Hand Control Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy View Post
    I think I need 485HP, nice level of performance. Why does that anger you so?

And I dont think having non-worn out tie rod ends should be the benchmark for a vehicle. Unless that is the first car you owned with non-worn out suspension components?

And why do you keep crabbing on Ed's Monte SS? From what I hear, he is continuing to enjoy that thing for around 70K miles IIRC with only tires and brakes needing changing since I sold it to him. That 303HP V8 under the hood of that I am sure made those miles a barrel of fun as well. Nope, no victim there.
    Andy would be correct. Except the SS has 90K on it, currently. Managed to get 88K on the factory brakes. I honestly have no complaints. I previously drove a E-350 (2003) Tuscany Conversion, purchased off showroom..... until 2013.... it rolled the 105K mark... started to have numerous issues with the lift, and it started the nickel and diming.... time for it to depart. It served me great.... easily loaded my handcycle in it, sit-ski's, water sit-skis.... etc.... was great for tailgating at venues. Excellent for hauling very heavy items, came in very handy with the construction company I helped run then. I didn't mind the whole lift idea and transfer seat etc.... that vehicle was helping me still achieve living a life and it made me money.

Had a 1998 SVT Mustang, yellow convertible, when I busted my back, along with a F-350 7.3L diesel... again for the company. Then a trusty little Ford Ranger, 1992, again purchased in 2000, with only 47,000 miles and absolutely zero rust on it.... old timer who recently retired from 40 years as an electrician, the truck was a whopping $2,500. Sold it to one of my workers and he put 190K miles on it, before it basically withered away in rust.

Kept kicking around the idea at a Mustang, when dealing in selling the van.... just didn't want to pull the trigger.... saw Andy had the SS up for sale here on the forums, and when we briefly talked, I took a ride to see it, quite honestly, I didn't want to pass up the great price. No where could I touch it for that price, unless it was maybe a family member selling? First big trip.... to Wendell, NC to visit a guy who recently became a quad amputee. Car handled perfect.... it should have for the low mileage I purchased it with. Yeah, it has its wear and tear now, it's a beater for tooling around the area. I'd drive it in a heartbeat across country.... I know it'll have zero issues. It's fluids are maintained when they always should be, and because I'm a little weary of 300hp going directly to the trans, literally, it's front wheel drive... odd I know... I changed the trans fluid/filter completely at 80K. Its color was perfect and no burning odors.

Andy rip me off?.... no way! If that were the case, I'd most likely not communicate with him any longer.

He got his SRT, and brought it over.... I knew nothing about the cars. Digging around and learning for 2 years, I decided I wanted a 500+hp again..... with his help, he located the Scat Pack I have now.... again, couldn't pass up the huge rebates, and the fact I had a pretty basic Scat Pack, but has the SRT motor, and it saved me $10,000.... on springing for the SRT or Shaker model.
    I want my SP for the engine.... I'm not concerned with the fancy interior options of a vehicle any longer, quite honestly I see it as money being tossed out a window, on a windy day. More than 1/2 that crap would stop being used by a vehicle owner, in just a few years, of owning the vehicle.

Comment

Here’s what Featherlite’s look like in my Sienna.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for actually contributing to this thread!
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Check out the Veigel Classic II

it's on the right side so if you are transferring it is totally out of your way, more so than any hand control on the left side of the steering wheel can be

plus it has a brake lock so you won't be stuck holding the brake at stop lights like all those other hand control chumps

Comment

Before the van, I used Menox which are about identical to the Viegel. Have about 100k miles using them in 2 different vehicles. I miss the brake hold feature it was handy for sure.

Comment

Right side hand controls should have a brake hold feature. Because how else can you shift in/out of park and reverse? With left side hand controls you can hold the brake with your left hand and shift gears with your right hand. Last but not least, left side hand controls enable to you to control the gas, brake, and steer all with the left hand (not recommended for long but doable for a second) so you can shift a clutchless manual transmission, adjust the radio, climate control, or just sip your drink with your right hand.

Comment

good point!
                69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                NW NJ

Comment

Wow. Thanks for all the input! I?ve used the basic left handed push/pull type hand controls for 35 years now. It might take a bit of getting used to if I switch it up now with my new car, but I?m glad to see there are so many options. I?ll have to see what works best for me. Thanks again! -Crazy8

Comment

Ah I suppose that is a feature for those who do not use cruise control all the time like myself. Plus with the steering wheel controls I don't find myself wishing my hand controls were on the other side. I don't mean to bash the left side...but I think hell would have to freeze over for me to go to holding the brakes manually!

Comment

Originally posted by juniorsenior View Post
                      Ah I suppose that is a feature for those who do not use cruise control all the time like myself.
                      To each his own. That's why there are so many options. Do you use cruise control for city driving?

Comment

JuniorSenior, like you, I am just sharing my ideas not bashing someone else's ideas. But I do have some concerns about right side hand controls. If you are adjusting the radio, climate control, or just sipping your drink (naturally with your right hand), then you don't have either hand on the brake at that moment. I find that to be dangerous. You never know when you need to slam on the brake. Any delay on the brake could be the difference between life and death.

We all get away things we shouldn't do... until we don't. Then we end up in a wheelchair or worse.

Please don't take this personally. It's my 2 cents and I think it's worth sharing.

People drive from their wheelchairs that don't have backs that are above their neck. Why? Because it's convenient. To each his own. But what if you get rear ended and whiplash? You could go from a para to a quad. Maybe I'm just getting older and more careful. But safety matters more to me now. If it mattered more to me 36 years ago, maybe I wouldn't be a para today.
                        Last edited by August West; 3 Mar 2019, 9:48 PM.

Comment

For the OP, SureGrip who makes the Featherlite’s also has a mechanical line. Either can be left or right side and they have 4 formats of motion for either.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                            Wow. Thanks for all the input! I?ve used the basic left handed push/pull type hand controls for 35 years now. It might take a bit of getting used to if I switch it up now with my new car, but I?m glad to see there are so many options. I?ll have to see what works best for me. Thanks again! -Crazy8
                            Pardon the trainwreck of a thread, but the Featherlites are available in a push/pull configuration also. Also note that Chrysler also will toss in $1K towards the purchase of hand controls for that Challenger reducing the comparatively higher cost of electronic controls in comparison to mechanical. I'd go with Featherlites

http://featherlite-hvl.com/

Comment

Thanks for the link Andy. Very informative site. Also, I was glad to see that Chrysler is still doing the $1K rebate for my hand controls. I understand the rules have gotten quite strict. Back in the day the dealership would just give me the check to go and get my hand controls. Now, from what I understand, it is much more complicated. You need to go to a certified installer blah, blah, blah. Hey for thousand bucks I?ll play their game.

This is is totally unrelated, but anyone have a clue why when I use some punctuation symbols in this forum they always come up on my posts as question marks? I am using an iPhone and even though I preview my posts, once I hit send some symbols are switched to question marks. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it?s just a glitch?

Comment

No clue why but I have the same issue. Using an IPhone also.

Comment

Working...
                                X