No announcement yet.

access ideas for recessed lanai slider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building up the existing deck to finished floor level is the way to go, and pretty easily done.

Comment

Once the patio floor is built up to the level of the slider door, you will have to solve how to get out into the garden off of the patio floor through the screen door.

Comment

I have raised the patio on several houses. Each time I got quotes on pavers and quotes on concrete. Concrete was always much cheaper. You can tile it later if you allow for the tile thickness.
        "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
          I have raised the patio on several houses. Each time I got quotes on pavers and quotes on concrete. Concrete was always much cheaper. You can tile it later if you allow for the tile thickness.
          good to know............i was concerned about it being a smallish job for concrete contractor.........will get quote both ways
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
            this is a ramp i found online that i sectioned and screwed down on the sliding door.
            It was cheap like $30

all other outside doors (4) are paired french doors. The slider is more convenient so it's in the easiest entry spot.
            The company sells a bunch of these ramps which slide (laterally) into the next higher part so they can be pretty high) they are great for our purposes i'd say.
            I think i'll do this to the french doors in the breezeway. (which is where we keep our woodpile; it's a little difficult to pull the little red wagon over when it's loaded to spill!!)
            cute pup

Comment

Once the floor is raised, you can build up the sod side of the screen door with dirt. It's only 2 inches which can be spread out making it hardly noticeable. That Florida St Augustine grass will fill in unbelievably fast.
              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                ..........Went with French doors. Wasn't initially a fan of French doors either. Because you have to be in the doorway to reach the handle but you can't close the door when you're in the doorway. There are a couple options to get around that problem. Install a door handle near the hinge side of the door. Install a cord around the door handle.
                All problems solved. No ramp. No Track. Easy to close. Now I am a fan of French doors.
                Ranch sliders only give you half the access and for that reason I have always preferred French doors and windows. Ours gives full access when only one door is opened and in the Summer with both opened and secured it is just great. I fitted hook latches to secure them open. Releasing them from inside is not a problem for me as I have a length of trellis batten that can slip through the gap and lift the hook free. To bring the door closed I use a telescoping boat hook with plastic head. Reach along the door, hook on the ball handle and pull or lever back on the door. Good fulcrum, no problems.
                I have hand and arm use so my remedy may not suit others.
                The boat hook came by way of my deceased BIL. I was going to toss it, after all when would I have use of such an item??
                How wrong could that be as it has served me well ever since. It fulfills plenty of other uses too, like when I transfer to my outside chair and have left something on the servery/table. Simply extend it to the required length and reach out.
                Prodding the wife to get her attention???

Similar item on Amazon- Star brite Boat Hook -Telescoping, Floating & Unbreakable- Extends from 4' to 8'

Images corrected for you J.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by slow_runner; 18 Jun 2019, 2:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X