Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Fit vts Surge handrims

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Natural Fit vts Surge handrims

    Do you find that the surge strip is really worth it? Anyone prefer the Natural Fit over the Surge handrim?

  • #2
    I have a couple of pair of regular pair of Natural Fits and one pair of Surge LT's that I bought new with my Magic Wheels. On all I do not use and have removed the concave thumbstrip. Natural Fits are too wide for me to grip properly. While Surge LT's feel good. However because of the advantage of the magic wheels I never really needed the Surge rubber insert for climbing or slowing on hills.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have had both, and the rubber strip is by far worth it for me. However, on my next chair I may go with the hand rims titanium4motion posted about recently (Carbolife Gekko) that look just like the surge ones but the strip is replaceable. I was wondering just the other day why most people I've seen that have been in wheelchairs for a really long time still use aluminum handrims. Maybe I'm missing something, but I will always have a rubber strip in mine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just a thought but I really like Spinergy Flexrims. Great grip on the soft material.

        Comment


        • #5
          Gekko handrims.

          Does anyone own Gekko handrims? They are available is the US. They are like Out-Front Surge LT hand rims but the rubber is replaceable.

          Any pros or cons?

          Web site: https://carbolife.de/en/products/han...im-gekko?c=106

          See attached picture.

          Ti
          Attached Files
          "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

          Comment


          • #6
            Out Front Surge Hand rims - Buyer beware!

            I have a set of Out Front Surge LT hand rims on my TiLite ZRA. They are 4.5 years old and yesterday the rubber insert pulled off. I telephoned Out Front and talked with a customer service representative and he indicated that this does happen after about 3 to 5 years old. I asked him for a replacement set of inserts and he told me they don't give them out or sell them because the rubber inserts are thermically glued on the hand rim.

            The rubber strip is concave on top and V shaped on the bottom. I am not sure if the V shaped bottom was for more surface area to be covered with adhesive to make a stronger bond? I don't know?

            He said to fix it there are two types of glues that they recommend for securing the grip strip are below:

            (Super glues)

            1) Cemedine Super-X No. 8008 glue

            2) Vittoria Mastik One Professional

            Since my rubber strip stretched I had to cut the strip in half and cut about 1/8" off one end so the rubber strip laid flat on the rim. You have to clean off the old adhesive first before you put the new super glue on. Luckily I had a small plastic bottle of super glue in my desk drawer that worked. I put a piece of tape over the joint to hold it in place for time being. So far everything is working out well. Time will tell.

            My old 'chair had a pair of Dual Grip Hand Rims which had the same problem of the rubber insert pealing off but you were able to purchase replacement strips. Dual Grip Hand Rims were round though with a rectangular groove in them to fit the rubber strip. The rubber strip was rectangular in shape. This was a constant problem with Dual Grip Hand Rims and they end up going out of business.

            See attached photo.

            Ti
            Attached Files
            "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
              Out Front ... indicated that [the strip falls off when it is] about 3 to 5 years old. I asked him for a replacement set of inserts and he told me they don't give them out or sell them because the rubber inserts are thermically glued on the hand rim.
              Remember our conversation about the length of free strip being greater than the length of free rim? I suggested that the strip was larger than the rim. You suggested that we are stretching it as it falls off. What you said made sense. But then I noticed that the loose strip grows over time. First day the free strip length and free rim lengths are the same. Second day the free strip is longer. Third day it is even longer. It is growing! This is consistent with the fact that it is thermally glued. It is also the explanation as to why it is expected to loosen over time. Because they are literally stretching the strip with heat as they attach it. I bet if you pulled the whole thing off, it would be several inches longer than the rim. This is built-in obsolescence. Maybe it's not intentional. But it's poor manufacturing practice for reliability.

              Comment


              • #8
                Poor design.

                Originally posted by August West View Post
                Remember our conversation about the length of free strip being greater than the length of free rim? I suggested that the strip was larger than the rim. You suggested that we are stretching it as it falls off. What you said made sense. But then I noticed that the loose strip grows over time. First day the free strip length and free rim lengths are the same. Second day the free strip is longer. Third day it is even longer. It is growing! This is consistent with the fact that it is thermally glued. It is also the explanation as to why it is expected to loosen over time. Because they are literally stretching the strip with heat as they attach it. I bet if you pulled the whole thing off, it would be several inches longer than the rim. This is built-in obsolescence. Maybe it's not intentional. But it's poor manufacturing practice for reliability.
                It doesn't grow it stretches.

                This is a very poor design. With today's adhesive's they could have used one of them. They are extremely strong. Windshields on almost all vehicles today are glued to the frame. Have you ever read a story about a windshield coming off a vehicle while driving?

                There's going to be wave of people who their rubber stripe are going to peal off. They have been on the marker for about 5 years now and the problem is going to grow. I am not the first one to experience this.

                For a medical device and $350 for a pair and another $100 to install call the FDA and complain to them. We should not pay $350 for another set of hand rims just to replace $20 rubber inserts.

                Ti
                "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                  It doesn't grow it stretches.
                  I understand. Poor choice of words. Of course, it's not growing because it's not alive.

                  Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                  For a medical device and $350 for a pair and another $100 to install call the FDA and complain to them. We should not pay $350 for another set of hand rims just to replace $20 rubber inserts.
                  I agree.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I thought I'd just glue it back down and be done with it. But it's not that simple. Once it started lifting in one place, it continued to lift in other places every few days.

                    I had it with babysitting this strip. I tore it off. I have the thumbpiece which compensates for the missing strip.

                    Don't miss it. But if I do, I'm thinking of painting something on as a replacement. Maybe something like plasti dip.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I tried plastic dip and it was not a lasting option.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Looks good but Surge LT hand rims are a poor design.

                        Originally posted by August West View Post
                        I thought I'd just glue it back down and be done with it. But it's not that simple. Once it started lifting in one place, it continued to lift in other places every few days.

                        I had it with babysitting this strip. I tore it off. I have the thumbpiece which compensates for the missing strip.

                        Don't miss it. But if I do, I'm thinking of painting something on as a replacement. Maybe something like plasti dip.
                        That's the same problem I am having. Couple weeks later another section comes off and I have to super-glue back down. I am hope these will last until my next ZRA arrives shortly.

                        Ti
                        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm a para and use natural fit rims. I always push with leather batters gloves and don't see any need to add rubber to the equation, especially now that I have a SmartDrive to get me up steep hills.
                          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                          T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Natural Fit Surge pushrims

                            Has anyone worn out the Naturql fit Surge pushrims? The rubber on mine is almost gone and torn in one place. Is the rubber replaceable? Or, do you have to get all new rims?
                            Push me to the limit,
                            maybe I may bend,
                            but I will not be broken.
                            -Bonnie Raitt

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Agree

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X