No announcement yet.

Hand Controls Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mount my hand controls brackets at a 45 degree angle on one upper corner of the pedal. That leaves most of the pedal free for foot control. If that doesn't do it for you and you want an extension for the brake only, then here's a kit. All else you need is a handle/rod and a strap to hold it in place, which you (or your son) can rig with an afternoon at Home Depot.

If you don't want to bother. You can ask your local mechanic to refer you to a metal fabricator. It will cost you a few hundred dollars. Still much cheaper than the alternatives.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WJHZS1..._t2_B00JPBBED2
    Attached Files
    Last edited by August West; 04-22-2019, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I have seen a lot of people get out of cars and trucks that can hardy move. They get a motorized cart ASAP. I move 10 times faster than they do. If they had to hit the brakes fast no way. But really is hard not to be able to drive these days. I must say they drive very careful than a lot of younger drivers yacking on there cell phones. I have had much more problems with cell phones users than the elderly.
      Art

Comment

In NC you are not required by DMV to get any kind of certificate for you hand controls, pass the drivers test, get Hand Controls on the back of the license under Conditions.
        The certified hand controls installer wanted $1200 and certificate from certified driving school (upto $1500 for lessons). Made my own hand controls($60), drove for some months, took drivers test, got the license. Surprisingly there isn't any kind of requirement of what hand or any controls should be, guess anything works as longs as you can drive safely.
        c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Comment

In 2009 New York required a similar "certification course" provided by OTs. In CA, where I am now, I guess it i the same. I was fortunate t find a new shop ru by a para who did not know the regulations. He installed my hand controls and I learned in parking lots locally. The guy who did my driving test for hand controls was an old guy who had done it a long time. He spent most of the time telling me tricks I could use and things to be wary of. I was happy to skirt the requirement because it is nothing but a trade subsidy to driving schools.

I agree that someone should legally challenge such regulations.

New York does a similar subsidy to massage schools by REQUIRING an licensed massage therapist the get a new diploma from a NY massage school or $10,000. How sick is that??

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
            I mount my hand controls brackets at a 45 degree angle on one upper corner of the pedal. That leaves most of the pedal free for foot control. If that doesn't do it for you and you want an extension for the brake only, then here's a kit. All else you need is a handle/rod and a strap to hold it in place, which you (or your son) can rig with an afternoon at Home Depot.

If you don't want to bother. You can ask your local mechanic to refer you to a metal fabricator. It will cost you a few hundred dollars. Still much cheaper than the alternatives.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WJHZS1..._t2_B00JPBBED2
            Can't figure out how this fits my needs. Your right, I need a handle, rod and a way to mount it to the brake peddle. The peddle mount and how to attach it to the rod has me stumped. I have a fair amount of tools but no tap and die sets for creating threads.

Need something like the QuikStick brake setup. https://www.amazon.com/QuicStick-Con...WPA5KWGAD3F0WG
            Don't need the gas part. Hate to spend $180 for just as rod and handle.

Comment

I am about to complete my Driver Training Program for Persons with Disabilities here in Connecticut, a state program offered to those with disabilities at no cost (http://bit.ly/2llZpgx). As a licensed driver already, my ?training? was just a few lessons in a state equipped vehicle. If I were not already licensed, I would have to do the regular driving test and exam in addition to the time in the hand control vehicle. Needless to say, I have become an advocate of a program like this for a number of reasons: a) transportation is critical for those of us with disabilities and is too often limited even in urban areas (when it is on time) and often nonexistent in rural areas; b) transportation gives many of us with disabilities the opportunity to return to work ( a savings to the state in the end and CT is a high tax state but this this expenditure doesn?t cost, it actually pays back ); c) transportation enables those of us with disabilities opportunities to be more fully participating citizens (I will return to volunteering in my community when I return to driving); and I am sure that others can add many ideas to this list. I am perplexed that programs such as this do not exist nationwide. Question: how do we change that? Are there state or national groups that could lobby for programs such as these? I would gladly add my time and voice to efforts such as this for I am now a complete convert! I?d genuinely appreciate any ideas you may have for getting politically engaged in this myself (although I am working on a couple). Thanks to everyone who contributes so much in this group.

Comment

Working...
              X