less effort than Honda. Love the safety tech features. They have worked out some minor annoyances I have experienced with the other Rollx's I have owned.

ROLLX IF YOU ARE LISTENING PLEASE FIX YOUR SEAT BASE SYSTEM. MOVING THE SEATS IS A FREAKING NIGHTMARE. I CANT IMAGINE IT WOULD REQUIRE MUCH WORK. VMI HAS A BETTER SYSTEM.

Comment

Working...
                              X