Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They finally delivered my new wheelchair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • They finally delivered my new wheelchair

    After 2+ years, they finally delivered my wheelchair. Everything seems fine except one thing. They painted the titanium black. It looks pretty cool. But that paint is never going to hold up. Last time I had a painted chair must have been over 20 years ago. Part of me wants to keep it. But the other part of me knows better.

  • #2
    ummm... Let's see it.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

    Comment


    • #3
      The DME took it back. They gave me the weekend to think about keeping it or sending it back to TiLite to exchange for a titanium finish.

      Does anyone have a painted chair that looks good anymore? I mean if someone could convince me that it can be done, then maybe I'll keep it. Because it does look good. But I doubt the paint will look good for long. If I keep it, it would have to be well maintained. Can't have a new chair looking old. Maybe I'll get a paint kit and start a new hobby. LOL.
      Last edited by August West; 06-07-2019, 04:29 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Time for another consult with your DME. Was the chair order correct? If it went in ordering Black then you are dependent on the DME to correct this, which, given how things went, could delay your having a chair quite a while. If Tilite made the error- pfft! They will correct it quickly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ironically, when going through the order form, the question of the finish came up and I said, "who would paint a titanium chair?" We both laughed and then discussed if the finish should be polished or satin. But somehow the order form says black finish. I did select black for the trim anodization color. Maybe that is the mixup.

          Comment


          • #6
            Unless you get guards to put on the front of your chair the paint will not last long. I recommend going back and getting titanium as you want your chair looking nice and that is what you selected. The DME wants you to keep it so they don’t have to eat the cost of the new frame for the mistake as it is on them and not tilite. However , that is on them and they will just have to accept the cost and use it as a demo. This is what you are going to sit in for at least 5 years.

            Comment


            • #7
              August,
              I am in the process of ordering a new chair paid through Medicare. I am very grateful for being able to read experiences like yours. I already knew to double check my order before it goes in and your post only strengthens my vigilance. My DME promised several things with that "oh, it's so easy" voice and I will make sure those things are written down in a contract before they get a nickel.

              it sounds like your DME was too inexperienced to know to check the box for "brushed satin" titanium. Lots of people paint titanium chairs. It would not be my choice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Vigilance only goes so far. There are some things that you have to trust. For example, we agreed on a TR3 so why did the order form say Aero T? He said something about TR3 orders have to be processed as an Aero T. I recall the same thing happening 5 years ago with the order for the TR3 I am in right now. In fact, this TR3 says AERO T right on it. If that's the way they have to process the order, then that's fine with me as long as I get a TR3. Last time I did get a TR3. This time they sent an AERO T. So what do you do? How vigilent can you possibly be?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Send it back, no matter how careful you are someone else will scratch it, taxi drivers, airport staff, a friend loading loading it in the car .... and the scratches will stand out as the primer is no doubt white and the metal will show through.
                  Dots, lines and aeroplanes. my flying adventures.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    TiLite only has one order form for their "T" line of chairs. The base chair is the Aero T, aluminum tube, fully adjustable model. Order form option TAFS1 upgrades this frame to a TRA, titanium tube, fully adjustable model. Adding option TRFS1 to that will change the frame to a TR (v.3), titanium tube, minimal adjustsbility. Two things are most likely IMO: DME meant that all T chairs start as Aero T on order form, but get upgrades via options to a TR, or, they meant it had to be submitted as an Aero T because...drum roll please...the Jan 2018 unbundling rules came out during the middle of your process (since its been years) changing their ability to select the TR titanium option.


                    Originally posted by August West View Post
                    Vigilance only goes so far. There are some things that you have to trust. For example, we agreed on a TR3 so why did the order form say Aero T? He said something about TR3 orders have to be processed as an Aero T. I recall the same thing happening 5 years ago with the order for the TR3 I am in right now. In fact, this TR3 says AERO T right on it. If that's the way they have to process the order, then that's fine with me as long as I get a TR3. Last time I did get a TR3. This time they sent an AERO T. So what do you do? How vigilent can you possibly be?
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by August West View Post
                      After 2+ years, they finally delivered my wheelchair. Everything seems fine except one thing. They painted the titanium black. It looks pretty cool. But that paint is never going to hold up. Last time I had a painted chair must have been over 20 years ago. Part of me wants to keep it. But the other part of me knows better.
                      2+ years?!?! I'm almost curious to know how it's even possible for an order to take that long to process, but the answer will probably only upset me. For TiLite's part, the build time is only about 10 business days. I go through the TiLite order form line-by-line with my customers and they receive a copy of the order form as we're tweaking things and certainly before it's submitted for fabrication. It seems like most DMEs don't want to "show their work"; they frequently don't pass along the CAD drawings (which astounds me as it protects all 3 parties: customer, DME, and TiLite); and customers are frequently "under-involving" themselves in what in my opinion can only be a collaborative process.
                      stephen@bike-on.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                        2+ years?!?! I'm almost curious to know how it's even possible for an order to take that long to process, but the answer will probably only upset me. For TiLite's part, the build time is only about 10 business days. I go through the TiLite order form line-by-line with my customers and they receive a copy of the order form as we're tweaking things and certainly before it's submitted for fabrication. It seems like most DMEs don't want to "show their work"; they frequently don't pass along the CAD drawings (which astounds me as it protects all 3 parties: customer, DME, and TiLite); and customers are frequently "under-involving" themselves in what in my opinion can only be a collaborative process.
                        Truth! After a 3 week wait on any response from my DME I called to speak to the clerk who handles much of it. She said they were ready to submit the order, which, given other information, could have been done 2 weeks ago. Whoa! I asked for a copy and explained I will go over it line by line this weekend. It is much more obtuse than the order form on Spinlife or Sportaide. Sigh. Measurements were not included in what she sent.

                        Simply monitoring the process is going to require I be full brain-functional. Be gone, TBI! Per your comments, Stephen, I will ask to see the CAD drawings. I would almost prefer to do business with you, since I am in the Coachella Valley, but driving across the valley is 1000% easier than driving into LA. Where is your office, Stephen? I tried to send a PM but your mailbox is full.
                        Last edited by Tetracyclone; 06-08-2019, 01:37 PM. Reason: more info

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
                          Truth! After a 3 week wait on any response from my DME I called to speak to the clerk who handles much of it. She said they were ready to submit the order, which, given other information, could have been done 2 weeks ago. Whoa! I asked for a copy and explained I will go over it line by line this weekend. It is much more obtuse than the order form on Spinlife or Sportaide. Sigh. Measurements were not included in what she sent.

                          Simply monitoring the process is going to require I be full brain-functional. Be gone, TBI! Per your comments, Stephen, I will ask to see the CAD drawings. I would almost prefer to do business with you, since I am in the Coachella Valley, but driving across the valley is 1000% easier than driving into LA. Where is your office, Stephen? I tried to send a PM but your mailbox is full.
                          My "office" is in my bedroom in Los Angeles. Bike-On's sales reps are distributed throughout the solar system.
                          The mailbox on CC is pain -- it has very limited storage and cleaning out old messages is not my idea of fun or anywhere near the top of my to-do list. The preferred way to reach me is to email me: stephen@bike-on.com

                          Just so you know, Bike-On does not accept insurance or Medicare.
                          stephen@bike-on.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                            Two things are most likely IMO: DME meant that all T chairs start as Aero T on order form, but get upgrades via options to a TR, or, they meant it had to be submitted as an Aero T because...drum roll please...the Jan 2018 unbundling rules came out during the middle of your process (since its been years) changing their ability to select the TR titanium option.
                            The first thing is what they said - start as AeroT and upgrade. The last DME who ordered the chair I am in right now also said the same thing. As expected, I got a TR3. So there was no need for concern about the ordering process. If they wanted to deliver an adjustable chair, they should have said so. But all along the discussion was about a TR3 but they delivered an AeroT. I don't mind an adjustable chair if the weight is the same or less as a non-adjustable chair. But I don't see how that is possible. In any case, they should still say something. Worst part of the whole thing is that the objective of this new chair was to reduce weight and dimension, both for my shoulders. Hence, I can't see how they could justify giving me a heavier chair. Defeats the purpose.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Absolutely. You're receiving incredibly poor service. I can't even get into the headspace of some of the DME jackasses we've read about on this board. It literally boggles the mind. I mostly think it comes down to them misunderstanding how important the "little things" are to us.

                              E.g. When I went for the ZR, couldn't get it, knew that ahead of time though, and the DME came back with, "We can do the same chair just in aluminum." What he MEANT to say, was, "We can do a completely different model chair, that looks similar, from the same company, but none of the 3 most important options you wanted will be available on the new model."

                              They didn't seem understand that's not "the same chair in aluminum", nor what those seemingly simple options meant to me and my daily chair pushing/lifting experience. It's literally their job to understand this stuff, and know the differences. I suspect they DO know and understand but assume we DONT. (I'd bet a lot of their mobility business doesn't consist in folks like us: savvy, smart, and knowledgeable about our needs and available options.)








                              Originally posted by August West View Post
                              The first thing is what they said - start as AeroT and upgrade. The last DME who ordered the chair I am in right now also said the same thing. As expected, I got a TR3. So there was no need for concern about the ordering process. If they wanted to deliver an adjustable chair, they should have said so. But all along the discussion was about a TR3 but they delivered an AeroT. I don't mind an adjustable chair if the weight is the same or less as a non-adjustable chair. But I don't see how that is possible. In any case, they should still say something. Worst part of the whole thing is that the objective of this new chair was to reduce weight and dimension, both for my shoulders. Hence, I can't see how they could justify giving me a heavier chair. Defeats the purpose.
                              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                              "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X