car cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car cushions

I am recovering from a nasty skin breakdown in my tailbone area which I believe was mainly brought on by driving ( I had been on a long trip but I also drive a lot for work).
    Anyway I was wondering if anybody could recommend any solutions.

I use a low profile Roho quadtro select in the car.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
      Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
        I use a regular Roho low profile in the car. I prefer the Quadtro and that ( high profile) has been my primary wheelchair cushion for years. When the time come to replace car cushion it will be a quadtro also.

Comment

Y'all out here throwin money around. I chose the roho LTV cushion for $100 instead of the $400 quadtro cushion. Difference is number of cells, thickness of rubber (LTV being much thinner but has survived 2 Wisconsin summers and winters without being taken out of the vehicle). It works fine for me and I'm getting quite the bony butt as I have no spasms and am 6 years post.

Comment

Lurch,

Regarding "... brought on by driving ... any solutions."

This topic may be helpful for auto-related solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by WC_Sage View Post
              Lurch,

Regarding "... brought on by driving ... any solutions."

This topic may be helpful for auto-related solutions.
              for pressure relief there is no comparison to the protection provided by roho's air cushions. I've used those gel types and that was when I got a pressure sore

Comment

Originally posted by juniorsenior View Post
                Y'all out here throwin money around. I chose the roho LTV cushion for $100 instead of the $400 quadtro cushion. Difference is number of cells, thickness of rubber (LTV being much thinner but has survived 2 Wisconsin summers and winters without being taken out of the vehicle). It works fine for me and I'm getting quite the bony butt as I have no spasms and am 6 years post.
                Ditto. I keep this cushion in the car and use it for any trips lasting more than 20-30 minutes. And as an added bonus, my wife loves to use it when we go to sporting events.

Comment

So I got a roho low profile on everyone's advice and I was wondering is there some special method to using it? do you just throw it on top of your seat covers or attach it to the seat somehow or what? I really think that having it not move somehow would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                    So I got a roho low profile on everyone's advice and I was wondering is there some special method to using it? do you just throw it on top of your seat covers or attach it to the seat somehow or what? I really think that having it not move somehow would be good.

It should stay in place if you leave the cover on.

My car has leather seats so I have always left the cover off , if the cushion shifts at all when I transfer in I can move the roho around easier with cover off.

One thought not related, I live in Virginia where it can get very hot in the summer. If I am going to leave it in the car during hot weather I deflate cushion so it won't expand and spring a leak. A low profile inflates quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by ChesBay View Post
                      It should stay in place if you leave the cover on.

My car has leather seats so I have always left the cover off , if the cushion shifts at all when I transfer in I can move the roho around easier with cover off.

One thought not related, I live in Virginia where it can get very hot in the summer. If I am going to leave it in the car during hot weather I deflate cushion so it won't expand and spring a leak. A low profile inflates quickly.
                      Thanks for the tip...Just to clarify you leave your car seat covers off? I will have to be aware of the heat thing being in Queensland.

Comment

Thanks for the tip...Just to clarify you leave your car seat covers off? I will have to be aware of the heat thing being in Queensland.
                        Sorry if I wasn't clear... I leave the cover off of my Roho low profile cushion. I would suggest trying the cushion with cover on and off and see which suits you best. With the cushion cover off I find it easiest to manuver the roho around to get it exactly where I want it while sittting on it in the car after transfer. On the leather car seat it moves pretty easily and I am lifting myself up a bit as I adjust it. It might not shift on you at all when you transfer , with or without cover, and I am only talking about an inch or two in my circumstance.

I did think you are in Southern hemisphere and the middle of summer. A car with closed windows can get pretty hot.

Good luck. I think you are smart to be driving on a cushion.

Comment

Hey Lurch, I left a visitor's message on your home page, but no sure if you got it. I wanted to follow up with you and see if utilizing the ROHO helped with the pressure to your sacral area. I have a sports car which is a little on the low side, but the bigger issue (I think) are the seat bolsters, which I think just beat up my newly-healed tailbone scar.

The bolsters are those raised portions on the side of the seats to provide side-support for your legs. They're not really great for making transfers easy, however...I'm not sure if simply putting a ROHO there will help 100% or if I'm going to have to consider a custom driver's seat.
                          No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Comment

I use elephant fat then put a seat cover over it

Comment

Originally posted by Tufelhunden View Post
                              Hey Lurch, I left a visitor's message on your home page, but no sure if you got it. I wanted to follow up with you and see if utilizing the ROHO helped with the pressure to your sacral area. I have a sports car which is a little on the low side, but the bigger issue (I think) are the seat bolsters, which I think just beat up my newly-healed tailbone scar.

The bolsters are those raised portions on the side of the seats to provide side-support for your legs. They're not really great for making transfers easy, however...I'm not sure if simply putting a ROHO there will help 100% or if I'm going to have to consider a custom driver's seat.
                              Not sure what the seat bolsters have to do with where you sit when you drive? The transfer onto the bolster when getting in your car is not long enough to do any damage. You'll be fine with a Roho on your seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X