• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-MN View Post
      Have extra pairs of gloves.

Leather insulated work gloves are very good, but still have extra pairs.

I don't think that there is that much difference in traction between tires with a tread and smooth ones.

Wheelies if you can. All weight on 'drive' wheels then, and the fronts are not causing any drag or resistance.

Any sort of incline can cause MAJOR problems (as someone else said).

Glare ice, and any sort of slope, you are screwed.

Fresh, un-trampled snow is often quite a bit easier, once snow starts to get trampled, there is a crust or layer that wheelchairs will break through, and then things get quite a bit harder to push through (this also applies to cars).

Handrims that are set close to the tire can be very hard to get a grip on.
      Thanks. What about carrying the extra pair after they are wet?

Comment

Originally posted by pete4sake View Post
        Been dealing with Minnesota winters for all my life and 34 years in chair. I rarely stay home because of snow. Usually put new tires on every October. I have been surprised that tread style doesn't seem to matter that much. Like others have said be prepared extra gloves etc. Just really think about where you park , have a cell phone on you. One trick i have used is use my vehicle to flatten snow or make a track to sidewalk.
        I think worst thing is a curb cut after snow plow goes and it doesn't get re-shoveled cause you have to go up the incline. so it kind of comes pack to really think before you park esp if no one is around. If all else fails move to Florida lol

Interesting to hear the tread style doesn't make much difference. Thanks for the tip about curb ramps.

Comment

Originally posted by Eds View Post
          I've seen where you put zip ties on with squares towards road . I've never tried this seems lot a lot of work but seem like it would work.
          Interesting idea. I don't know how well they would stay on of if they would make a big difference but I am thinking the moment you came inside with wet tires and hard floors the cabel ties would make you slip like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender lady View Post
            I use a power chair and have gotten stuck in the mushy snow. I just spin. I too have used my glove under a tire to get traction. Had to call someone upstairs once to get out. I have learned to not stop or slow down once I am moving until I get to the door and then I close my vehicle door. Yes zip ties can work until you go inside and catch the rug or carpet. I just think a little more about going out a thinking of parking lot conditions. Seldom stay home because of snow.
            Glad to hear you don't stay in because of the weather. That's encouraging. Scary you have to worry about keeping moving. AB folks have no idea of the stuff we deal with just to do something ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
              Glad to hear you don't stay in because of the weather. That's encouraging. Scary you have to worry about keeping moving. AB folks have no idea of the stuff we deal with just to do something ordinary.
              I think AB's have broken more hips trying to walk on ice/snow than we have. We are probably lucky to be wheeling through it. I guess.

Comment

I've been considering using projection/oblique handrims (paralyzed hands) and was wondering if anyone else has experienced them with snow.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                  I have never used a chair in snow and I don't know what to expect. Can anyone tell me what it's like and give some tips on how to do it?
                  Thank you
                  There really is only 2 obvious answers to this question. I suppose it really depends on how deep the snow is. If there's only a sprinkling of snow then it's not going to be too much of an issue, although it will still be slippery so I should probably avoid sloping pavements near to roads that have traffic. If the snow is quite deep then quite frankly you would be stupid to even go outside in a wheelchair.

Certainly wear a pair of warm gloves
                  Tetraplegic & Spinal Injury Site

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNt5FnMK2sM

Comment

Working...
                    X