No announcement yet.

Opinions, reviews, & recommendations please -Time to get a new power wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message me if you have any issues setting up a weekend demo. Some of Permobil field reps are old school thinking and will not allow it but we have worked with directors to get it approved!!

Comment

The VA pays for seat elevators with appropriate justification.

Comment

I like all chairs mentioned. Have a Quantum Q6, that would be vintage now due to over 6 years old. Group 22 didn't bother me since I'm not out much and hence no problem with mileage. Never had problem with the chair itself til a few weeks ago and main joystick died going through profiles to seating functions.
        Got new main joystick out of Canada for $159 with shipping. That is fraction of cost in USA. ***"Thanks for pointers from members on this board.******
        Permobil are well built chairs and the seating is great! Mama has a 350 and I've used it on many occasions. DME said about 1 to 2 years ago it needed replaced instead of repaired, leaking motors/gearboxes. Posted before our old independent DME sold to national company that just did not come to agreement on new chairs for Mama and I.
        Group 34 batteries may be larger than Group 22NF's but their longevity I don't think is as good.
        My AmySystem Alltrack 3 HD was ordered way to big, should of not taken delivery but did and same timeline national DME said need to replace instead of repair. It's powerful, speed and torque. Well balanced on ramps and handles our rural curbs fairly well if street is dry but will spin unless get bit speed before climbing. Our driveway was put in flush so no problem here or some of neighborhood that had same done with their driveways, no sidewalks on streets since rural. Mama and I do have sidewalks around our home. It has Group 24 batteries and they have plently mileage, I guess cause never put to any mileage test. But, the Group 24 batteries do have a great longevity for a wheelchair battery.
        FWD chairs I really enjoy better than any other drive-wheel setup. Before moving here we lived in highrise and I often, like daily instead of fighting entry doors to lobby would go up or down garage ramps since only had use my card key to get inside and FWD go up/down 5 levels in parking garage vehicle ramps with no problems looking for short or no lines waiting on elevators in glassed off areas for them.
        Forward, reverse, turning no matter forward or backwards no problems.
        If ever brave new chair quest I'd enjoy trying Permobil F3, I really think if it comes with Group 24 or 22NF's batteries that be one of my main choices for a demo.

Comment

Originally posted by wchair View Post
          It's time for me to get a new power wheelchair. I haven't looked into chairs in 5 years, so I'm not sure what's changed or if there is anything new out there. Thought I would see what everyone on here has to say.
          I'm currently in the Invacare TDX SP that's 5 years old. I'm a C5 quad and this chair has power tilt/recline/legs and a seat elevator. I'm going to need all of these in my new chair.
          So, that limits my options somewhat. I know I can get another Invacare chair or a Permobil. But, are there any other options? It doesn't seem like much has changed in 5 years. But, please let me know if there any other options and what you think of your chairs.
          Thank you, Eric
          I was a long time Invacare user. I just bought an AmySystems Alltrack R3 Hybrid. I'm real happy with it. You might want to demo their chairs.
          http://amysystems.com/

There's an AmySystems thread here.
          https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...-it-holding-up
          "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

You nailed it on the head. Pride just doesn't make as good a chair as Permobil. Owned multiple of pride products, zero problems with my Permobil. Many, many problems with Pride. Just ordered an F3 I expect to take delivery of next week. Most important factor is reliability. I drive from my chair and the Permobils tilt will make it easier. Good luck.

Comment

So just to put a cap on this thread… I tried a Permobil M5 last week and decided to order it. I got till, recline, 14 inch elevator which rolls at walking speed if not a bit faster, anterior tilt as well. Top speed 7 1/2 miles per hour. I like the mid-wheelchairs… I have been in mid-wheelchairs for a long time, so it's just a comfort factor thing. Seems like it's going to be a very nice chair.
              Thanks again for chiming in with all the wheelchair information. I'll post back when I get it if there are any particular likes, dislikes or problems

Comment

Hi, my first post!

I used a manual chair for 38 years. Now I am going to get a power chair. I weigh 300 lbs and live on a small steep hill (20% grade with 50' high hill). I can get my choice of chairs.

I am looking at the Sunrise/Quickie HD or the Permobil HD. I would really like 8MPH. I live in a semi-urban area (Bellevue, WA) that would be great to scoot around with a high-range chair.

What are the pros & cons of the motors and controls? It there something else to consider/need to know?

My sales rep is not going a trusted source of information.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinH View Post
                  Hi, my first post!

I used a manual chair for 38 years. Now I am going to get a power chair. I weigh 300 lbs and live on a small steep hill (20% grade with 50' high hill). I can get my choice of chairs.

I am looking at the Sunrise/Quickie HD or the Permobil HD. I would really like 8MPH. I live in a semi-urban area (Bellevue, WA) that would be great to scoot around with a high-range chair.

What are the pros & cons of the motors and controls? It there something else to consider/need to know?

My sales rep is not going a trusted source of information.
                  Welcome, Kevin

I'm not sure if 8mph motors are going to be available in that weight class. The main thing you want to make sure of is that you get high quality, group 24 batteries. More important is to keep them charged, everyday after use.

Comment

Ok, definitely planning on getting some G24 batteries with 85AH or better. Will include lights and a tilt seat.

Are the high-speed motors different or do they simply use a different control setup?

Comment

Not sure what's available with the current powerchairs, but torque is more important than speed in the powerchair world, and unfortunately I don't think both will be available with an off the shelf unit. I think the highest amp control system is 120 amp. that's what you'll probably need if you're talking hills, even short ones. You can glean all the info you'll even need at the wheelchairdriver forum.

Comment

Does anybody make a chair with a lithium battery?

Comment

I think Bounder might offer a lithium as an upgrade.

Comment

I talked with Sunrise, PerMobil and Bounder today. Only Bounder has a lithium option. Dick at Bounder is 83 years old and a great help. Bounder chairs are crazy expensive. I will try to one of them through my insurance. They take 8 weeks to build.
                            Link http://www.wheelchairs.com/drive_train.htm

Dick at Bounder recommended the chain drive over a geared V-belt or a regular fan belt. He said it is not much louder than the motors.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Comment

I am going to try and get a Bounder chair. They do have a Lithium battery for almost $4000 with 24V & 100AH.

Will likely have a chain drive per Bounder tech suggestion. I am sensitive to noise, but was it is not much louder than the motors. I will get lights and tilt.

Thoughts and suggestions?
                              Last edited by KevinH; 30 May 2019, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I personally have no experience with the Bounder chair. I know they've been around for awhile and are pretty beefy.

Comment

Working...
                                X