Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://louisville.craigslist.org/pt...849493881.html
    Originally posted by Dreamblvr View Post
    Please let me know if you have a resource for a used Braun Vangater! I would like to refurbish one and use it for a new vehicle. I really don?t like any of the new lifts. They are far too big, bulky and less practical for a light-weight manual chair user.

Comment

Still can't decide which one is best!! Should I go with the lightest weight one that's affordable?

Comment

I just went through this last year. Here were my requirements:
        1. full size van with a full conversion in good shape
        2. no rust
        3. windows (not a cargo van)
        4. purchase price plus renovation cost is less than conversion cost

I found an old Econoline van that met these requirements for $5K. Considering it costs $25K for a conversion, I practically got paid $20K to buy the thing.

For another $10K I restored it will all new interior, rebuilt transmission, rebuilt AC, and tune-up of all systems. I am on the fence if I should upgrade to heavy duty brakes and suspension and maybe new paint. That will bring the total to about $20K, which is still $5K less than the cost of a new conversion alone. This thing is built like a tank and should last a lifetime. You can't say that for late model vans.

Comment

Most likely I should of started a new thread but thought ask here first.
          My lift is 16 years old, now that only national company owns lift shop everytime take in with problem it takes at minium 2 visits and last time continued same proble trying load up before leaving. Shop manger said no time to check then but make appointment to be checked later.
          Each time in cost of assessment and labor plus parts keeps going up.
          My van was bought new same time as lift is 2003 which has 54K miles, fair shape so can't see buying new van.

I thinking buying new lift to just replace current one. Add up costs last 2 years is near about lift cost new and can't see keep throwing money at current lift.
          But, all new lifts have all these extra sensors, saftey equipment and looking at Youtube seems all these add to breakdowns and I don't want play paying out nose for repairs like currently done til my wife and I said enough is enough. We been using transit service last 4 months but kinda rough not having own transportation to go where/when want.
          Any recommendations on a new dependable lift with bare essential equipment minus all fance sensors/safety stuff?

Comment

Ricon Uni-Lite is bare bones and easy enough to work on yourself.

Comment

If you can find one, the Braun Swing Away is really the way to go. Reliable, easy to work on and the critical components are off the shelf items. You won't be beholden to mobility shops for repairs.

Comment

Thank you both! I will go look at their websites and info.

Comment

I have owned the Braun Swing-A-Way lifts and they were by far the most reliable and easiest to maintain. When the full size vans went to swing out doors rather than slide doors, it killed the lift in the US. The Mercedes uses a slider on both driver and passenger sides. Nice option! Braun still makes the Swing-A-Way but only for European markets. I don’t believe that they are permitted to import. I did find a low cycle used Braun Vangater lift on eBay last week and bought it for $350. It cost a lot more to have it shipped. It’s a work in progress. But, the plan is to refirb the lift to improve reliability and cut the platform 6” to shorten its length. This improves installation clearance with doors in fully stowed position and slightly improves access distance when fully deployed between lift and other objects. I’ll remove the folding motor and weld the lift into its unfolded position to minimize interior “squeak and rattling” when traveling. I’ll post more in the coming weeks. Hopefully it will work as planned. Those of you familiar with the Vangater... what would you change about it?
                  If you think that you can or if you feel you can't, either way your right.

Comment

Working...
                  X