Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of glue do you use for the Surge strip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by August West View Post
    How could I stretch it?
    That is a rubber insert. When you pressed on it and pulled it off the the rim you stretched it. That rubber insert is like a large rubber band glued to the rim. You can stretch a regular rubber band out of true size just like the insert.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

I lifted the strip up so that I could clean the strip and rim with some rubbing alcohol before applying the glue. When I did this, there was almost no resistance. It just peeled off easily. The force required to stretch the strip 1/2" would be far greater. In other words, I would have pulled the strip off the rim before I could stretch it that much.

Comment

Whatever the cause, it's clear that you have to cut out some of the strip so that it can lay flat before you glue it down.

Comment

And my hunch is that it's best to make the splice 45* diagonal.
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

That was an afterthought. Oh well.

Comment

Lacquer thinner

I use lacquer thinner to clean the rim. It removes any glue left. Clean back side of rubber insert. Use a Q-tip to clean it. Let dry, fit, cut and super glue it back in place.

As you will notice the rubber insert is worn and thin at the edges.

The sections I super glued have not come off.

Hope this helps. Never thought of the 45 degree cut. I'll try it the next time.

There is going to be a massive wave of 'chair users with their inserts pealing off and Out-Front won't do anything to help the consumer. As consumers we can make a FDA complaint.

Ti.
              "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

I also hunch it would serve you to put a little tire-patch cement on the two faces of your cut. Patching glue partially dissolves the surfaces and allows a certain amount of bonding of the two rubber faces.
                69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                  The arcing is you stretched the rubber insert.
                  Now that I think of it some more, I can see a scenario where this would happen. When I dress, I lift myself up with one arm and shift all my weight over that side. When I do this, my hand is rolling over the edge of the strip with all my upper body weight. At that instant, one small piece shears loose and stretches about 1/2". As it is stretching, it pulls off a few more inches on both sides. Hence, you end up with a loose strip that is about 1/2" longer than it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X