Getting back into your wheelchair from the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Art454 View Post
    Here is what I have. Two Wheel Hydraulic Platform Lift Truck-Foot Operated . Change it over and buy a electic 110 volt winch. I have 2 of these. Your spare ROHO fits perfect. Goggle search it. I even glued a piece of carpet to the platform. You have to weld a plate at the top of it then weld a good size ring to the platform for a hook. Have used this for 40 years now.
    https://handtrucks2go.com/Two-Wheel-....html....model 2600015 or look for Wesco 2 wheel cart 2600015.
    Your link didn't work for me. I assume you mean this?

https://handtrucks2go.com/Two-Wheel-...m-Stacker.html

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Yup that's the 2 I have. Thanks KLD. They are made by Wesco. I have the 54 inch high model. They also make a 40 inch model I see now. You have to be able to make things as I was a Tool and Die Maker. Don't cheap out on the winch. I bought the warn 1500 pound winch. Never had any problems with it. You need to take care of it because if it breaks you could really get hurt. Why I said get a good winch. And keep hand and finger from under the base incase anything happens.
      Anybody trying this needs the right tools to build this.
      Art

Comment

After 44 years in a wheelchair if I fall out of my chair I don't have the strength in my arm anymore to get into my chair. That's 26 inches up to get back into chair. About 10 years ago it was winter and I thought the ground was froze enough as I wanted to get something in my electric chair. I went to back up in a electric rear wheel drive chair and the front wheels sank into the mud some. Tried to back up front wheels would not swivel and back wheels started to dig into the ground. No gloves or coat on either. No phone had to do something fast or freeze to death. So I took my feet off the foot rest and moved them to the side and lowered myself to the ground staying on my side as not to injure my skinny ass. Moved the front wheels and moved the joystick to back it up and they just spun the tires. So I rocked the chair and the joystick to move back and it finally got on solid ground. Now have frozen had to get back in chair. Well I didn't have the balls to lift myself in the chair. So I got my hands on the arm rest on my stomach moved side to side to get my knees up drag myself close to chair and with my arms and head got halfway up then twisted myself and finally got back into chair. Only 6 feet away from the darn door and by the time I got back in heated garage I stayed in front of furnace about 1/2 hour. After that went into bed to check out the damage and knees were scraped up as well as the top of my feet as my shoes came off getting back into chair. Took a shower and cleaned myself up and it took about 4 weeks for all the scrapes to heal. I was very carefull as not to hurt a shoulder doing all that as that would be a really bad deal as the same as my skinny ass. 20 years ago that be no big deal as I could get from ground to chair with no problems. But as you get older you loose the muscle to do that. Now any time I go in the yard I take a shovel with me and cell phone just in case. If that happened today no way I could try that. I would just have to call 911 as I no I don't have it in me to do that again. 20 years ago in the early winter was going around the side of the house in the same type of chair and it slide off the concrete the rear wheel went off the side and as it was tipping over sideways I rolled as it hit the ground. Back then had the muscle to get on my roho push the chair back up and slide it back on the sidewalk and just lifted myself back in. No big deal then. 20 years ago when it happened I could pick up a 5 gallon water jug by the neck and just lift it up 30 inches on a 2x4 on my legs to put it on the water cooler. Today I can only maybe just lift that same 5 gallon water jug maybe a inch off the floor. Sucks I no but as you get older you just wear down.
        Art

Comment

Well Art. One thing for sure. You are not alone. I probably would have pooped my pants trying to get back up and in the chair.
          I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

Working...
          X