Hand Control Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
    Click image for larger version  Name:	215B1FD1-CACF-4BAE-8FCF-C401A0C7C40F.jpeg Views:	46 Size:	369.6 KB ID:	2915163 Nothing terribly exciting, I'm afraid! It's a 2019 Honda Passport.
    You can't go wrong with Honda or Toyotas. They are pretty bulletproof. And, electronic accelerators (which are now ubiquitous) open the door to really excellent hand control implementations!

My homemade controls use a bicycle brake handle for throttle, separating accelerator and brake functions to two very distinctly different muscle groups. If you like to drive aggressively on roads that you need to turn and brake for, it makes it a lot more satisfying. Almost like not being paralyzed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0252.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	2915228
    Last edited by pfcs49; 25 Nov 2021, 4:24 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post

You can't go wrong with Honda or Toyotas. They are pretty bulletproof. And, electronic accelerators (which are now ubiquitous) open the door to really excellent hand control implementations!

My homemade controls use a bicycle brake handle for throttle, separating accelerator and brake functions to two very distinctly different muscle groups. If you like to drive aggressively on roads that you need to turn and brake for, it makes it a lot more satisfying. Almost like not being paralyzed.
      That sounds really cool. So, the accelerator is a brake lever mounted on the push to stop bar? Does a cable do the actuating, like on a bicycle brake?

I'm just getting left hand Push/Rock. I like how easy it is to operate that configuration with both hands on the wheel, and my left arm fully supported on the door's armrest. (I don't use a spinner knob.) I can only imagine it's gonna be much easier with the drive by wire. It comes with a spring and adjuster so I can dial in the tension just right, and a "half response" switch that cuts the throttle response in half for more control over very small distances. 👍
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

It's definitely a huge improvement! The brake function is unrelated to the throttle so the whole arm assembly is essentially on a hinge; it moves along a horizontal plane towards the dash; you can put weight on it if you like. And it's close enough to the wheel that you can throttle with your 4rth and pinky fingers while using the others to hold the wheel. (When only one hand is on the wheel, you are (in addition to steering) actually holding your arm up in space which gets fatiguing pretty quickly, however you can drive with your left hand and the control supports it)
        The angle where the arm mounting bracket hinges to the arm itself is very easily adjusted (one nut) and determines the space between the wheel and the inside of the throttle (bicycle brake handle). There is a sweet spot where you can't foul your hand on it AND the wheel is close enough for one handed operation. And, as mentioned, because there's no heavy/complex throttle linkage requiring a heavy return spring, you can set your accelerator pressure very low, low enough to easily control it with a finger or two. I often drive with the cup of my palm over the throttle; rotating the "cup" with a rocking motion of the hand nicely controls the gas. (why the shiny aluminum shows at the top of the handle)
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Working...
        X